Brittany and Chad, Book 2 - Cover

Brittany and Chad, Book 2

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 15

The time to pick up Mel seemed to fly by. Everything was quiet. Mel would be ready after her Thursday exam. We would leave from here early Thursday morning to meet her, help her load, and get on the road. Our teachers had made our absence permissive. We would have to do the work but would have no tests until the next week.

Wednesday evening, Mel called us in tears. Mom answered and she asked to be put on speaker. "My car was trashed. All four tires slashed, the windows broken out, and the upholstery ripped terribly. The campus police found Dan as he was leaving. He resisted arrest and had to be subdued. I think Annie told him I was leaving in the morning. She and I haven't been friendly lately. She has believed Dan. She went out with me to look at my car and screamed, "No!" and ran back to the dorm.

"Dad, the police want me to press charges. I have the chief's number. Would you call him? I am looking at the wreck. They are going to impound the car. The chief thinks it isn't worth fixing."

Dad said, "Where are you now?"

"I'm in the parking lot of the dorm looking at the mess. The interior smells like chemicals, too."

"Mel, I will call the chief and call you back if you finish talking to Lois, Britt, and Chad first. Stay there or go to the police station. My first opinion is to file charges. I'm going to use my cell."

Britt said, "Mel, I'm so sorry. This was not your fault. I had to learn that from my mother's actions. Bad choices are made. I'm going to have Chad talk to Uncle Mitch on his cell.

"Chad, talk to Mitch. Find out what precautions we should take tomorrow as his best guess."

Mom talked to her. "Have you seen any sign of Dan before now?"

Mel said, "No. I think I've seen him but I listened to your advice and stayed in crowds. Right now is the first time I've been alone at all. The only thing I've said is that we broke up because it wasn't working out. I wouldn't discuss it further with anyone other than Annie.

"She had asked why I wasn't signing up for next semester. I said that I was taking a piece of this year off and would go to junior college because a friend of the family was pregnant and needed help. Actually, I planned on offering to help Dora with the dry cleaners."

Dad came back. He said, "Mel, go to the police station. Chief Robbins is waiting for you. File charges. There may not be enough to get it to trial but Chief Robbins will hold him until after lunchtime. That will give Britt and Chad time to get there, get you loaded, and on the move. Dan's car was impounded and he won't be able to get it until at least late afternoon. I want you on the road as quickly as possible.

"I talked with the lady from this hospital, also. She was surprised to hear from me. Dan had called her and refused his scholarship but would not tell her why. I gave her the story. She is upset. She realizes that her breach of confidence created the events that led to this situation. She thought she was doing something good because she told him that it had been established and he was the best, first candidate for it. She had told him that our family had nothing to do with him finding out about it or qualifying for it. Her last statement was, "I had such high hopes for him."

"Back to other matters, the chief said that your warrant is only part of Dan's problems. He was resisting an officer and was drunk, too. Chief Robbins will have the papers ready for you for your car's damage though it's actually in my name.

"Britt and Chad will leave early to meet you as soon as your exam is over. The Chief will want you to call when you get on the road. Only then will Dan be allowed to make bail if he can.

"I love you, Mel. You are the victim and don't forget that. It is my opinion that Dan has mental issues that would render him unfit as a doctor. You could not have known that at any time or in any way. Come home to us!"

We got off the phone as she was at the police station.

I had returned from talking to Mitch. He had told me no guns but be careful.

Britt and I went to bed early and just held each other all night. It was one of the very few nights that we didn't make physical love. Holding was what we needed.

We did manage to sleep well cuddled together. We showered and went downstairs for coffee to be met by Mom and Dad! Mom said, "We wanted to see you off. I looked in on you when I came upstairs and then got Charles. There may be cuter pictures but I will keep that one in my heart for a long time."

Dad smiled. "That big bed is somewhat wasted because you are tight against each other! It was a real 'aww' moment. It made our sleeping easier last night."

Mom said, "We want you to be very careful. Come back with Mel. We love all three of you very much."

All of us had tears in our eyes. Mom had made our breakfast, served as always on one plate with two knives. Britt still used the tiniest bit of creamer but other than that and the difference in jelly, we were alike.

The weather was, of course, a bit colder and we had decided to wear warmer clothes with both of us in long pants. We had our breakfast and left to hugs and kisses.

The trip over and up was uneventful. Mel called and said that she was ready for us. We were less than twenty minutes out and told her.

We pulled up outside her dorm and went in. We had to be allowed up though that was more formality than any real security. We went into Mel's room to find her and Annie almost toe to toe. I said, "Good afternoon, Mel. Hi, Annie!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.