A Reluctant Hero
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2013 by Douglas Fox

Evening, November 30, 2013, Woods above County Road 595, Nineteen miles east of Curlew, WA

Josh and Molly's sexual escapade tired the two out enough so they could enjoy naps. They lay on top of one open sleeping bag and used the second as a blanket. They slept naked, side by side. Josh woke up first. The orange glow on the western side of the tent told Josh it was time to get up and get going. They packed their things and climbed down the hill through the trees carefully. Their eyes gradually grew accustomed to the darkness. The snow cover, lit by the crescent moon in the western sky provided enough light to hike without turning on their flashlights.

Josh and Molly followed the dirt road east. They passed a few more houses, all of which seemed to have been ransacked and deserted. They didn't investigate further for fear of finding someone else like the old man hiding nearby. They passed a sign announcing, "Colville National Forest." They didn't see more houses after that.

The temperature dropped quickly after the sun set. Molly and Josh saw ice forming on puddles along the road. The snow began to crunch under their boots. Hiking kept them warm, even though the wind gusted and blew, further cooling them.

An hour and a half later they reached a cross road. A paved road headed north. Their dirt road continued east and began a slow ascent of the hills to their east. The road roughly followed the Pierre Creek. The pair took a short break about once an hour to rest. They trudged east as the moon sank down behind the mountains to their back. The winter stars sparkled overhead after the illumination from the moon disappeared.

Josh and Molly took a half hour break around midnight near Klein Springs, the high point in their hike that night. They had climbed about 1,000 feet in the ten miles since they left camp. They snacked on parts of a couple MREs before pushing on down into the Big Sheep Valley. About an hour later they found the road winding along a steep hillside. The blackness of Elbow Lake contrasted with the surrounding snow and tree covered hills. They stopped for a minute to enjoy the view.

"How are you feeling?" Josh asked. He pointed across towards the hill on the far side of the lake. "The map shows a campsite on the far side. We could set up camp there and get some sleep. We're in the national forest out of sight again, so I wouldn't mind doing most of tomorrow's hiking in the daylight."

"I feel pretty good," Molly answered. "I could put in a couple more miles if you want, Josh."

"I figure the campsite is about a mile away," Josh replied. "That will leave us about ten miles to the bridge at Northport for tomorrow."

"Another bridge?"

"We're going to be running into rivers and bridges – the Columbia, the Pend Oreille, the Kootenai, the Yaak, the..."

"Enough," Molly insisted. "I get the picture. We're going to be fighting to get across rivers until we reach American territory, wherever that is."

"Yes, exactly," Josh replied. "I think it's best if we camp over there, get up late this morning and do the eight or nine miles to get us close to Northport and then camp and rest until darkness tomorrow. We can scout a crossing after dark."

"That's a plan," Molly agreed.

Josh and Molly needed half an hour to get around to the campsite overlooking Elbow Lake. They set their tent up on a nice level spot. A long handled, hand operated water pump was in the middle of the camping area. Water would be no problem in the morning. Molly's thermometer read "18", so the pair decided to share one sleeping bag again for warmth. It was around 1:30 AM when the two dropped off to sleep, too tired for any monkey business.

--oooOooo--

December 1, 2013 – Elbow Lake, 9.6 miles west of the bridge in Northport, WA

Josh woke up around eleven in the morning. The sun was shining brightly on their tent but it was still a little chilly inside, quite unlike the previous mid-day. Josh dressed and headed outside to take care of his morning business. He returned to their tent.

"Molly, it's eleven o'clock," Josh suggested from outside. "It's time to get up and have something to eat."

"Too nice in here," Molly answered. "Let me sleep a little longer."

"I want to get down close to Northport while it's light," Josh explained.

"Come back to bed for a while," Molly retorted. "Your lady is unsatisfied."

"Unsatisfied?"

"I need you to slip me your beef,"

"Huh?" Josh stammered. He thought he knew what Molly meant but the concept of going to bed with the same woman two days in a row was totally foreign to his experience. It had never happened in his lifetime. Usually it was weeks or even months between the times he got laid.

"I need you to boff me until my brains leak out my ears," Molly snapped. "I want you. Is that plain enough?"

