Brittany and Chad, Book 2 - Cover

Brittany and Chad, Book 2

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 18

[Chad] It's Christmas time. It's cold but not more or less than other Christmas's. Mel doesn't come to our bed as often already. She is adjusting and seems happy. She and Dora are inseparable.

Britt is a little irritated with me. I won't let her come into the shop. I decided that I couldn't compete on money or with the things that money can buy. I did feel that I could compete with love and my hands. I am making a gift with my hands and spending the time to make it look as perfect as I can. It is taking some evenings because I'm working during the school's holiday break. I'm trying to earn some more money toward that ring. Her birthday is almost two weeks before mine in early March with mine following in mid March.

The present is made from an old board that I found at our private place while we were there during the summer and put in the trunk. At the time, I didn't know why but I just threw it in. I saw it a week later and pulled it out and cleaned it off. The grains were beautiful! I put it in a corner of the shop wrapped in a piece of paper on which I had written, "Hold for Chad."

As I looked at it and studied it, I realized that it was a horizontal slice from a tree with the bark cut away into a roughly square piece. I found time and went down to the art department and talked to the teacher there. I had enjoyed art but couldn't take it with my course load of college prep courses. I had stayed in touch with the teacher. She asked me about the wood and what I had in mind. I told her that Britt was the center of my heart and I wanted to make something for her. She wrote Britt's name on a piece of paper in a delicate hand. She wrote Chad on top in block letters. She said, "What if you made your name at the bottom and put hers on top on a diagonal? It will be a little delicate but you have the ability to execute it well."

I brightened. That picked up my thoughts exactly. I began to sketch and showed her my thought. I said, "I can use parts of each name to strengthen the whole piece, too."

She said, "You always had a good eye for design and how a piece should work in reality.

"Chad, I think you should think about design engineering in college. We need engineers with a feeling for beauty as well as good engineering principles. Of course, lawyers are designers, too. Good luck with your present."

I thanked her and later worked on the design and started on it. First was cutting and then carving. After that was the tedium of sanding and smoothing. I was now close and getting ready to put on some light stain on Britt's name and dark for mine. Then, a satin coat would seal it. I also found her a beautiful ivory colored blouse with Mel's help. I would enjoy Britt wearing it. It was as soft as her skin. It would work with her tan and she could wear her necklace if she desired. I had it in a box and wrapped it. It was under the tree with other presents for other members of the family. I suspected Mom and Britt were working on something for me because Britt wouldn't talk about it at all. I finally finished the wood piece and was happy with it. It came out better than I had hoped. On the back, I burned, "To ladylove for Christmas 2012." I wrapped it and attached a card. It read, "You are totally entwined in my life right through its center. I like you there. Love, Chad." I hoped she would think it all sweet. Only time would tell if she liked it, too. I had hopes.

On Christmas Eve, we went to church for a candlelight service that always choked me up. The choirs combined and were wonderful. Usually, we received communion seated. But, for Christmas Eve, everyone went to the altar. Mom and Dad went first holding hands followed by Britt and Mel with me in the center holding each one's hands.

Christmas day arrived and the four had our usual breakfast. We were joined about half way by Mel. We enjoyed each other's presence. It was chilly outside but warm in the house. Missus Thornton had flown to be with her son and we were watching her house. Mitch and Dora would have her mother over at their new house. Amanda and her father would be at the Charles' home. Tobias and his mother would be at the Anderson home. People were getting together. It would be just the five of us this year though we would go over to the Abrams this evening.

Traditionally, we opened presents in the late morning and then had dinner shortly after that. Mom put things on the stove to cook and we went into the living room to open presents. Each person went forward, one at a time, to pick a gift and hand it to the recipient. Typically, Dad went first giving a gift to Mom who went next with a gift for him. Mel usually went next giving a gift to anyone followed by me.

The first two went off as usual with Dad getting Mom a beautiful blouse. Mom got Dad a couple of new dress shirts. Mel stood up and walked over and pulled a gift. She placed it between Britt and me. She said, "It's for both of you."

I said, "It's heavy."

Britt began to open it. When she pulled it out it was a small statute of a couple embracing. It was a modern representation in a green-blue stone open in the middle. The bottom formed a heart shape. On that bottom, Mel had written "B+C, Christmas, 2012"

On a card inside, she had written, "Your love has enough room for others to find a place in it. I have. Mel."

Britt and I both had tears in our eyes as we hugged and kissed her.

I gave Britt the blouse. It would look lovely with her necklace. We gave Dad a new putter that Mister Baker said he wanted and Mom a first edition book from one of her favorite authors. We gave Mel a pendant with three hearts entwined.

Dad and Mom gave us beautiful sweaters in a medium tan color. In a darker brown color, mine had embroidered, "Brittany's." Smaller was "beautiful man." On hers with similar lettering was embroidered, "Chad's" and under that "ladylove."

That led to some more tears and hugs and kisses. We had first thought we had them reversed until Dad said, "Always read the small print."

There was one present left under the tree and Britt brought it to me. I opened it slowly to find a beautiful man's signet ring with a sapphire the same color as the ones in her necklace. She gently took it from my hand and put it on my left ring finger and said, "That will have to hold you until I give you a plain one this summer. Mom, Dad, and Mel clapped as we kissed.

A moment later, I stood. "There is one more but I have to get it. Mel, when I come in here, Britt must close her eyes." Mel nodded. No one but, possibly Dad had seen my gift. I wasn't sure he had. I came back from the shop with it in my hands with the card on top.

I gently placed it on her lap and softly said, "Open your eyes, please, ladylove."

She opened my hand-written card and tears came to her eyes. She hugged and kissed me. She began to unwrap the actual present and began crying. "Oh, Chad! It's beautiful"! She looked at it to see the letters meet in the middle of our names and that they were intertwined with each name supporting and strengthening the other, light and dark stains intermixed. She held it up to show it to Mom and Dad and to Mel and saw the back and started crying again.

Britt had my plaque and the statute in her arms and was crying gently. I said, "Ladylove, are you okay?"

"Chad, I could never have imagined a year like this one has been or the wonderful love I have been shown by so many people. Sometimes, I have to cry just to let the joy out."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.