There and Back - Cover

There and Back

Copyright© 2013 by Aquea

Chapter 68: Smack Down

We headed into the main hall, and found Teagan, Eamon, Theron, Tomas, and most of my companions already gathered, with the exception of the four who would be leaving the next day. To my relief, Isolde was nowhere to be seen. I gulped and then led Blake across the room, pulling him by the hand. I sat down, drawing the kid down beside me, and Alistair sat on his other side. I smiled gratefully at him and began piling a plate with food before handing it to Blake and filling another for myself.

No one said anything to me, and the conversation resumed around the table. I could feel the weight of Eamon's gaze on me, but ignored it as best I could. When Teagan caught my eye he winked, and I looked away and grinned. Tomas was frowning, and Theron just looked smug. Everyone else kept sneaking glances at Blake, who ate self-consciously, too hungry to pick at his food nervously. After a few more minutes, Theron cleared his throat.

"Sierra, I've been thinking about what you said. Could you explain that quote you told me to everyone else?"

Eamon glared at him, and I almost laughed. Swallowing my bite, I wiped my lips with a napkin and then repeated the quote for everyone. Theron nodded and made a 'go on' motion.

"Well, it's sort of self-evident, isn't it? I mean, say you're born an elf and you live in the Alienage. Your parents are probably poor and uneducated. Now they have an extra mouth to feed. You grow up with no training or skills to get a job, and no way to get training because you're poor and uneducated. You still, presumably, want to eat. So you steal. How do you blame someone who has never had any opportunity to get out of that vicious cycle? Of course people steal. And I'm not saying everyone who steals is like that – I'm sure there are those who are just greedy, or like the thrill of it; look at Rendon Howe, for a large-scale example of that. But the little people who steal aren't doing it for power or even for fun. They're just trying to fill their empty bellies." I glanced around, seeing Leli and Alistair smiling at me, and Teagan and Theron looking highly amused. I felt defensive and irritated, and I'm sure it showed.

"So what would you suggest?"

"Well, for one, the little ones should go to school. If they can read and write, do numbers, that sort of thing? They might be able to get a job. Work for a shop owner, or even open a business for themselves. And those businesses are taxed, so they eventually pay back what it cost to educate them.

"I mean, why doesn't the Chantry do that? It seems to me the best way to keep people having faith is to educate them. They can teach religion while they teach reading, and suddenly maybe people are a little more devout, a little more dedicated to the Chantry, in addition to being able to do something with themselves other than steal." My mouth started to run away with me, and I didn't know how to stop it, so I just brashly carried on.

"And why doesn't the Chantry do better helping the poor people? Isn't that the point of a charity? They should be running soup kitchens and clinics, and using the Chantry buildings as places of refuge for the homeless. That's what many of them do where I'm from. I can't understand why it doesn't happen here. And what about the noblewomen? I understand some of them fight, but most of them don't. Is there any reason that they are not out, among their people, teaching or healing or running charities? I'm sorry, I'm sure this sounds offensive, but your culture is extremely ridiculous and barbaric."

Theron laughed right out loud, and I grimaced at him. No matter what I said, laughing at me is just rude. Seeing my face, he tried to stifle his laugh.

"Oh, I'm not laughing at you, Sierra. I'm laughing at the response I'm imagining in the Landsmeet and with the Grand Cleric when I take you with me to tell them what you just told me. I want you to say it just exactly like you did now, too, no trying to cushion the blow for them."

I must have still looked confused, because Teagan finally took pity on me. "There have been those in the nobility who have been campaigning for exactly what you've been talking about for years. Maric started it, his son continued it, and several other nobles have been working towards the same goal. In Highever, and Waking Sea, and Rainesfere, for example. Some, though, have pushed back, saying it's not their job to elevate the ignorant peasants."

His willpower was impressive; he didn't look at his brother, whose face was pink with embarrassment (or anger, I wasn't sure), but it was obvious that Eamon was among those who didn't feel they needed to make any effort on behalf of the poor. I decided I'd pretend I didn't know, and rub it in a bit more.

I put on my best innocent expression. "Well, I suppose I can imagine that people like Bann Ceorlic, or Arl Howe would feel that way; they're clearly deranged anyway, and that sounds like something such unenlightened men would agree with wholeheartedly. I'm so grateful to be surrounded by much better people, ones who care about others and not just themselves."

Tomas, across from me, aimed a kick at my shins, and I gasped; unarmoured, it really hurt! I scowled at him, and he gave me an exasperated look in return. In contrast, Theron had a huge smile on his face, and Teagan seemed to be hiding a laugh behind his hand in the guise of a cough. Eamon tried his best to keep his expression neutral, pretending that I hadn't been including him in my sweeping generalisation.

"Yes, well, this has been a fascinating conversation, but I believe lunch is over. Perhaps later this afternoon, Lady Sierra, I could have the honour of a conversation in my study?" Eamon's lemon-face wasn't quite amusing enough to distract from my concern.