"Umm ... um ... yeah."

"Get in here," Molly added as Josh unzipped the tent flap. "You don't want me in a pissy mood all day, do you?"

"No, that would be terrible," Josh agreed. "Boff you 'til your brains leak out? I'll do my best."

Molly pulled her night T-shirt off while Josh disrobed. He joined her under their sleeping bag/blanket. The two made out. Josh may not be the most experienced guy in bed but he knew about foreplay. What he didn't know, Molly happily showed him. Within a few minutes Josh was pounding away, merrily trying to force Molly's brain matter out her ears. The two collapsed into a sweaty but happy heap when they finished.

"Do I need to tie a rope to you and lead you around?" Josh teased as they recovered. "Did I succeed forcing your brains out?"

"I have a few brain cells left," Molly answered. "You won't need to lead me around. I can manage to think and see." Molly laughed. "You did a good job trying though. It was fun."

"It was," Josh agreed. "Actually it was a lot more than fun. Yesterday and just now are the only times in my life where I had sex without wearing a rubber. It feels so much better this way."

"For both of us," Molly replied. "That has been one of the benefits of having my implant. No worries about the stupid old rubbers."

"And you can't get pregnant?"

"No, not going to happen," Molly answered. "I've been taking boys to bed for three years without getting knocked up."

Josh glanced at his watch. "We really do need to get up and get hiking. I'd like to get close to Northport before dark."

"Sure ... no problem ... whatever," Molly answered agreeably. "I'm a pussy cat when I've been satisfied."

"I'll have to see to that in the future," Josh agreed.

The pair packed up, tore their tent down and had some lunch before heading down the road. The road they followed paralleled a small creek, which joined a slightly larger creek. Around an hour and a half later, the small creek intersected the Big Sheep Creek. The creek ran through a wide meadow between two mountains. Further down the road the flanks of Belshazzar and another mountain pinched together, leaving their road in a steep narrow valley. They followed it downhill a few more miles.

The hiking was easy. The snow on the road wasn't deep. The temperature hovered around freezing all afternoon. It was a nice day to hike, especially compared to the trials they went through a couple weeks earlier in the high Cascades. Josh could see they were approaching the Columbia River valley as soon as the road turned right and the creek dropped sharply downhill and went to their left. They climbed a small ridge to the top of a plateau. Josh was cautious as they crested it, lest they end up in sight of any Chinese sentries in Northport. They needn't have worried. The long flat plateau shielded them from view in Northport. They followed the road across the plateau almost two miles.

The road bent left and started downhill. Josh was in the lead as they hiked. He motioned Molly backwards as soon as they made the turn. Josh could see a large oval track in the distance with the bridge and town of Northport beyond it. They backtracked a hundred yards and slipped into the trees on the north side of the road. All they could do was hang out for a few hours until it got dark.

Josh and Molly pulled their food supplies out of their packs at dinner time to take inventory. Both knew their packs were considerably lighter than a couple weeks ago when they added MREs back at Ross Lake. The two had devoured all the food Mrs. Dahlstrom, Bob and Anna and Mike had given them.

Josh scanned the pile of MRE meals that remained. They had three beef enchiladas, a veggie burger, a sloppy joe, two spicy penne pasta and two vegetable lasagna packs left. They also had half a dozen uneaten odds and ends left over from previous meals.

"I think we need to start rationing our food," Josh suggested. "We suspect the Chinese will be here at Northport. We are going to have a hard, twenty to thirty mile hike across the wilderness from there to the next town, Metaline Falls. If the Chinese have it, we have another 50 miles plus to Bonner's Ferry, over in Idaho."

"We're doing what ... maybe twelve or fifteen miles a day?"

"We are," Josh confirmed.

"We better find some friendly people like Mrs. Dahlstrom and Bob and Anna," Molly replied. "This food isn't going to get us to Idaho."

"It will, if it has to," Josh countered. "We may be a little hungry when we get there, but it will get us there. Pick one of the MRE packs. We'll share it."

"Let's get the worst out of the way," Molly answered. "Let's do the veggie burger tonight."

