Building a Dream - Cover

Building a Dream

Copyright© 2013 by SW MO Hermit

Chapter 4

Whenever he could find the time to work as an engineer Sam worked on designs for several new farm implements and a small tractor. His tractor, of course, was limited by the engine. So far he had not come up with a working engine strong enough to do much work. He was now waiting on his fourth attempt to be shipped to him from the shop he had hired to manufacture it.

Three weeks after the Phelps clan came to work for Sam and his family he again made a trip into Nacogdoches. This time he took Dove with him to help. They found and shot the game he needed to deliver with no problems. After giving it a quick field dressing they put it into the wagon with the other items they brought for sale and headed for town. This trip turned out to be a quick one. They sold all their meat and produce within three hours. Sam went into his favorite general store for the few items they needed and headed for the freight office at the railroad depot. He wanted to see if his new engine had been received yet.

The stationmaster said, "No Sir, Mr. Pritchard. We don't have your freight yet. Why don't you wait a couple hours though? We did get a telegraph that it was shipped. We have a train due in early this afternoon and we can see if it's on it if you have time to wait."

Sam and Dove decided to wait for the afternoon train just on the off chance the engine was on board. They wandered back into town to wile the time away. They slowly walked down the main street entering first one then another of the businesses shopping to pass the time. About three p.m. they decided to have a cup of coffee and some pie at a nice looking café near the station.

The café was across the street from a seedy little saloon and two doors down from the train station. When they turned to enter the café one of the rough looking men sitting on the saloon porch yelled at them. He said, "Hey, you there. This here's a respectable town. We don't allow no damn Indians on the streets and we damn sure don't allow them to go into our café's like they was regular folks. You and your squaw just get on outta town afore I have ta teach ya some manners now. Ya hear?"

Sam felt Dove tense up and start to turn from the café. He gently but firmly held onto her arm. He turned to the man and glared at him then said, "I think you've let the alcohol overload your common sense son. I'll assume you're drunk and overlook your rudeness this time. Now we're going to have our coffee and relax a spell then we'll move on."

The man jumped from his seat and reached for his gun. He didn't have it in his hand yet when he stopped. He felt his asshole pucker and fear surged through his stomach. He was looking down the barrel of Sam's revolver. Sam said, "You almost made a fatal mistake there partner. Now why don't you just hold that pistol by two fingers and bring it over here to me real careful like?"

The now sweating cowboy licked his lips and began to move slowly toward Sam. When he got about three feet away Sam held his left hand out and gently took the young man's pistol. He handed the pistol to Dove and carefully frisked the man down. Sam stepped back and said, "Ok now. Why don't you just start walking down the street away from the station there? You keep going until you're at least three blocks away then maybe you should sit down and think about your day so far. When we leave I'll leave your pistol at the freight office over there. Now MOVE!"

Sam and Dove watched until the man was several buildings away then they went into the café and had their late afternoon coffee and pie. They sat and visited with customers until they heard the train whistle. Sam paid for their snack and they walked arm in arm to the station. Sam watched the doors open on one of the box cars and a freight agent jumped down. He talked to the station manager for a moment. The Station Manager turned and walked toward Sam.

When the Station Manager got to Sam he grinned and said, "Well Mr. Pritchard it's your lucky day. Your freight is in that box car right there. If you want to bring your wagon over we can just off load your freight straight onto it and you can be on your way."

It only took a few minutes for Sam to get the wagon and have the small engine loaded into it. He and Dove quickly finished the paperwork with the station and moved off down the trail toward home. They knew they couldn't make it all the way but decided to sleep on the trail instead of get a room in town.

Near the spot Sam found Jane they were attacked by three rough looking men. Sam tensed when he saw them come out of the lane to the camping spot. They looked toward Sam's wagon and the leader of the three motioned toward them. They turned and began riding toward Sam and Dove. They spread out slightly as they did so and pulled their pistols. Sam was reaching for his pistol when he heard the first shots. He stopped the wagon and returned the fire. He fired three times and was aiming his fourth shot when he felt a tug on his left arm and a searing pain. About that time he heard horses behind the wagon and the sound of another shot from the rear.

Sam said, "Dove get inside the wagon and see how many are behind us."

As Dove was scrambling inside the wagon Sam jumped down on the side away from the rider coming from the rear. He heard him yelling, "We got ya now asshole. After we kill ya we're gonna use yer squaw fer awhile." He laughed and continued, "Hell, if she's good enuf we may not even kill her after. We may jus keep er fer a while."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.