Brittany and Chad, Book 2 - Cover

Brittany and Chad, Book 2

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 19

[Chad] Lunch was interesting. Britt and I talked to Martha liking what we found. She, I hope, found us to be regular people in love with each other who had just bumped into some notoriety. Mom and Dad and the Deavers seemed to be getting along well. Mel and Eric were oblivious to anything other than each other. When we finished eating, I offered to make coffee. "Mel, do you want grapefruit juice in your coffee, today?"

She replied, "That will be fine."

"Eric, would you like the same?"

"Uh. Yeah, that would be fine."

We all were laughing loudly. Their minds gradually realized that the laughter was directed at them. Mel looked at me. "Chad, what's so funny?"

I said, "I asked if you would like grapefruit juice in your coffee and you said that would be fine.

"You two have been oblivious to your surroundings since you met. Eric may not even know where he is. I don't think either of you plans to vanish any time soon. Come up for a little air." Everyone laughed good-humouredly.

Mel put her arms around one of Eric's and lay her head on his shoulder and smiled softly. "I guess we have ignored all of you. I apologize. We just." Her voice trailed off. "Ric is just so amazing."

"Dy is wonderful. She has totally captivated my attention. Her life has been so fascinating." I think Dad and Mister Deavers were going to collapse with their laughter.

Realizing that they were still considered funny, Mel and Eric were blushing. I said, "Get used to it. Parents enjoy children even more as they become older." I left for the kitchen to start the coffee without grapefruit juice.

Britt and Martha joined me only a moment later. Martha said, "What's with my brother and your sister?"

Britt said, "We have seen it twice before. The first time was Mitch and Dora. The second was Tobias and Jan. Were you in church the Sunday they met?"

"No. I heard about it. You mean the same thing happened to Eric and Melody?"

I said. "It looks that way to me."

Britt said, "My honorary grandmother, Missus Thornton, calls it 'honorable pity.' It's when two people meet with points of need and let the other meet those needs with caring and consideration. It can be a pretty big event when it occurs.

"Everything you've told me about Eric has been good though he's hurting. Mel is good and she has been hurting, too. It may be an opportunity to heal each other and learn to love in the process. We will see. They're both smart and will figure it out. They just have to get through the initial shock. If things work out, they will be close very quickly. They are getting to know each other now."

We went back to the dining room with a tray of spoons and the cream and sugar that Britt carried. I carried the cups and saucers. We began to clear plates and the three of us had everything ready as I heard the coffee finish. Mel's eyes had glazed over a bit as far as the rest of us were concerned. I noticed that she hadn't released Eric's arm though I also didn't see any sign that he was trying to evade her hold. I poured coffee for everyone and took the empty pot back turning off the coffee maker. I returned and sat down.

Mel and Eric were both a bit more aware of their surroundings. Mel was saying to my grinning parents. "I can explain." She stopped and said, "Well, no, I can't. It's just that. I mean I met Ric. Oh! Don't torment me!"

Mom said, "We aren't tormenting you but kidding you is a lot of fun. You and Eric are the current targets of opportunity this afternoon. Actually, I think it's kind of cute. Obviously, the dynamic duo struck again though I'm not sure it was intentional!"

Britt shook her head slowly. "We had no idea. Will we see them eating Chinese tomorrow night?" She grinned.

Dad grinned. "No, the timing is different. Somehow, I expect they will be together though."

He looked over at the Deavers. "Why don't we go into the living room and finish our coffee. It's more comfortable. The kids can go into the rec room."

The Deavers and Mom and Dad rose and left. Martha, Britt, and I rose, too. We headed toward the rec room leaving Mel and Eric in the dining room. They hadn't noticed that we had left! When we arrived in the rec room, Martha said, "They are so neat. I would like that."

I said, "Be careful what you wish for. Britt has a track record that she wants to maintain."

"Chad, I just want people to be happy. You know that this morning was just a happy accident. The only pairing I did that was intentional was Uncle Mitch and Dora."

"Ladylove, people do have a lot of happy accidents around you." We grinned at each other.

Britt said, "Martha, would you like a guy? Really?"

"Yes. I have been lonely with Eric off in school. I've never been able to bond with anyone in school. I like the folk in our Sunday school class but never got close to any of them. Eric was my best friend and I've never been comfortable around people without him close by to offer moral support. I don't think he will have that much time for his little sister now." Britt pulled her into her arms and held her while she cried silently.

Mel and Eric came in. Eric said, "Sis, what's wrong?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.