Just Another Day, Maybe Not
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2013 by Jerrod

Author's note: There have been a few comments about the direction this story was taking. So much was favouring going back and getting on with those two witches, I mean, those two darlings, rather than never going back. Like Bob (Lubrican) in some of his stories, I decided on an Alpha and a Bravo version from Chapter Seven on. I seem to always be harder on my story girls than most people think I should be.

In this, the Beta version, There is the chance of going back' Hell, Ray does go back but everything may not be right though.

Upon reflection all this was probably my fault. The idea of being a King had gone to my head. I had begun to think I really might give an order. Too late, but now realized that it was not so. It had cost me everything and it was a mistake.

Even that original plan to move to California was now in question. The greatest desire was to just disappear and avoid any people or places where I might be known. I knew that there were a few more things left to do back home, my previous home, and would let John do all he could before returning there one last time. I had been a fool regarding Leslie and Daphne and realized I would be paying for that mistake the rest of my life.

I remembered the pledge to protect both women, my vow, I also recalled Leslie's words, "You too must freely choose to stay. Daphne may have been a bit excited and placed undo influence on you, as I may have also."

As I now saw things, the decision to leave before we would learn to hate each other was, in a way, fulfilling my vow to protect them, at least I considered it such. During the next few months there was a constant desire for me to race back there, beg forgiveness and be satisfied with being a fake King.

After a bit, three more months, I had a difficult time even remembering their names. When I contacted John, he asked if I had called or seen Leslie or Daphne. My response sort of answered that question, "I miss them both."

That very last time they were ever mentioned to me really got to me. I wanted to go back, fix the remaining things I should have corrected and return. I noted that a return would lead back to Leslie and Daphne and it brought me a momentary smile.

I selected one bag for clothes and such, got cash, several pre-paid Visa cards and a debit card for a checking, savings account that had a little over $328,000 in it and started heading towards the East, to the coast this time.

Air seemed the best right now for me to use.

At the terminal was a huge poster that said, 'Welcome To Charleston' Mayor Joe Riley. There was nothing much there except a phone on a desk and a placard touting the services of a hire car to take you almost anywhere.

I asked the driver who came for me where was a good place to stay at? His answer was something I never thought much about.

"Well son if you stop thinking like a 'Damn Yankee' we got us some fine places here. Charleston Place on Meeting St, or the French Quarter Inn on Church St are known for Southern Hospitality. If you can stand when, 'Dixie' is played you will do all right with them."

I understood why he had said what he did. Instead of the expected Confederate Flags, most were from the American Revolution, some the Civil war, and the room rates had to be the highest in the city, but you knew this was the South there.

I checked into a nice room, asked for a map and an idea of places to go. When I told the desk clerk I was not a tourist but wanted to find a place to live, she told me that downtown was not the place, unless I was some rich playboy, then she might show me around.

I laughed, or tried to, remembering the past I told her that I would hire her to help me learn about the city and no I was not a playboy, just wanted to have a place to call home.

"She must have really hurt you then?"

"Some, but actually, it was me that probably hurt them more!"

Her name was Wendy and she looked at me confused by the word 'them' but gave me a look that seemed to infer that he understood. Nevertheless we made me her good deed and planned a search of the town the next day since she was off.

She called my room at the hotel early the next morning. I came down and just stared at her. She was dressed about the same as I was except for her shirt rolled up baring her flat midriff.

"Hey, quit stealing my clothes!" she mocked.

I, like the mature gentleman I am, just stuck out my tongue at her and smiled.

She shook her head and pulled me by the hand. That touch was like electricity. I began to worry if and how we would keep this strictly business. She seemed to pick up on my reaction to her touch.

"Don't worry Sailor, I'm not keeping you and will just throw you back to get caught again. I vowed if anything came along it would have to be someone who would keep me in the manner that I wanted to become accustomed to and you already said you were not a rich playboy, so you're safe with me."

I should have told her that was not my only concern. What was it that made me feel so at ease with these woman, first Daphne, then Leslie now Wendy. Would I never learn?

