Marine Games
Chapter 5: The Olympic Trials

Copyright© 2013 by Frabarn

Once we had qualified for the trials the extensive training began. The Trials were being held in April and May of this year. Both Bob and I received received large amounts of paperwork. There was information regarding where and when the trials were to be held. Information regarding available room and board that they supplied, as well as available hotels, if desired. Since both Bob and I had low enough qualifying times they were going to arrange our expenses.

There was information on meetings that were optional as well as meetings that were mandatory. Information regarding possible assistance with training expenses after the trials, if we made the team was included. There were requests for information from us to be supplied in the form of press releases. There were books of rules regarding what we could do, when we could do it, with whom we could do it, where we could do it, and why we probably shouldn't or should do it. For some reason I missed the chapter on how we should do it if we did decide to do it. It included a list, two pages long, telling us exactly what IT was. Being guys, we let Diane, Heather, Ann, Amber, Stacy, Andy, Julie, Anita, and Nancy read everything, and fill out the forms we needed.

We were allowed four adult guests for each trial. Deciding whom would go to which trials was interesting. For Bob's trial of the Steeplechase, Diane, and Evan Barker, Bill and Julie Wilson, Daughter-in-law Nancy Wilson and grandson David were invited. For my trial in Tae Kwan Do, Mike Miyagi, Frank and Andy Martinez, Amber and Adam Woods, and Ann and Mark Brown were the group. For the Marathon trials Heather, Kelly, and Kim Mathews, Stacy and Molly Woods, Anita and Andy Martinez and Brooke King were the group invited. Judge and Mrs. King would attend the trial separately from the official group. Frank and Anita Martinez split so one could take Andy to each trial.

So! Let the trials begin!

The Tae Kwan Do competition started almost with Bret being disqualified. Unlike regional competition where all class of competitors compete, in the Olympics each competitor must be hold a black belt certificate from the Kukkiwan. Bret had never been tested for a belt as such. Luckily Mike Miyagi was present and had his sensei credentials. With a local dojo supplying the forms, Mike filled out the certificate for Bret's black belt. After that minor hiccup, the tournament proceeded. In Bret's fourth match, he fought a fighter, David Fong, who was his equal. After three rounds, the score was tied. Two judges had David Fong with nine points and Bret with eight points. The other two judges had Bret with nine points and David Fong with eight. A sudden death round was initiated. Bret fought very conservatively in this round. At the end, neither fighter had scored a point. David Fong was declared the winner, based on the way he aggresively pursued the match. Bret had fought the overtime round very conservatively. This was the only close match for either David Fong or Bret. The trials ended with David Fong first and a Olympic roster spot, Bret seconnd and an Olympic roster spot, and a Chief Petty Officer Davis third with the final roster spot. Mike Miyagi was very proud of his pupil.

During Bob's final in the Steeplechase there was a little excitement. Bob and a runner from Oregon by the name, Tommy Thompson were the favorites. At the fourth water jump, a runner with little chance at winning tried to gain an advantage. With a sudden burst of speed he pushed between Bob and Tommy shoving both runners off their feet. The resulting fall caused both Bob and Tommy to lose about a quarter of a lap on the leaders. Tommy also had a bad scrape on his left knee where he contacted the edge of the jump. Getting to their feet both Bob and Tommy took off after the leaders and tried to catch them. The offending runner was removed from the race by the judges but the damage was done. The lost distance was too much to recover, as the two lead runners were quality runners, themselves. At the finish Tommy's knee tightened up just enough to let Bob finish in third with Tommy a disappointed fourth. Bob was lucky to make the team. Tommy had to settle for first alternate. The celebration after the race was a little quiet as Tommy was a friend of Bob's.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.