There and Back - Cover

There and Back

Copyright© 2013 by Aquea

Chapter 94: Marriage Interruptus

Alistair and I were just about to exchange rings, beautiful golden bands bought in Redcliffe village, of all places, when the main door to the Chantry slammed open with a bang. Startled, I looked over my shoulder to see a very red-faced, angry Arl Eamon storming down the aisle towards us.

In the moment of shock, Alistair took action, using my hand to pull me behind him and straightening up, drawing up his full height. His expression remained neutral, calm, but I could feel the tension rolling off him in waves. I looked to Aedan, who stepped up to stand shoulder to shoulder with Alistair. In the pews, the guests had all risen from their seats, faces turned to the furious noble.

"That is enough!" Eamon shouted, pointing at Mother Hannah. "Stop this farce at once."

"Your Grace, this is most irregular-" Mother Hannah began, looking baffled.

Eamon cut her off, pointing at me instead. "You!" He turned to Alistair. "I might have expected something like this from her, but I thought better of you. How dare you be so selfish? I have told you that Ferelden requires-"

"Actually, Uncle, Ferelden will be just fine, thank you. This wedding was my idea. And it's probably the only un-selfless thing Alistair has ever done. I think we can forgive him one thing." Theron walked forward from the crowd, chiselled features pulled down into a wide frown.

"Cai-Theron, my boy, you don't seem to understand ... the insult! Allowing the only daughter of Highever to wed a bastard ... foregoing an alliance that could ensure the safety of your crown-"

"And that's up to her and her family to decide, now isn't it? As her brother is standing beside her betrothed, I'm not seeing how the family can feel insulted. As for Alistair, he is my brother and I expect you to treat him as such. He is a Prince of Ferelden and my heir, and I will not hear that word applied to him from your lips again, am I clear?"

My eyes went wide, and I looked between Alistair and Aedan; Aedan shrugged noncommittally, but from his profile, Alistair's expression was as dumbfounded as mine must have been. Since when is Alistair Cailan's heir? And why isn't Aedan surprised? Eamon looked, if anything, even more freaked out than Alistair and I. Which seemed ridiculous, given that I knew he'd forget Cailan in a heartbeat if he died, and put Alistair on the throne without a second's pause. Grasping bastard...

Eamon opened his mouth and stepped in it even worse. "You would come into my home, and abuse my trust, my hospitality like this-"

"Careful, Uncle. Think hard before you continue that sentence, and perhaps remember who it is that saved your life, as well as who has the ability to take this home away from you. You may be Arl, for now, but you will remember who is King."

Somehow, impossibly, Eamon's face became even more crimson, and he started looking distinctly unwell. He was sweating and breathing shallowly, his hands curled into fists and his mouth opening and closing like a fish as he considered what to say next. I worried briefly that he could be having a heart attack, but saw Wynne and Anders nearby looking unconcerned, so I relaxed.

"Your Majesty," he finally replied, tone cold. "I apologise for overreaching. I shall leave you to your..." he glanced dismissively at Alistair and me, "entertainment." His response was formal enough to pass as polite, though the words were clearly meant derisively. He frowned at Theron and Aedan, shot Alistair and me one more dirty look, and then spun on his heel and marched out of the Chantry, letting the doors slam behind him.

In his wake, everyone looked at each other uncertainly, soft whispers barely heard from the front where I was standing. Alistair reached his hand back towards me, and I grabbed it and clung for dear life. I was so angry at Eamon. How dare he interrupt my wedding to call my husband a bastard? I struggled to contain my anger, to hold back a scream of rage. I swore to myself that if he ever did something to hurt Alistair like that again, I'd kill him myself. Theron appeared to be having similar thoughts.

"You okay?" I asked Alistair, worried he'd be devastated by the vocal disapproval from his first father figure.

"You know what?" He smiled at me and squeezed my hand. "I really am. I'm fine."

His expression matched his words, though how it could be true was beyond me. Not knowing what to say, I just held onto his hand, a couple of tears of total aggravation gliding down my cheek. Alistair wiped them with the thumb of his free hand, smiling encouragement at me. "It's going to be fine. I swear it."

Finally Mother Hannah cleared her throat and clapped her hands, motioning for everyone to have a seat.

"Do you still wish to proceed?" she asked Alistair and me, voice pitched low so as not to carry through the Chantry. Only Leli and Aedan would have been close enough to hear.

We both nodded without hesitation, and so she picked up as well as she could from where we left off. We finished exchanging rings, and I stared down at my hand in awe. I'd never thought I'd see that finger with a gold ring on it. A couple of tears escaped, and Alistair smiled in understanding.

Mother Hannah was talking again, and I struggled to keep up with her, but when she asked me a question, the answer came easily.

"I do." To my surprise, my voice was strong and carried throughout the small Chantry.

When it was his turn, he winked at me, forever cheeky, and replied, "Oh, I definitely do."

A snicker passed through the guests, and then it was done. I heard the Revered Mother mutter something about kissing, and then his lips were finally on mine, his hands cupping my face as I just pressed my palms against the solid bulk of him. The kiss was neither short nor chaste, and my cheeks flushed as a cheerful roar went up among the witnesses when we finally, reluctantly pulled apart. Alistair wasn't even blushing, for once, and I smiled at his unexpected confidence.

He took my hand and we walked out of the Chantry together, me smiling like I'd never stop. Eamon was forgotten, a problem for another day; for today, I had Alistair at my side and a ring on my finger, and nothing else mattered.

