There and Back - Cover

There and Back

Copyright© 2013 by Aquea

Chapter 19: Time for Truth

We rejoined the others, and I gave Aedan a slight nod as I sat down. He smiled at me, and I rested my head against his shoulder for a moment. Leliana was back, her expression tightly controlled, and I was briefly tempted to try to rekindle her blush, but decided that would be unkind. Aedan, Wynne, and I discussed the ritual that was to take place in Redcliffe. Wynne was skeptical, but Aedan and I both thought Morrigan was the best choice to enter the Fade. The question was how to get her to agree to it. My suggestion was to appeal to her pride - for Aedan to tell her that he didn't want to impose on her, but that he wasn't sure any of these other mages could do it, and ask her to help him choose someone. He wanted me to convince her, but I knew he could do it, and he needed to stay firmly in everyone's mind as the leader.

I also suggested that Aedan try to get a few moments alone with Solona – assuming she was in Redcliffe – and see if she wanted to be recruited. He was the Grey Warden – I figured the offer should come from him. The conscription would certainly have to, if she agreed.

We sat around the table or wandered the deck of the boat for the rest of the day. I was a tad seasick, having never been on a boat before, until Wynne used some sort of spell on me and I felt better. After that, sailing on the lake was glorious – sun shining, not excessive wind, and relatively warm. The spray from the water felt nice, though it made me wish for more – I was still sticky and disgusting from the corpse Alistair had dropped on me.

We docked in Redcliffe late in the evening. We were met there by Bann Teagan, with a few of the knights and a very subdued Theron. Both men nearly jumped out of their skins when I disembarked, and I hid my smile behind my hand. Theron had the grace to look embarrassed, and I noticed Aedan narrowing his eyes in response.

Apparently the mages had already arrived, and were in the process of readying the ritual; it would be morning before anyone could enter the Fade to rescue Connor. As we walked up to the castle, Teagan handed a piece of paper to Aedan, which was tucked into a pocket before I could blink. Morrigan joined us, pointedly telling Jowan to wait outside.

Teagan managed to suppress his questions until we were inside, safely in the library. "My lady! I thought I'd lost my mind when you disappeared. Morrigan assured me you would be fine, but I was still worried. And why are you wearing armour?"

I hesitated, but we had all decided to tell Eamon about myself and Theron anyway, and given the way I left Redcliffe, I couldn't justify further lies.

"What has Morrigan told you?"

"Not much. She's a hard nut to crack." She smirked, and I gave her a thankful smile.

"She was protecting me. But I think it's safe to tell you everything. Are you all okay with that?" I turned and met each of my friend's eyes, getting cautious nods from Aedan, Alistair, Leliana, Morrigan, and finally, after a thoughtful moment, Theron. "Leliana, would you be a dear and grab my pack out of our room?" She nodded and scampered off.

"I have to apologise, Bann Teagan. You see, for reasons of our own, each of us has secrets to hide, but mine are perhaps some of the biggest. I have lied to you, since we met, about many things. And I am sorry for that, though I had no choice at the time. If you'll promise not to act on what I tell you until you've heard the entire story, I will tell you the truth. Though you need to know that in this instance, the truth may put you in danger."

He gave me his word, and for the second time in two days I launched into the explanation of where I came from. Leliana returned in the midst of this, and I started passing him items to back up my story. Having seen me disappear into thin air, he was moderately easier to convince than the rest of our little group, which was good because I knew nothing personal that I could use to convince him.

"So, you can see, I am not a noblewoman, just a mystery in disguise. And the disguise was necessary, because there is another truth I was hiding. There were some survivors from the battle at Ostagar. Most of them from the rear of the vanguard, however, there were two from the very front line - one is a Grey Warden who has left on Warden business, but the other..." I gestured at Theron. "Take a closer look at my so-called bodyguard, my Lord. It might help to imagine him as a blond."

Teagan turned his piercing gaze on Theron, who stepped forward, posture changing subtly to look more authoritative, more arrogant. Teagan studied his face, and I noticed him glancing surreptitiously at Alistair from the corner of his eye. Finally someone else notices the resemblance! He turned to look at me, and I could see recognition, but then a question in his eyes. I shook my head slightly. No, he doesn't know about Alistair. Don't blow it. He turned back to Theron, crossing his arms in front of his chest, and bowed deeply.

"Your Majesty, I cannot excuse myself enough. I should have recognised you sooner, Nephew."

"Well, Uncle, that was rather the point of the disguise, wasn't it? No one takes too close a look at a noblewoman's mercenary bodyguard." He smiled and embraced the Bann warmly, and Teagan relaxed slightly. I stepped back in, speaking before Theron got fully back into King mode.

"So I apologise, my Lord, for the deception, but it was the best way we could come up with to safeguard Theron, now that Loghain is angling for the throne. He dislikes the necessity of hiding his existence, but we have convinced him it is necessary. I hope we can count on you to keep this secret? You must continue to treat him like a nobody. If anyone sees you defer to him, or call him 'your majesty', Loghain will stop at nothing to have him (and anyone who knows about him) executed."

Teagan nodded, bowing his head to Theron in acquiescence. He looked thoughtful, and I imagined he would have a lot of questions later. During the discussion, some of our group had slipped out, so by the end, there was only Theron, Aedan, Alistair, and myself with Teagan in the library. Once it seemed he was convinced, Aedan excused himself and asked to speak to Theron privately. The two left, and I was alone with Alistair and Teagan. He waited until we heard the footsteps recede, and then Teagan spoke.

"Maker's breath, how did I not see it? Alistair, you and he could practically be twins. But ... listen, I think he knows, or maybe at least guesses. I don't know how - some servant gossiping about you perhaps? But some of the things he's said since you left, Lady Sierra..."

"Just Sierra, please. I'm not a noblewoman, I never was." I blushed and refused to meet his gaze. "But, my lord, what do you mean about Theron? What did he say?"

"I can't remember exactly. Something about royal bastards running around the castle, I didn't pay attention to the rest. Though ... I was quite annoyed, actually. If it hadn't been for you, Sierra, I probably would have turned him out for being impudent." I stood stock still, furiously trying to think. What had I said, exactly? Oh God, what have I done? My hands covered my horrified face of their own accord, and I felt both Alistair and Teagan reach out to steady me.

"Sierra?" Alistair asked, voice kind. "Are you alright?"

"No, I'm really, really not. I'm so sorry, Alistair. I swore I'd never tell anyone, but I think I screwed up. I think I accidentally told Theron."

"What? How-"

"I was angry. The reasons don't matter, now. But I told him ... something like why didn't he go seduce another serving girl, because what was one more royal bastard in Redcliffe Castle? I'm so sorry Alistair. I can't believe ... I'm so stupid ... I just don't think before I talk sometimes."

Alistair sighed, but to my surprise, squeezed my hand gently. "It's okay. We knew he'd figure it out eventually, whether Eamon or Loghain or someone else told him. I guess at least here we have the chance to deal with it before it gets ugly in public."

"Promise me to stay away from him until I talk to him? Please? Let me fix this, as much as it can be fixed."

"Oh don't worry about me. I've no desire to have my execution ordered by my King. I think I feel the need to sleep in tomorrow." He turned to leave, bowing slightly to Teagan on the way. I watched him sadly, then turned back to Teagan. We were alone.

"I'm sorry, my lord."

"I thought we agreed, no more titles?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.