There and Back
Chapter 95: Royal Bastard

Copyright© 2013 by Aquea

It was a night to remember; we made love and slept, snuggled and laughed – and made love some more. We fed each other breakfast in bed, thoughtfully ordered by Leliana, and then slept again, waking well into the afternoon.

Alistair gave me a wedding gift in bed; it was a small leather tube like the one he carried his drawings in. Excited, like a kid on Christmas, I opened it at Alistair's nod. Two pieces of vellum – high quality parchment – slid out when I upended the tube.

The first was a picture of me and Alistair. The details of our clothes were hazy, but it was clearly meant to be our wedding. Our hands were clasped, our rings visible; our faces were close together, foreheads almost touching. Alistair's expression was heartrendingly tender, his lips pulled back in a beatific smile. My answering smile was impish but sweet, and my eyes practically sparkled.

"Now I can draw your dress," he explained. "I know on Earth you'd have taken pictures to remember; this is the closest I could get."

I leaned in and kissed him, sweetly and softly, relishing the warmth in my belly from the thoughtful gesture.

The second piece of vellum took my breath away. There were seven, exquisitely detailed figures on the small piece of parchment: myself, Aedan, and what must have been our parents, as well as Fergus, Oriana, and Oren. Our parents were in the back, arms around those of us in front. I sat in the middle, with Aedan on one side and Fergus and Oriana on the other; Oren sat in front of us, leaning against my knees. Both of my brothers, as well as my parents, had either a hand on my shoulder or an arm around me, and we all looked content and happy.

Tears slipped down my face, unbidden, and I pushed the vellum away so as not to get it wet. I pressed my face into Alistair's shoulder and bawled as he carefully put the two pictures back into their tube.

"You drew me a family." I sobbed and clung to him, and he wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"Aedan helped. Described what they looked like. He said it was pretty close. I thought we could have frames made and you could hang them wherever we end up."

"Thank you." I pulled him down and pressed my lips against his hard, urgency outweighing subtlety. "Thank you."

I kissed him again, leaning against him until he got the picture and flopped back onto the mattress; I fell with him, then climbed to my knees between his legs and proceeded to show him, in detail, with my fingers and lips and tongue how much I loved my wedding present.

Finally picking ourselves up, after a playful bath, we changed, gathered our wedding attire, and reluctantly left our little sanctuary to face the outside world.

Married now, we decided we no longer needed the fiction of separate rooms, and Alistair asked a servant to help move his things into my slightly larger guest room. Then, on mutual unspoken consent, we went looking for Theron and Aedan. We found both men in a discussion with Eamon in the library; Eamon huffed when we entered, and excused himself, leaving us alone.

I sighed. "He's never getting over this, is he?"

Alistair wrapped his arm around my shoulders. "I don't care. He can go to the Void, for all his opinion matters to me."

I looked up at him in surprise, and he smiled ruefully at me. "I've been thinking about what you – what everyone – has been saying. About how he treated me, growing up, and about how he's acted since this all started. He's important to our cause, so I can be polite, but I'm not going to allow him to treat me like the unwanted bastard anymore, never mind letting him treat you poorly."

He kissed my forehead, and I turned into his embrace, squeezing him close. "I'm sorry."

"I'm not. It's his loss. I have a family, now, and he can't hurt me anymore."

Theron stood and clapped his hand on Alistair's shoulder. "Not that you need it, but I will help in any way I can. And I truly think Eamon will get over it, out of pragmatism if nothing else – he needs me, and knows you have my protection if necessary."

"Speaking of which," Alistair said with a weird almost-smile, "mind telling me what that's all about, brother?"

Theron flushed, and gestured to the chairs, seating himself in a comfortable armchair. I snuggled up with Alistair on a small couch, Aedan sitting in a chair to my left.

"I suppose that wasn't the best way to inform you-"

"How about you start at the beginning?" I offered.

Theron nodded. "My reign has been at risk since my coronation because of the lack of an heir. I refused to admit it was a problem for a long time – denial, I suppose, of what I didn't want to hear – and some of those who are less happy with how much influence the MacTir's have at court have used that as an excuse to plot against me. Loghain was good at rooting out those problems, but it didn't change everyone's opinions.

"I don't know what I'm going to do about the situation. Anora ... well, it's complicated. But while I figure it out, having an heir will stabilise the succession, appease the bannorn to some extent. You're a Theirin, Alistair, as much as it may pain you. Had I died at Ostagar, it would have been your duty to assume the throne. That won't be the case now, Maker willing, but I still have no heir. So my first act, when I take my throne back, will be to formally recognise you as a Theirin and my heir, until such a time as I have children of my own."

He looked nervous; Alistair looked ... shell-shocked. Wait, is that a thing, in Thedas? After what had been said the night before, I assumed this would be the case; clearly Alistair had been better at blocking it out.

"I have a question, if I may." Theron nodded, but I turned to Aedan instead. "Why aren't you surprised, dear brother?"

He looked briefly startled, before smiling at me. "I didn't know anything, Sierra, I assure you. I merely assumed that if Theron here was smart, he would do exactly this. Call it political savvy, I suppose."

I narrowed my eyes at him, but reluctantly had to believe him. It really isn't so surprising, I suppose... I just hadn't considered it.

Alistair finally stirred. "But, but ... I don't want to be King!"

Theron laughed, and Aedan and I grinned. "I suppose we had better make sure I stay alive, then, right, brother?"