That evening we had a small feast for our friends, and there was dancing. Leliana pinned my train up for me, and I took off the veil so I could dance. Leliana sang "A Thousand Years" again for me and Alistair to slow dance to together, and then some musicians she'd recruited from the village launched into more traditional Fereldan songs. I danced with Teagan, Tomas, Theron, Jowan, Aedan, and Zevran, and once each even with Sten, Anders, Faren, Bel, and Oghren – dancing with the dwarves was rather comical, especially when Oghren started making salacious comments about how their height put their heads right at my bosom – but mostly I clung to Alistair. Despite both being terrible dancers, we fit so well together that we didn't step on each other's toes and it felt perfect to be in his arms like that.

Leliana and Solona danced with anyone who asked, including a couple of local men who were having a drink at the tavern when we arrived; Solona even danced once with Anders, which was sweet and sort of painful all at the same time. Morrigan refused to dance, and Wynne begged off as being too tired after one dance with Alistair. Secretly I wondered if he'd stepped on her foot.

Kaitlyn was there, in a pretty silk dress, which was not lost on Teagan, and the two of them spent almost as many dances as Alistair and I clinging together. I winked at both of them individually when I caught their eyes, and they both blushed, but kept on dancing.

At one point, when I was resting, slumped on a bench beside an equally exhausted Alistair, Leliana stopped the music and got everyone's attention.

"I thought this would be a good time for Sierra to showcase a talent that I don't think anyone here knows about, other than me, and I think I know the perfect way to do that."

I raised my eyebrow, confused. What talent? She dragged me up to stand by her, and then explained.

"Sierra has an ability to remember music that rivals my own, and I have no doubt she will be able to manage this. I also think that our darling Alistair should know that his bride can sing."

I blushed. She couldn't ... she did. The initial strains of a song I knew all too well rang out. It took a bit of adjustment – string instruments just didn't sound like the electronic music I was familiar with, but which song she had chosen was plainly obvious – Serena Ryder's "What I wouldn't do". I grabbed her hand, pulling her to me.

"You had better stay here and sing with me," I growled at her, and she smiled and pulled out a small drum, nodding.

At first, I was quiet, and I'm sure few other than Alistair could hear me at all over Leliana's superior voice. Alistair's surprised look was followed by a pleased smile, and when Aedan and Zevran also grinned appreciatively, I gained confidence that was mirrored by my increasing volume. I couldn't project like Leliana – I'd never had voice training, and could only boast the ability to carry a tune, not wow a crowd – but it was enough, and the song was perfect.

{_If you should fall to pieces,
You know I’ll pick them up.
There are so many reasons
I’m never gonna get enough.

If you should leave this country,
You know I’ll come to you,
Because you always love me.
Oh what I wouldn’t do.
Oh what I wouldn’t do.

I’ll carry the weight,
I’ll do anything for you.
My bones may break,
But I’ll never be untrue.

Oh what I wouldn’t do.

Your love is like an ocean,
That always takes me home.
Whispering wind is blowing,
Telling me I’m not alone.

Your love is like a river,
That I am floating down.
I’ve never been a swimmer,
But I know that I’ll never drown.
I know that I’ll never drown.

The current grows stronger,
A hundred different shades of blue.
I’ve fallen in your water,
Forget everything I knew.

Oh what I wouldn’t do.

All the things I never noticed,
Opened my ears to the chorus.
You have made me listen careful
And you gave me the line.

I’ll carry the weight,
I’ll do anything for you.
My bones may break,
But I’ll never be untrue.
The current grows stronger,
A hundred different shades of blue.
I’ve fallen in your water,
Oh what I wouldn’t do.
Oh what I wouldn’t do._}

I was swaying to the beat and smiling by the end, despite my early embarrassment, and Alistair's grin made it worth it. I barely noticed the applause, or the cheering as Alistair lifted me off my feet and kissed me.

We finally settled down to dinner; so many of us being Grey Wardens meant the food was plentiful, and we cleared the table without delay. There was a little bit of the Antivan wine Zevran knew I liked, and a small keg of ale from Maker-knew where, but no one (including Oghren, for a change) was drunk and it was a lovely meal. It was rather hard to eat without letting go of Alistair's hand, but we managed.

After dinner, he stood beside me, and shouted to get everyone's attention.

"First, we would like to thank all of you for being here to celebrate with us. This wouldn't be happening without all of you helping, some more than others," he smiled and nodded his head to a blushing Leliana, "and we wouldn't want to do this without all of you here. Second, we would like to wish you all a good night." He turned to me and smiled. "I am a lucky man. I love you, Sierra."

I stood up and kissed him, to the mixed sounds of cheering and gagging from the crowd.

"I'd like to echo my husband's sentiment about you all being here. I think every girl dreams of her wedding day, and mine was perfect, thanks to you. I'm the lucky one." I smiled up at Alistair, unshed tears pricking in my eyes. "And I love you, Alistair. Forever."

His lips crushed mine, and he leaned down to scoop me up, fancy dress and all. I'd normally have squawked, but I wanted to leave as much as he did, and knew I'd be hampered by the silly train. He leaned me down to plant a kiss on each friend's cheek, and endured much back-slapping, and then we were out of there. We both stayed silent until we reached the rooms that had been prepared for us upstairs in the tavern.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.