The two warmed the veggie burger and split the remainder of the meal pack. Half a banana nut muffin, a handful of dried fruit, a couple sticks of gum, weak lemon tea and half a veggie burger with BBQ and hot sauce on wheat snack bread was their meal.

The pair hung out, out of sight in the trees and low brush until around 7:00 PM that evening, an hour after dusk. Josh wanted to make sure the roads were quiet. They walked forward along the road, listening for any sound of people or vehicles as they walked. Twenty minutes later the stood in front of a sign announcing "Northport International Speedway."

There was a chain across the driveway and the lights were out at the speedway. Josh decided they should see if they could get a better vantage point from the sloping hill on the far side of the track that normally provided seating for race patrons. Josh and Molly crossed the dirt race track and climbed the small hill. Josh's hopes for clear intelligence fell when he looked across to the bridge and town. The small hill was the edge of a large plateau. Josh could barely make out the east end of the bridge and Northport in the distance. He couldn't see clearly enough to know whether the Chinese were there or not.

The plateau was completely bare of cover, so Josh and Molly headed southeast from the raceway towards the river, keeping the edge of the plateau between them and danger. They needed about ten minutes to cover the brushy ground to the road. No buildings were in sight. They crossed the road and approached closer to the river. The end of the plateau gave them cover until they were right up to the river bank. It was a steep sixty foot drop down to the Columbia River. The plateau towered a hundred feet above them. Josh laid on his belly and crawled out among the fringe of brush at the top of the river bank.

From this vantage point, Josh could clearly see the entire bridge. Each end was brightly lit. He could make out people congregating on the west end, but couldn't see any details about who they were or what they were doing. He watched for a minute, trying to judge who these people were.

Josh heard the answer before he saw it. He made out the firing off of big military diesel engines. Thirty seconds later two boxy tracked vehicles with small turrets on top wheeled around the corner into view. They proceeded across the bridge. They were marked in the Chinese camouflage pattern, not the U.S. one.

"Shit!" Josh growled.

"What?" Molly asked. She was laying the grass behind Josh out of sight of the bridge.

"The Chinese definitely hold the bridge into Northport."

"What do we do now?" Molly asked.

"We go south along the river," Josh replied. "Hopefully we can find a boat of some sort so we can get across, like we did at the last river."

"Maybe we'll find some friendly people who can get us some food," Molly added.

The two backed away from the river and backtracked to the road again. They walked south along the edge of the road, ready to jump to cover the second they heard any vehicles on the road behind them. They walked a couple hundred yards south before finding the first house. It was located a couple hundred yards off the road, along the top of the bluffs above the river. No driveway was visible. Josh decided it would be safer to approach potentially friendly houses as open visitors rather than by sneaking across the field. They continued south, watching for signs of life at the house. They saw nothing.

Six hundred yards down the road they found a spot where two driveways joined the road. One angled back towards the dark, first house. The second went into a house about a hundred yards back. They could see the yellow glow from some of the windows. Josh looked at Molly questioningly. She shrugged her shoulders and nodded yes as she pointed towards the house. Josh led the way.

He walked boldly down the driveway just like he was going to see old friends. He made no attempt to hide. A second driveway peeled off to the right. Josh and Molly continued ahead to the first house they spotted. Josh walked right up to the front door and knocked.

Josh and Molly could hear scrambling inside. Josh knocked again. The door cracked open half an inch and a bearded middle-aged man peered out with one eye. "What do you want?"

"I'm an American soldier," Josh explained as he opened his coat to show his military issue shirt. "We're trying to get away from the Chi..."

"You have to leave right now!" the man responded insistently. "This isn't safe."

"Do you have a boat we could borrow?" Josh persisted. "We want to get across the river before the Chinese catch us."

"Do you know what the Chinese did to the people in Ellisforde?" the man demanded. "Some fool tried to help American soldiers cross the river below that bridge. The soldiers killed a couple chinks. The chinks executed every man and boy in the town and burned it to the ground a week ago. Did the same thing north of Orient before that. It ain't safe for you to be at my door. Get along!"

"If you have a boat, we'll be gone in seconds," Josh began.

