Brittany and Chad, Book 2 - Cover

Brittany and Chad, Book 2

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 8

[Chad] With big smiles, we went out to the car and Dad drove the short trip to church. He parked and we got out. A car with out of state plates pulled up close to us. We all stopped to greet those we figured were new people. Mom and Dad greeted a couple about their age. They were two very tall individuals. The back door opened and a female's shoe came out. The rest of that leg had cream-colored slacks. She just kept getting out. Finally, she stood and it was a female about our age who, in flats, was just taller than me! We had closed up and Britt stuck out her hand. She said, "Hi, I'm Brittany and this is Chad. I'm guessing you're new here?"

She looked a little startled. "I'm Janice Anderson. My dad was just transferred here. I'm glad to meet someone. I'm a senior this year."

Britt said, "Chad is a senior. I'm a junior but will graduate this year so we can go to college together after we're married."

Janice's eyes went wide. "You two were in the paper, the hero and his lady!" Britt and I both blushed. She said to Janice softly. "We try not to make too big an issue about that. Chad is the hero. I was just stubborn."

I grinned. "She still is, too."

Britt said, "It's tough having to change schools in your senior year."

Janice said, "My brothers went through it. Dad's job has moved him a lot. We're used to it. This one was quick because Dad is replacing a man at the plant here who wasn't doing well. It was a big promotion but we didn't plan on a move until next summer. I'll be in high school here starting tomorrow morning."

I said, "That's great! It's actually a good school. Mister Baker, the principal, is a good guy. What classes do you take?"

"I guess the college targeted ones. Dad's company has a tuition plan if my grades are good."

Janice's mother said, "Janice, we're going to class with the Arnolds. Are you okay?"

"Yes, Mother. Chad and Britt are in my grade and I'll join them. See you in church!"

I said, "I guess we need to start walking that way. Mister Raines is our teacher. He's a really good guy and the folks in the class are good people. You will know some people for school after this morning."

Britt said, "Did you leave anyone behind?"

Janice shook her head. "It's tough being tall. I scare the shorter ones and the tall ones were all dumb jocks."

Britt's eyes flashed for a second. "That's not totally true here. I will have to remember to introduce you to a good friend of Chad's. He plays football and basketball but is in the honors' classes with us. Don't pre-judge him. Toby is good people.

"Chad may be shorter and nothing scares him."

Janice looked me over slowly. "No, I don't think he would shy away from any kind of challenge. From the paper, it seems you two are inseparable."

I said, "I just follow where she leads me."

Janice laughed. "I don't believe that for a minute."

She took more notice of Britt. She said, "That is a beautiful necklace and it looks good on you."

Britt said, "Thanks. It's a family heirloom. My grandmother left it to me."

We had reached the class and went inside. The first person there was Toby. I said, "Toby, I want you to meet someone new to our town. Janice Anderson, this is my good friend, Tobias Martin." I stopped talking because no one was listening to me but Britt. It was Mitch and Dora on a younger scale. They were looking at each other transfixed. Britt was standing to one side of me and I felt her pump her fist in the air. They had touched hands but just held them. Neither one moved or said anything. The rest of the class suddenly realized what was happening and became quiet. Mister Raines had come in and was watching with interest the tableau before him.

After a long minute, He gently said, "Brittany, wake them up and we'll begin class. Britt put her hand in front of their faces and snapped her fingers. "You can both wake up now." They both visibly shook themselves.

We led them to chairs and they sat down. We sat down next to them holding hands as was our practice. Mister Raines looked at Janice and Toby and said, "You will find holding hands more comfortable if, Toby, you would switch hands." They did quickly. He looked around. "Brittany, do you know the young lady?" Britt nodded. "Please introduce her please."

Britt grinned. "Mister Raines, guys, this is Janice Anderson. She's new here having moved from Arkansas when her Dad was transferred. She will be in the senior class." Most of the class really liked Toby. So, while we all thought it hilarious, no one laughed as they again came back to earth. Everyone was friendly though all were smiling. Janice and Toby blushed heavily though I noticed neither one tried to extract their hand.

Janice managed to strangle out, "Hello everyone. I'm glad to be here." Mister Raines smiled gently and said, "Brittany, you may need to find a new project." That released the pent up glee and everyone began to laugh loud and happily.

Janice looked around and said to Britt, "Brittany, what's so funny?"

Britt said, "I've become a matchmaker and finding a match for Toby was my latest project." She emphasized the word, "was."

Janice blushed. "You think your work is done?"

Britt said, "You're still holding his hand."

Janice blushed even more. She didn't let Toby's hand go but squeezed it. "It's a good hand. I like it."

The class was now totally disrupted with people helplessly laughing. Toby looked up and said, "What's so funny?" Everyone laughed more. Even Mister Raines was having trouble standing he was laughing so hard.

I leaned over Britt and Janice. I said, "They are happy for you. Britt's work is done."

"What was Britt doing?" He hesitated and the light dawned. "Oh!" He grinned happily. "Oh!" His grin went to a big smile. "Maybe it is. Maybe it is." I noticed he still didn't release Janice's hand.

Mister Raines is a smart man. He knew that class was over and made no attempt to teach a lesson. When the laughter quieted down, he said, "Perhaps, Miss Anderson would stand up and tell us a little bit about herself." He looked at Janice directly. "You seem to be a smart, nice young lady. I would like to get to know you and so would the class."

She stood up and Toby stood with her. The class laughed some more. They blushed but neither one of them was trying to quit holding hands. Janice said, "We just moved here from Arkansas when my dad was transferred here to take over managing a plant. I am a senior and will start school tomorrow at Lake Shore. I'm glad to meet you." She gave Toby's hand a squeeze and continued. "We've moved before but this was a quick one.

"I play basketball and run distance and do the high jump in track. If there is a swim team, I would like to try out for it, too. I plan to go to college next fall though don't know where.

"I thank Brittany and Chad for introducing themselves to me in the parking lot and showing me into this class. Thank you all for being nice to me."

The girls came up and gave her a hug. The guys shook Toby's hand. His other hand seemed to be permanently attached to hers. We finally trooped out and headed toward our parents' class. As we got there, that class was just starting to leave.

Mom and Missus Martin were talking to Missus Anderson while Dad was talking to Mister Anderson. Toby and Janice were still holding hands as they followed us.

Missus Martin looked down the hall and said, "Judy, is that your daughter with my Toby? She looks to be a fine looking young lady."

Missus Anderson looked up and said, "Yes, that's my Janice. She seems to be holding hands with your son!"

Missus Martin said, "Have you met the Arnold's son, Chad. He and his girl, Brittany, have become quite famous in our little town. Chad took a bullet meant for his father saving his life and Brittany wouldn't leave his side while he was in the hospital in a coma. The local paper did a number of stories on them. They are quite the couple. My Toby's proud to be their friend."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.