I nodded, knowing I was going to be called on what I said to Isolde. I need backup. "When Aedan has a moment, we'd be pleased to see you at your convenience, your Grace."

Theron jumped in. "Might I be included in this conversation?" He winked at me.

Eamon sighed. "Of course."

"I'll just go find Aedan then."

I stood to exit the main hall, unsurprised to have almost everyone except Eamon follow me, wanting to know what was going on. I sent Blake up to my room and told him to take a nap – he was appalled that I wanted him to nap on my bed, but I insisted – and dragged everyone else into the library. I told them what had happened, including everything Isolde said, with Theron adding in comments when I forgot something.

Teagan was tickled pink by the whole thing, and wrapped me in a hug, making me laugh. Tomas, on the other hand, was completely exasperated. He didn't disagree with me, but seemed to despair my inability to manage it politely. I stuck my tongue out at him.

"And exactly how far do you think I would have gotten by asking her politely to stop beating a child to death?"

Which was of course, exactly when Aedan came in, followed by the three mage recruits. Anders had on some clothes that actually fit, and was carrying a pack full of what looked like armoured robes, as well as a new staff; Solona and Jowan also had packs that were full to bursting. "Beating who to death?"

I sighed and shuffled over to him for a hug. "I've gotten myself in trouble."

"What did you do this time, sister dearest?"

I went through the explanation again, and was relieved to see nothing but fury when I told him what Isolde had done. He didn't even blink when I told him about telling Isolde about my parentage. He gave Theron a surprised look when I explained how he had stopped me from doing anything rash, and had backed me up.

I told him we were expected to meet with Eamon, and he rolled his eyes. "He can whine all he wants; if he can't control that hag of a wife, then we can't be expected not to step in. Don't worry."

Theron spoke up. "So, what are you going to do with the kid, now?"

I sighed. "No idea. I hadn't exactly thought that far ahead. I can't leave him here, that's for sure – Isolde will probably have the kid locked in the dungeon, accusing him of stealing the clothes I gave him."

"I've got an idea," Theron offered. "When we get back to Denerim, I will need a manservant to help me. Eamon, I'm sure, will offer me someone of his, since I'm sure Loghain will have sacked most of my staff by now. I'd prefer to have someone with no other political loyalties. I don't usually even let Anora hire my personal staff. I can train the lad, while we're here, and extend my protection to him; Isolde won't dare to touch my manservant, I don't think."

"He doesn't read, I don't think, and all he's ever done is grunt work. He won't be very much help at first."

"That's why having him start now is a good idea; I can have him ready for when we get to Denerim."

"You will teach him to read?"

Theron nodded, and I considered. It was actually an exceptionally generous offer, and I imagined the work required of a manservant would be much less soul-crushing than grunt work in Redcliffe's kitchen. "I'll talk to him about it this afternoon, and bring him to you this evening if he agrees."

He looked surprised. "And if he doesn't?"

"Then I'll figure something else out. Where I come from, everyone gets a choice. I won't be like Isolde; child or not, he can choose." I turned back to Theron, scowling. "And by the way, what the hell is with all the curtsying and Isolde calling you 'Your Majesty'? I thought we'd been clear that no one was to know your identity."

He flushed. "Actually, it started about the same way as your discussion with Isolde – she got angry with a 'mercenary' who was allowed to wander the castle at will and was sleeping in a fancy guest room instead of the barracks; she started shouting at me, and tried to kick me out. I even told her who I was; she didn't believe me, and slapped me. Teagan had to step in and stop her. I wasn't very sympathetic to her, after that, and let it go a bit too far with humiliating her; the staff caught on. Don't worry, they've all been threatened within an inch of their lives if they tell absolutely anyone who I am. They're all terrified of Isolde already; I don't think they'll betray me."

"I suppose I can't blame you for that. I didn't exactly do better."

Everyone broke up, going their separate ways for the afternoon; Theron asked if he could talk to me before I left, and Aedan insisted on staying as well. We waited while everyone filed out, laughing and chatting about what I'd done. Finally we were alone in the library.

Theron ran his hand through his hair, still short but with blond roots and the brown colour fading; it was a familiar gesture, one that I saw from Alistair every time he was uncomfortable. I almost laughed.

"Look, I just wanted to apologise. For everything." He glanced at me, and seeing my eyes narrow, hurried on. "I swear, Sierra, I wasn't actually trying to do anything to you, that day in the basement. I truly followed you out of curiosity, and then when I saw you there ... I called out to you, shouted a couple of times, actually, but you couldn't hear me over the sound of the water. I should have just left, but I ... actually, I don't know what I was thinking, but I swear I had no intention of wrongdoing. And then when you overcame me so easily, I was embarrassed, and then offended when you seemed so ... friendly, with Aedan, and I just..." He trailed off, looking sad and vulnerable.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.