"I'll sic my dogs on you!" the man growled. "Buster! Billy! Come!" They heard the claws of two dogs scratching the wooden floor as they responded to their master's command.

"We're leaving, sir," Josh apologized. "Sorry to have troubled you."

Josh and Molly retreated down the driveway to the spot where another driveway went south to the next house. Josh shrugged his shoulders and marched towards that house. They walked up to the front door and knocked. An older man peeked at them from the window beside the door before opening it for them.

"What can I do for you two young ones?" he asked pleasantly. He gave Josh and Molly a slight smile.

"I'm an American soldier trying to get across the river and escape back to American territory, ' Josh explained as he exposed a bit of his fatigues.

"Get inside quick," the man said. Molly and Josh hurried inside the house. The old man slammed the door shut. "You stopped at my son-in-laws a minute ago, didn't you?" Josh and Molly acknowledged that they had.

"We don't have much time. I'm sure my son-in-law is on the phone right now with the sheriff's department. The Chinese will be here in about ten minutes. We're going to have to hurry to get you two across the river before they catch you. I assume that is where you're trying to go."

"Yes ... umm ... how did you..." Josh stuttered, momentarily flustered at the man's correct guess. The man pulled Josh towards the window and pointed outside.

"There's a path back of the garage that will lead you down the bank to my dock and fishing boat. Take the boat and get you and this pretty young lady over to safety. Work your way downstream about a mile south of town. After the far shore bends away, make for the small island. When you reach the island, head for the east shore of the river and beach my boat in the little inlet by the railroad. Pull it up beside the little creek near the railroad. Got the directions?"

"Um ... mile downstream on this side, make for the island and put your boat in the inlet beyond it near the railroad?" Josh stammered.

"Exactly," the old man answered. "Now, you need to step outside young man, and bust down my front door while I go find some rope."

"Uh ... what?" Josh stuttered.

"Bust down my door," the old man said. "Young lady, lock the door when your friend is outside. I have to get some rope so you can tie me up. It wouldn't do for me to claim I know nothing about you two when the Chinese come. I can convince them that a strong, young soldier overpowered an old man and stole his boat. They'll believe that."

"Ohh ... Kay," Josh agreed. He was astonished at the quickness of the old man's mind. He was right. He would be much safer from the Chinese if it looked like he'd been overpowered. Josh stepped outside and waited for the click when Molly locked the door. He waited a couple seconds and then kicked the door in. He'd practiced this in basic training. Real life was actually easier than the simulation back in Georgia. The frame splintered at the lock and the door flew open.

The old man was seated on a kitchen chair. Molly was starting to tie his legs down. "Don't make it too loose," the man instructed. "This has to be convincing." Josh helped Molly tie up the old man.

"Is this OK?" Josh asked. "I don't want to hurt you."

"Don't fret, I'm a tough old bird," the man answered. "Duct tape my mouth shut now."

"Why are you doing all this?" Josh asked as he tore a piece of tape off the roll.

"You're that hero they're going on about on the radio," the man answered. "You get this pretty young lady and yourself to safety then come back and kick these Chinese out of here again. I'm counting on you."

"We're just trying to survive this war," Josh answered. "I'm not a hero."

"You'll do for now," the man replied. "Now, get this finished before the Chinese show up and catch you."

"What about your boat?"

"You put it where I told you and I'll be able to go fetch it," the man answered. "If not, no big deal. It's an old boat and I don't mind losing it for the greater good."

"Thank you for everything," Josh said. Molly echoed Josh's thanks. He put the duct tape over the old man's mouth, careful to make sure he didn't cover his nostrils too. The man nodded his approval as Josh and Molly left. They ran across the yard, past the garage and down the steep trail that led to the river. The old row boat had a small outboard motor. Josh decided it would be better to row down river.

Molly and the packs went up front. Josh took a seat in back and pushed off the makeshift dock. The river was still. Josh decided they were in backwater as he rowed a half dozen yards off shore. He paralleled the west shore, trying to keep their boat in the shadows of the tall bank.

Josh rowed downstream for a couple minutes. "You've done this before, haven't you?" Molly asked.

