There and Back - Cover

There and Back

Copyright© 2013 by Aquea

Chapter 141: InJustice

Vander’s story turned out to be far more involved – and yet, not at all more surprising – than I expected.

“What would you like to know?” Justice asked, unearthly voice booming.

Aedan looked to me and Alistair, clearly hoping someone else would take over the line of questioning.

I sighed. “Let’s start at the beginning. Where did he live? Does he have any family?”

“Until he became a Warden, he was living in the ... what exactly is an Alienage?” His expression, still queerly blank, looked like what I’d seen on earth when people were put on hold – accessing Vander’s memories? After a moment, while I debated how to answer, he scowled and his voice got even louder. “They trap all elves behind walls like caged animals? There is no justice in that!”

All four of us responded as one, holding hands out in a placating fashion, voices soft and soothing, hoping to avoid a repeat of the episode where he got all blue and glowy. Which is WAY scarier in person than in a video game! Only I knew the magical abilities he could potentially manifest when he was like that, assuming it was anything like when he’d been merged with Anders.

“No, no, Justice, we know. It’s not fair. Let us explain. Please, calm down.”

“The Alienages are as much for the elves’ sakes as for anything else. Even in Highever, where they are treated much better, they prefer to live apart from the humans. When we’ve offered to fully integrate elves into the city, they decline, preferring to stay together,” Aedan explained.

“And they are not all alike,” Alistair assured him. “Some are terrible places, but we’re trying to fix that. The Alienage in Denerim was just completely rebuilt to improve the lives of everyone living there. But in Amaranthine...” he trailed off.

“Racial discrimination was common, even encouraged by the former Arl, from what we gather,” Zevran cut in. “The walls probably protected as much as they also imprisoned, yes?”

“It’s one of the things Arl Nathaniel is trying to fix,” Aedan continued. “He and his sister, Bann Delilah. They’re improving the Alienage, trying to guarantee safety for the elves living there.”

Slightly mollified, the spirit relaxed fractionally and continued. “He was working at a farm near Amaranthine to earn enough to support his sister and her son.”

We’d known about the farm, of course – he’d been fleeing from there when he’d become tainted by the darkspawn. “So he has a sister, and a nephew. Any other family? Parents?” He was barely twenty, if that – his parents wouldn’t be that old, likely.

Justice shook his head. “His father died when he was young. His mother ... disappeared from the Alienage last year, at a time when many elves went missing in Amaranthine.”

The four of us exchanged saddened looks, knowing what that most likely meant; Rendon Howe hadn’t been successful at selling elves from Denerim to Tevinter, but the Amaranthine Alienage hadn’t been so lucky. She’s probably a slave to some magister as we speak. Perhaps Vander’s hatred of humans is even more justified than we knew. No one explained it to Justice, nervous about his potential reaction to such a horrible fate.

He went on to explain that Vander, younger even than we’d thought at only eighteen, and his older sister Kahril, a beautiful blonde, couldn’t find enough work to feed themselves (and, I guessed, were terrified of being kidnapped by Tevinters as well) and so Kahril became ‘involved’ with one of the city guardsmen, Brandin. Justice didn’t seem to fully understand the implication, thankfully, but it was clear to me she’d prostituted herself to the man in return for coin, protection from slavers – and sword training for Vander. Which explains how an elf from the Alienage would have enough skill to defend a group of civilians from darkspawn.

“After several months, almost all of the guards including Brandin left, and they heard that he was killed in some sort of battle.”

“When was this, Justice? Was it the battle against the Archdemon?” Aedan interrupted.

Justice paused for a moment, then replied, “No, before that. He believed they were fighting other humans, in some sort of civil war.”

I scowled. So Rendon Howe pulled all the guards from the city during the civil war to fight other nobles in the bannorn, and left Amaranthine unguarded? Jerk. Bet Esmerelle and her smuggling, slaving friends loved that!

“Sorry, continue,” Aedan sat back, expression grim, and I knew he’d come to the same conclusion I had.

“When Kahril became outcast from the Alienage-”

“Wait, wait. Why was she cast out?” I hoped Justice wouldn’t get irritated at the frequent interruptions, but he mostly seemed just puzzled. Turns out spirits have no idea how to narrate stories. Varric would do a much better job of spinning this tale!

“She had a child.” His forehead wrinkled in confusion. “The elves treat them poorly because he is human.”

I face-palmed dramatically. “Because Maker-forbid that stupid racial discrimination should be limited to humans.”

Zevran chuckled wryly and Alistair squeezed me briefly.

Justice nodded uncertainly in my direction. “Yes, racial discrimination seems particularly unjust. So to support his sister and nephew, Vander started working at the farms outside the city – after the Blight, there was a great need for farm workers and the pay was better.”