"But I'm a Grey Warden. I can't even hold a title."

"As we've heard, it seems Weisshaupt is ready to ignore that rule when required. Having a Grey Warden as a member of the royal family can only benefit them; I'm sure they can be convinced of that. And it isn't like you'd have land titles or an Arling to run."

Alistair didn't look all that reassured, and I giggled. He squeezed me against his side, fingers digging into my ribs, tickling me. "You laugh, Sierra, but just wait until everyone starts calling you Princess."

The appalled look on my face made all three men crack up in hysterical laughter.

I stuck my tongue out at Alistair, then turned to Aedan. "What, exactly, does it take to have a marriage annulled in Ferelden?"

Aedan just laughed harder, and Alistair pulled me into his lap for a sweet kiss.

"Considering half the village of Redcliffe must be aware that the marriage was consummated last night, good luck with that, your Highness!" Theron wore a smug grin; Alistair and I both blushed crimson, and I hid my face in his shoulder while he groaned.

"I hate you," I pouted at Theron.

He chuckled. "You have to love me. I'm family!"

We laughed and chatted a while longer; at some point Zev joined us and nonchalantly stole my spot on the couch, as I was still in Alistair's lap. The rest of our companions trickled in slowly; I could feel the taint of the various Grey Wardens as they approached, and noticed something odd as I did.

There were extras, taint signatures I didn't recognise. One was rapidly approaching with Duncan.

"Riordan!" I jumped up off Alistair's lap, going over to peer out into the hallway. Sure enough, there he was in the flesh.

He wore some armour that was all black, sleek and deadly, sort of like the rest of him, really. He was of an age with Duncan, but looked a lot less haggard than he had in game. He was a little bulkier, and a lot cleaner. His hair was long and silky, tied out of his face; his facial hair was more Aragorn than the rather bushy mess I recalled from the game.

Belatedly, it occurred to me that the others were going to wonder how I'd known Riordan was coming. With no one being able to sense my taint, we had kept my Warden-ish status a secret, and while there'd been plenty of clues along the way, I'd just totally blown it.

I ducked back into the library, hoping no one noticed; I moved to stand beside Alistair and waited to be introduced. The two senior Grey Wardens came into the room one after the other. Duncan was smiling, while Riordan looked very serious. The lines on his face indicated he was always that serious, which jived with what I remembered from the game.

"This is Warden Riordan. Please introduce yourselves."

"Aedan Cousland." Riordan and Aedan nodded at each other.

Zevran, Sten, Oghren, Bel, Faren, Solona, Jowan, Anders, Leliana, Wynne, and Gorim all said their names. Then he turned to Alistair. "I remember you, Alistair. It is good to see you again."

Alistair nodded, then turned slightly towards me. "And this is Sierra Theirin. My wife."

I thought he puffed his chest out just a little when he said the word 'wife'; it was ridiculously cute and I stifled a giggle.

Riordan raised one eyebrow and then eyed me critically. "Wife?" He glanced at Duncan, who seemed unconcerned, and changed the subject. "I've heard much about you, Sierra. I would like the chance to talk with you more at a later time."

Aedan and Alistair both stiffened slightly, and I squeezed Alistair's hand and put my other hand on Aedan's shoulder. "Sounds good." I trusted Riordan, though I'd be taking at least Duncan, if not Aedan and Alistair with me when we spoke.

Duncan cleared his throat. "Riordan has brought us two other Wardens as well; we will meet them later. Tomorrow the Dalish scouts, the former werewolves, and some of Redcliffe's soldiers will be dispatched on patrol to keep an eye on the movement of the horde; Riordan and the other two will accompany them."

"Only two?" Aedan asked, clearly sounding aggravated. His expression was a combination of angry and depressed; Zevran put his hand on Aedan's other shoulder and squeezed.

I wasn't surprised, unfortunately.

Duncan shot Aedan a look, and he subsided, still a bit petulant. Duncan continued. "Arl Eamon tells me we will depart for Denerim two days from now. You all have some time to rest; I suggest you make use of it." He turned to Aedan, Alistair, and me. "You three, with us please?"

I sighed and followed Duncan; he led us out of the Castle and a ways down the road, out of sight of anyone watching. He picked a large tree and leaned against it casually. "I thought we could talk out here, where we won't be overheard." He gave Aedan a look; Aedan flushed slightly.

Sighing, I went to lean against a tree of my own, but Alistair stood behind me so I could lean back against him instead, his body heat keeping me from shivering. It was sort of weird being outside without armour on, but nice too. Aedan stood beside me, and Riordan watched attentively.

"Sierra?" Duncan nodded to me, bobbing his head at Riordan, and I sighed again.

"I don't know much about Riordan, Duncan. Um..." I turned to the Warden in question. "You are from Highever, or thereabouts. Your Joining was at the same time as Duncan's, but you've served in Orlais since. When Loghain closed the borders to the Orlesian forces, you were chosen to sneak across the border and see what you could find out. You went to Ostagar, or at least you were planning to – I don't know if Duncan interrupted you before you got there. And then you were going to go to Denerim and see what was happening there. In the game, you were tricked by Howe, imprisoned, and tortured, but obviously that hasn't happened. I truly know nothing else about you." I looked back at Duncan. "Sorry. The game didn't go into details."

Aedan interrupted, "Look, we can convince you about Sierra later. Why did you bring only two Wardens?"

I scowled; I knew exactly why. Riordan gestured at me, indicating he wanted to hear what I was thinking.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.