"Rowing Merit Badge my third summer at Boy Scout camp," Josh answered. "Anyway, I grew up on the water. I live about four blocks from the sound back home."

"Is there any outdoor skill you don't know?" Molly teased.

"I'm sure there are plenty of them," Josh huffed as he pulled on the oars. "Keep a lookout ahead. I don't want to run into any rocks or downed trees along the shore." The wind was blowing from the south, making Josh work harder to row downstream in the nearly calm river.

It was a long pull into the wind, but eventually Molly and Josh saw the far shore pull away from them. Josh had to row part way across the channel but eventually they spotted the small island the old man told them about. Josh rowed past it and followed the eastern bank until he found the inlet. Josh rowed up the inlet right to the creek. Josh beached the boat on a sandy patch beside the creek. A tall stone retaining wall apparently held the railroad up above the river. A small culvert allowed the stream to run under the tracks.

Josh and Molly hoisted their packs on their backs before scrambling up the steep, brushy bank to the railroad. They searched both ways before crossing. Northport was well north of them. This area was dark. They hurried across the tracks and scrambled up another steep bank to Route 25.

Josh's map showed a lane leading to a quarry was a couple hundred yards north of their location. The two jogged up the highway, then jogged up the dirt lane until they were out of sight of the road. They continued ahead to the old quarry. The pair needed twenty minutes to reach the old quarry. They passed a couple sheds, but they decided they needed more distance between them and Northport before they could rest that night.

They followed a little used dirt road around the west and northern edge of the quarry. They followed a small, indistinct trail north between two hills. The trail petered out after a quarter mile. Josh and Molly bushwhacked ahead. Josh's map showed a small lake ahead. They spotted the blackness of the water ten minutes later. A house overlooked the lake from a small hill to the north. Thankfully, the house was dark. Molly climbed the hill, staying clear of the house. They continued north on the house's driveway. The driveway followed the base of the mountain between them and Northport. They passed a couple more driveways leading to other houses. No one disturbed them as they hiked by.

The walking was easy. The homeowners had cleaned the snow off the long shared driveway. Half an hour later Josh and Molly reached a county road. The county had cleared the road down to pavement. The pair headed east on the road. They passed half a dozen houses as they hiked towards the mountains and safety.

They found a cluster of houses at a crossroads close to midnight. They took a dirt road marked, "Black Creek Canyon Road" as they headed up into the mountains. The past couple miles had been flat. This road wasn't. Josh and Molly slowed down as they steadily climbed towards the pass above them. Clouds and a chill wind blew through them as they climbed. They passed a couple homes as they climbed. Josh and Molly didn't want anyone knowing where they were going, so they quietly passed each house.

The road ended at the last cluster of houses. They followed what appeared to be traces of an old logging road up further towards the pass. Forty-five minutes later the logging road started switchbacks up a mountain spur.

"Bed time?" Josh asked. He knew Molly was slowing and she wouldn't mind. It was past 2:00 AM.

"Bed time," Molly agreed quickly. The two found a level area for their tent, set up and stowed their packs in trees for the evening. They shared a sleeping bag but neither had any interest in hanky-panky. They fell asleep cuddled together within minutes of lying down.

--oooOooo--

December 2nd, 5 miles east of the Columbia River bridge at Northport, WA

Molly and Josh slept through the morning. They deserved it. The pair had hiked 45 miles in the past four days, including close to twenty in the past 24 hours. Their hike had been physically draining. Emotionally, it was even tougher. They had faced possible capture by the Chinese at two river crossings, witnessed firsthand evidence of Chinese atrocities, faced off with a shotgun wielding homeowner, escaped minutes ahead of capture by the local sheriff aided by the Chinese troops and still crossed the mighty Columbia River and hiked safely into the mountains again without being detected.

The sun had passed midday when Molly finally awoke. Molly noticed some time in the night that one of them had knocked off the second sleeping bag they used as a blanket on cold nights. The inside of their sleeping bag was toasty and warm. Molly snuggled up against Josh, enjoying the luxury of sleeping in.

Josh may have been asleep but his male physiology reacted per instinct to the soft, warm female cuddling with him. Molly soon was rubbing against his hardness. Josh awoke with a start after a brief, but very intense erotic dream.