"I'm driving, any problem with that?"

"No Ma'am, I'm just tagging along, your in charge!"

"Damn straight!"

We went off. "Do you want a house, apartment or a Townhouse/Condo. Any wife. girlfriend or kids to consider?"

She looked ahead as she said that to me. I choked up a bit, then answered, "No Ma'am, just drive to some places you might like!"

Now she looked at me with a twinkle in her eyes. "Yes Sir, Admiral."

We drove to several developments and many more areas. She asked me what kind of work I did or jobs I wanted. I told her I solved problems and worked from home, when I worked. I got a pained look on my face when I said that, thought about Mom and Dad and the time at the Castle.

"Hey, Wendy, you never let me get any food at the hotel, just shanghaied me and we drove off."

"Up ahead there is a restaurant."

I saw a Mickey 'D' and thought 'Oh No'.

We turned around and started down Spring Street until I saw water and the Crosby's Seafood sign. My mouth was watering.

"I'm so hungry I want one of everything," I said.

"That won't fill you up sailor, this time of day all they have is whatever fresh fish is in."

"Six then, plus whatever you are having!"

Both were not exactly true statements. We found several 'catch of the day' and the traditional frozen entrees, soups and desserts.

The meal was not great but it was not bad either. Gumbo was both our choice of hot soup. Shrimp, crab cakes and a sort of catfish steak filled us up, even with her reaching over and kidnapping shrimp off my plate.

"Okay, that's enough there, how do you stay in such great shape, don't they feed you much at home?"

At that point, she turned and stated to cry. 'Why do women cry all the time?' I thought.

"I'm sorry, what you said just brought some problems to mind! I just tried to leave them all behind and enjoy today."

"No, I'm sorry Wendy; I spoke without thinking, something I have done in the past and why I too just want to leave that behind me."

I told her a little of the mistake with Daphne and Leslie. "What happened to you?" I asked.

She told me how her Mom had been killed and her Dad hurt in an auto accident. He could not work now, medical bills were piling up and any money from the accident was years away it seemed. She was nineteen and had taken the part-time work at the hotel to try to make ends meet. No, there was not much to eat at home. She was sorry to act as she had.

Now tears were starting in my eyes. Just like that feeling in the grocery store when I had seen the note, the need to do what was right; to help anyone who truly needed it came to the forefront.

"Hey, remember what I said I did, solving problem, Hell this is a problem made to be solved."

I then had 110 pounds of crying, squiggly girl in my arms.

"Hey girl, let's see your Dad, give me some additional information and this can all be solved."

Roper Hospital was where he was. Wendy signed me in. I got the room number where her Dad was in, told her to go up and I would be there in a few. After finding directions to the administrator, not as easy as it sounds; I walked in. The easiest way to get attention is to bluff. I did.

"I was told my client, in room 2345-A is being mistreated and being ignored because his work has no insurance. I asked to see your legal dept. and was told to see the administrator first. Well where is he or do I need to see a judge?"

"No, I am in. My name is Bonnie, and you are?"

"I am Ray and I want to make certain the James Jones in room 2345-A first receives proper and adequate treatment and then to arrange payment of his bills here. I need to add counsel on the phone, in your office now or before a judge later, or over coffee even." As I gave her a smile and a wink.

"Listen Buster, I'm married but until that wink I dreaded any encounter with you or a judge."

"Bonnie, Jim was hit, badly injured and his wife was killed. His daughter, Wendy has been trying to do what she can. The insurance companies are trying to steamroller her because she is only a girl to them, to me she is a friend and I mean to make them pay. Let's make a call then I will get out of your hair while you fix Jim up.'

We called John; he made some calls and told me to meet an Andrew Bauer this afternoon at the insurance company's lawyer. He informed Bonnie what was happening and informed her that if she needed periodic payment to send him an invoice, but felt certain the local agent here would take care of those expenses especially when john tells him the amount of the lawsuit he was asking for. Bonnie just smiled at me as I left her office and went to Room 2345-A.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.