Brittany and Chad, Book 3 - Cover

Brittany and Chad, Book 3

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 2

[Chad] In reading my journal lately, I notice that my entries have become irregular. When nothing is happening, I'm not writing. When something does happen, I try to go into detail. Anyway, it's late January and a lot has happened. I just haven't had time to write. If Britt and I aren't working out details on our new home, we're over at Mel and Eric's new house helping renovate it.

Dad and Mitch were able to negotiate its purchase for a song from the bank. The loan officer there knew they had a dog and he was hearing from neighbors almost daily about the eyesore that it had become.

Most of the money from Britt's trust would go toward the cost of renovation. As soon as they got title, Eric was there with hammers and crowbars.

Mitch brought a portable generator to provide light until the next-door neighbor recognized him. He came out and he and Mitch talked. He was overjoyed that the place would be fixed up and even happier when he met Eric who was introduced as his new neighbor. In short order, Mitch's generator was turned off and extension cords were strung. Mister Johnson opened his garage to provide tools and came to help.

Mister Johnson saw and recognized Britt with Mel as the "ladylove" from the newspaper. He introduced himself to them. He was happy to find out that Britt was a sister in-law to be of one of the new homeowners. When Dad arrived, he was working with the rest of us. There were plenty of us working but, during a break, he went to his neighbors and enlisted more help including a licensed electrician and a plumber. They heard what was happening and offered to help for free. While everyone else was cleaning the house out, they went over the electrical and plumbing needs making Eric a full list of parts needed. When they brought their lists to him, they told him where to get the stuff, who to see, and to use their names and discounts! It was late when Mister Anderson showed up. He brought some measuring devices to be sure the house was square and level on its foundations. He was happy to find that the basic house was in good shape. He pitched in with a will to help with tearing out bad stuff. The carpets were stripped out along with much of the drywall. Most of the electrical fixtures had been stolen, as had all appliances and plumbing fixtures. The kitchen and bathrooms would need the most work. While everything was being done, we would improve the house, too.

Even with all the help, it took two days to clear the debris out and load the dumpster. The place was a mess! According to Dad, the bank took a bath on the house. The loan officer admitted to him that they didn't do appropriate diligence on making the loan. The house had been vacant for over a year.

The real work began in the rebuilding of the house. Eric asked me to help in overseeing deliveries. My car was useful in picking up parts from supply housees. I took everything into the house and, following the electrician's notes, placed items in the appropriate rooms to expedite the work. Britt was invaluable as a helper and I could hear the gears whirr as she learned about construction techniques. We had to replace one wall and I signed for the lumber, nails, and insulation when they arrived. Jack, Tony, and David all showed up to help and place insulation where it would be needed. They were carrying lumber with me.

Even Britt put on gloves and was carrying things. My ladylove was good with a hammer, too. She wasn't big but was strong and could get leverage due to her height. She seemed to enjoy tearing out bad sheetrock! She and Mel and the other girls and women made for useful helpers and nice eye candy. I know that the sight of my ladylove in her jeans bent over was a sight that sure made me happy! At suppertime, Mom, Dora, Missus Thornton, Dad, and a few others brought supper and the second shift. We ate, Mel walked Missus Thornton through the house, and another group started working while the first group of us rested a bit. Tobias and Jan joined the second shift, which included Eric, Ben, and a number of coworkers.

It was fun. I realized that Eric was being helped but that a sense of community was being created. People were getting to know other people and finding new friends. It was a real crowd!

Missus Martin was there with Amanda's father along with Amanda, who began working alongside Tony. Both pairs seemed to be getting along well. She looked happy when we met with her to arrange to see some houses when she had some time. She was thrilled when she found out why we wanted to look. She said that late afternoon was a good time because it was too early for most people to want to see houses.

We had gone out with Mister Charles and looked at our property. He noted our special place and found a good place on a slight rise for the house that was close to the water. He told us that he would have to perform tests for a septic tank and fill lines. Those would be placed away from the lake on the other side of the house.

We were closing in on the design of our house. It would sprawl out as a one story. Mister Charles' design would allow us to expand it if the need arose. The design would orient on the lake though the other view wasn't bad since we had plenty of land and trees. Mister Charles suggested that we move our entrance over fifty feet to better enter the property for the house location. He told us that he would use the good weather to begin running the general site preparation as soon as the testing for the septic installation was complete. He had some rebar posts and red tape to mark an area around our special area to leave it alone. We also marked the new path into the property. He said that he would have the road cleared and graveled within a week or two along with preliminary clearing of the building site.

We only had time for homework all through January. We were either researching our house or helping Eric and Mel with renovating their house. Britt and I learned a lot about home construction in the process. Both of us were in shock at the cost of some things.

We met with the kitchen guy who also designed our master bath. We brought Mom, Dora, and Mel with us to those meetings. Britt was still learning to cook and what should be in a kitchen. Mom was an excellent cook and helped us pick a practical kitchen that could handle the increased demands as our ability to use it progressed.

We also met with the automation guy who wowed us with some of the things he could do. We had many things set up. Some were for the, right now, distant future allowing us to monitor our children's rooms. We would be able to control our house's temperature, lights, and door locks remotely.

The last was a fencing guy. We contracted to have the entire road frontage fenced. There would be two gates. One would be our main drive with fancy electronic gates. The other would be a simple gate for our car to get in and out to our private spot. It locked with a chain and padlock and Britt and I had the only keys.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.