"Ohhh ... umm..." Josh stuttered.

"I need you inside me," Molly replied. She pulled his hand across her body and placed it on her breast.

"I don't want to ... uh ... take advantage..."

"Nonsense! You protect me," Molly declared. "You give me comfort. I need your comfort." She wiggled her backside against Josh's erection. "Please???"

Josh provided the comfort she requested. The coupling was reassuring. The two were learning each other's rhythms. A few minutes later Josh rolled on his back after he climaxed. Molly laid on his chest and gave her protector kisses.

"That was wonderful, lover," Molly said between kisses.

"Is that what we are?" Josh asked.

"Maybe? I think we're heading that direction."

"I don't know," Josh replied. "Would any of this be happening if we weren't caught up by the war?"

"Probably not," Molly conceded. "So what? I wouldn't have considered dating or anything more with a soldier or a high school computer nerd. We both know what you thought about cheerleaders. That would have been our loss."

"I feel I'm taking advantage of you," Josh retorted. "I'm in my twenties. You're a kid who hasn't finished high school. I don't know if there will be any kind of future for us together."

"I may not have finished high school yet, but I certainly am not a kid today," Molly answered. She snorted. "The last month made damn sure I wasn't a kid anymore. What we just did is good for both of us. It gives us hope and a reason to live. I don't know if we have a future. Do any of us in this war?"

"Fair point," Josh agreed.

"Let's enjoy what we can do for each other while we get ourselves out of here and get to safety," Molly said. "The future will have to take care of itself when ... and if it gets here."

"When did you get so smart?" Josh asked before returning Molly's kisses. They exchanged kisses for a couple minutes before getting dressed and packing their things. Josh and Molly shared a single MRE for their meal. Josh studied the map while they ate under low, gray clouds.

The whoop-whoop-whoop of multiple helicopters interrupted their meal. Josh and Molly flew into action. Molly had their compass out before the helicopters appeared over their camp. Josh was dialing the number to Air Force Search and Rescue Center.

"Course 70 degrees," Molly reported coolly.

Josh counted eight Zhi-8 transports and four Zhi-10 attack copters as he waited for the rescue center to answer. Josh quickly IDed himself and reported the Chinese choppers. Sgt. Rivera, the duty clerk thanked Josh when he finished the report.

"Sergeant, do you have a second for helping with some intel for us?" Josh asked after the sergeant passed the report up the chain of command. "We're not certain where to cross the Pend Oreille River. Could we get information about whether the following places are American or Chinese held?" Josh read off the latitude and longitude for Metaline Falls and the Boundary Dam, 9 miles downstream and a mile above the border with Canada.

Josh waited a minute while the sergeant in Colorado's Search and Rescue Center checked. He came back and reported the Chinese took the town, Metaline Falls, two days ago.

"Item at 54-26, 4-74.5 is held by friendly forces," Sgt. Rivera added. He was referring to the dam on the river.

"Confirm ... friendly?" Josh asked.

"Affirmative. It is friendly," Sgt. Rivera answered. "I suggest you and your companion head that direction, Frosty Boot."

"Thank you, sergeant," Josh said.

"Keep up the great work, Frosty Boot," Sgt. Rivera replied.

"What's friendly?" Molly asked expectantly.

Josh laid the map down on the ground where Molly could see it. "The Search and Rescue Center reports that the Boundary Dam is still held by our forces."

"Thank God!" Molly gasped. "That's not that far. We can be there in two or three days. Get another MRE. I'm still hungry."

"Bad idea," Josh replied. He placed the compass down on the map, traced a line from their position on the map along a 70 degree line. It headed straight for the Boundary Dam. "Where do you think those Chinese helicopters are going?"

"The dam," Molly answered quietly. Josh could see the elation deflate from her as she said it. "Where do we go now?"

"We head for the dam," Josh answered. "They said the dam was held by friendly forces. That means the army is holding the dam. We don't know that the Chinese will be able to capture it today. We hike for the dam, approach it cautiously just like every other river crossing and see what we find when we get there."

"So we stay on half rations?" Molly asked. Josh nodded his agreement.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.