Brittany and Chad, Book 2 - Cover

Brittany and Chad, Book 2

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 10

We waited and a few minutes later a car pulled into our drive. Mister Anderson came to the door. Dad said, "Come in, Ben. Where's Judy?"

"She's waiting in the car."

Dad said, "Will you go and bring her in or should I?"

Mister Anderson said, "I want my daughter or I will call the police."

Dad said, "Why don't I call my friend from before high school, Mitch? He's the chief? You might also remember that I'm the Senior Assistant District Attorney for the circuit. Now, your bluff has been called. Either follow through or bring your wife inside and we will talk like civilized human beings."

I was watching. He started. He went out to his car and returned with his wife.

Dad said, "Sit down. First of all, your daughter and Toby have done absolutely nothing wrong and have nothing about which they should be concerned much less ashamed."

Mister Anderson said, "I haven't accused them of anything. I just want to keep my daughter from making a terrible mistake like her sister did."

"Ben!"

Mom said, "I have heard the full story and Charles has heard enough of it." She looked at them both. "Has Janice ever done anything that has ever suggested she was untrustworthy or lacking in good, common sense?"

Missus Anderson said, "That's not the point."

Mom said, "First, that's the entire point. Second, you didn't answer the question."

Mister Anderson said, "I'm not going to debate my family in front of you or them."

Dad used his court voice and said, "You can either do that or tell it Children's Services. I have enough to have her remanded pending a hearing.

"Now, why don't each of you exercise some common sense and quit mouthing threats? Answer Lois' question"

Missus Anderson said slowly, "No."

Mister Anderson said, "No!"

Mom said, "Have you found her trustworthy and honest in her dealings with you and with others?"

They both answered, "Yes." It was obvious that they weren't happy. Chad told me that you did not talk back. I understood that better than ever during this situation.

Dad said, "We have now established that she is trustworthy and uses good common sense. Not talking about any past history in which she had no part, has she ever done anything to change your mind on those facts?"

Mister Anderson said, "No!" Missus Anderson shook her head negatively.

Dad continued, "I have found her a lovely, polite, intelligent young woman." He looked at us. "Britt, Chad, have you ever heard or seen anything that even suggests that is not true?"

We both answered, "No, sir."

Dad said, "Thank you. Both of you may go to the kitchen and wait." We got up and left quickly and quietly. Mom told us later what happened until we were invited back in. We could hear some it because we forgot to close the doors.

Mom said, "Have you ever tried to determine why what happened to your daughter, Karen, happened?" They shook their heads. Mom continued, "Having a pregnant sixteen year old is not good but castigating her accomplishes nothing. She came to you two for love. You got mad. Ben, you even punished an innocent father in a fit of anger. Is that how you expect your employees to act? Would you even tolerate it?" Mister Anderson shook his head slowly. Missus Anderson was weeping. Mom didn't let up. "Now, instead of loving your remaining daughter and rewarding her many, many good points, you are pushing her away from you as roughly and unlovingly as possible. You are trying to screw up your other child. I have been teaching for longer than my children have lived. I don't let people get away with that!

"Charles, you could file for a protective order in the morning. We can call Mitch to have Ben and Judy placed in custody for a day or so." Dad nodded without expression.

"Now, if you two really love your daughter, it's time you acted that way. Your lives would be happier and she can be the light of your family. You need to give her a chance. She really loves you and all you do is degrade her. She is such a fine person that she forgives you and tries to do even better even though her good sense tells her that's a lost cause. You're well on the way to convincing her she's not good or smart or pretty or, most important, a person of worth. I would be proud to call her my daughter and would be honored by her love.

"I have a wonderful daughter off at college and another wonderful young lady here who calls me, Mom. I love them both. The only reason Brittany was not adopted was because of the bond between her and Chad. Are they perfect? Of course, not! Do they know, know, that there is nothing they can do that will diminish our love for them? Absolutely! Your daughter is as good as either one and should be treated with pride and respect. She is worthy."

Mister Anderson was now crying. Janice ran into the living room. "Don't cry Daddy! I'll try to do better! Momma, tell him. I'll keep trying!" The three of us followed her and watched as she sank to her knees sobbing hopelessly.

Her dad went to his knees beside her and embraced her. Through his tears, he said, "Jan, it's not you. It's me. It's me! You've been a better daughter than any father could deserve. Judy, I'm sorry. Help me! Missus Anderson joined her daughter and husband kneeling on the floor. The rest of us were tearful.

Toby stood behind Janice and she turned to him and hugged his legs. Janice said, "Tobias, stay with me. It'll work out!" He gently patted her shoulder and caressed her cheek.

Mister Anderson saw that and smiled. He slowly stood and then pulled his wife to her feet. He looked at Toby and motioned for him to help Janice to stand.

He took a deep breath. "Jan, you a wonderful person. Your Tobias seems to be an equally wonderful young man. With my blessings, you are not allowed but encouraged to date him."

Missus Anderson hugged him tightly. "Oh, Ben! That's a good decision. I'm solidly with you."

He looked at her. "Judy, I haven't listened to you well in the last few years. It's past time that I did. Help me to be a good husband for I really love you. I want to get back to being the guy you first loved.

"Tomorrow, call Pam Martin. The three of us are going to find us a house, no a home, in which we can live as a family. The plant will have to run itself until I have time to get back to it.

"Tobias, I would be honored if you will take my daughter back to the hotel tonight and pick her up in the morning for school. You two make a fine couple. Give her time. Give me time." He stuck out his hand to Toby who shook it firmly though I guess Toby only does things firmly. He and Janice were smiling and he had his arm around her.

Mister Anderson went to Mom and Dad who were standing together, each with an arm around the other. "Charles, Lois, I didn't like the lesson but I sure did need it. Thank you. You could have walked away from this but toughed it out. You are simply amazing. The hymn says, 'Once I was blind, but now I see.' Thank you for forcing my eyes open. I am blessed with a beautiful, wonderful wife and a beautiful, wonderful daughter. I plan to work at being a husband and father worthy of them and of their love

"Judy, please give me the key to Jan's room." His wife handed it to him. He took it and placed it in Janice's hand. "You handle it, Jan. I trust your judgment and love you." Janice let go of Toby and hugged her dad tightly and then her mother. He offered his arm to his wife smiling at her. She took it. They both looked like people who had left a huge emotional load behind.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.