“Until he became tainted.” I sighed. “Wait, did he go see his sister while you were in Amaranthine?” I asked Aedan.

He shook his head. “We didn’t have a lot of time to spend in the city, once we’d heard rumours of talking darkspawn in Blackmarsh.”

“So how is Kahril being supported now?”

Justice nodded at me. “Vander had been worrying about that as well.”

Aedan rubbed his face irritably. “I’m not convinced letting her see you like ... this,” he gestured at Justice, “is a good idea. I doubt very much she’ll take kindly to her brother being possessed.”

“We will find some way to support her,” Alistair assured me. “We can talk about that later.”

“So, Justice? What are your plans now?” I decided to change the subject, uncomfortable with dwelling on the effect Justice was having on Vander’s life.

“Well, your Commander has explained the problem with the darkspawn to me. It was a darkspawn who injured Vander in the first place, and they do much harm in this world. The Grey Wardens serve a just cause, and I would stay here, if you would allow it, and fight the darkspawn.”

“Do you ... wish to ... remain, inside Vander?” I was afraid to ask the question, but we needed to know. If we were to find a way to free the poor elf from possession, having Justice’s cooperation seemed necessary.

“Knowing that he would not be happy with my presence, I wish there was another way. However, I am not aware of a way to return to the Fade, and if I separate from this body, I do not know what will happen. Vander may not survive, nor would I. I do not wish to die.”

Aedan cleared his throat. “There is a mage – ancient, and very knowledgeable, at our Keep nearby. It is possible he may know more about this than any of us. Would you permit me to write to him, and to the Circle of Magi, to see if anyone knows of a way to return you to the Fade?”

The spirit stilled, apparently thinking, then finally nodded. “If there were a way to give Vander back his life, without killing me in the process, I would be willing to try. Being in the mortal realm was not by choice, and taking Vander’s life does not serve justice, but I saw no other way for either of us to survive. I would gladly find another way, if it was safe.”

“I am certain that, willing or not, Vander would appreciate being alive. I’m sure we can ... figure something out.” Alistair looked positively leader-ish in that moment, and I grinned to myself. “For now, if you could provide as much information about Vander’s sister as you are able – where she lives, her last name, whatever you think will help us find her, we will make arrangements to help provide for her.”

“Varel will have what you need – wait, do you know how to read and write?” Aedan asked; Justice shook his head. “Just ask Seneschal Varel to write down what you say. We will meet you in the dining room for supper.”

Dismissed, Justice went in search of Varel, leaving me alone with my boys.

“Well, that could have gone worse, yes?” Zevran drawled wryly. “How do you say it, cara mia? He gives me the creeps.”

I snickered. “Do you think we should tell him about me? About what I know?” I had decided I clearly wasn’t the best person to decide what secrets should be kept. I still wasn’t even sure if Loghain knew about me – one more thing to add to the list for discussion with Aedan and Alistair.

No one answered, the three men sharing similar pensive looks.

“I just thought, maybe if he knew about Vengeance ... maybe we could prevent it just by him knowing? I mean, we can keep Anders away, but I’m worried Vander’s anger could corrupt him just as easily.”

“He didn’t react well to the idea of an Alienage, that’s for sure. What happens when he realises the missing elves are actually probably slaves in Tevinter? Maker.” Alistair ran a hand through his hair, leaving it spiking up irregularly, and I smoothed it back down with a smile.

“I’m not certain how he will respond.” Aedan slumped. “You saw how he got when you compared him to a demon. What if he doesn’t believe us?”

“Maybe wait until Avernus has a chance to look at him, no? One would think a blood mage would know more about spirits and demons than any of us.” Zevran patted Aedan’s shoulder reassuringly.

“For now, anyway, we can support Vander’s sister. She can have his wages as long as Justice is with us, and after...” Alistair trailed off looking uncomfortable. “Well, we will deal with that when the time comes.”

“When we send Justice to Soldier’s Keep, maybe I’ll see if Nate would hire her at the Vigil. I think she’d have a lot less trouble with an elf-blooded child here.” Aedan sighed. “Stupid racial politics...”

I sighed too. “As compelling as this topic is, there’s some other things we need to discuss. We never got the chance, after you rescued me...”

Neither Zevran nor Aedan had any more insight into just what research the Wardens might have been doing in the Deep Roads under Soldier’s Peak, though Aedan was less displeased than the rest of us to have a Deep Roads entrance in the basement. “We’re going to have to find some maps, see where they lead,” he enthused. “Maybe we’ve got a shortcut to Orzammar! I wonder if Shale and Caridin would like to help us explore. They’ve mapped hundreds of tunnels under the Wilds and near Orzammar...”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.