Marine Games - Cover

Marine Games

Copyright© 2013 by Frabarn

Chapter 5: The Squad

Now that he knew his squad, and his position, Bret began to study the responsibilities of the scout. Since Bret qualified for the games during the first thirteen days, this left him with forty-seven days before the actual start of the Games. Bret began to think he should go and get a first-hand look at the actual terrain. Thinking for the first time that one might come in handy, Bret bought cell phones for himself and the three girls. Since Bret had never used a cell phone, the girls had to set it up for him with everyone's number and show him how they worked.

Bret received permission to enter the Games reservation signed by the Captain in command of the games. He had the girls drop him off at the closest edge. With a backpack full of maps and granola bars, and three canteens around his waist, Bret began exploring. He promised to call when he was ready to be picked-up, or if he was injured.

For the next forty-three days, Bret familiarized himself with the terrain of the reservation. Using maps and compasses, he was able to identify many areas that looked to be easy access that were extremely difficult and others that at first glance looked impossible, that were in reality just an easy stroll. He located and marked places for available water and identified areas that had no available water for miles.

During the forty-three days, he was able to get firsthand knowledge of ninety-five percent of the terrain. When he called to be picked-up he was as dark as a Native American, and knew as much about the reservation as any of their ancestors.

Diane and Ann picked him up, and as soon as she saw him, Ann threw herself into Bret's arms and bawled. After thirty minutes of crying (during which, all Bret did was hold Ann in his arms) he learned the reason for her sadness. Ann had learned, two days previously, that she had become pregnant from the rape. Due to her religion as well as personal feelings, she would not let the baby be aborted. Having finished telling her story she looked at Bret. Bret opened his arms smiling and simply said.

"I guess we'll have another member of our family arriving before long."

No more was ever said about the situation.

Arriving back at the house, Bret was greeted by the whole group: Heather, Kelly and Kim were all smiles, Gunny Wilson and Julie were pleased, and Bob was jumping up and down with news. Not giving anyone else a chance to talk Bob told Bret that he had finished fifth in his last event, and had agreed to join Bret in 1st Squad. Bret just beamed his understanding. He and his friend would be competing together. Bret said Gunny Jackson had asked about Bret and was worried that something had happened. Bret called Gunny Jackson and invited him over to the house.

Over dinner everyone noticed the smile on Ann's face. After looking at Bret, nothing was said.

Gunny Jackson arrived at the house. After introductions, he asked if it would be possible to talk to Bob and Bret in private. Everyone retired to the living room leaving the three men in the kitchen. Gunny Jackson insisted Bob and Bret call him Tom. Tom stated that he wanted to get the whole squad together in the next day or two and discuss strategy. Tom stated that they would be dropped onto the reservation in three days, and would have one day to prepare for the exercise.

Tom said, "Bret, that isn't going to give you much time to scout but I will give you all the help I can including bodies."

Bret laughed and told Tom," I will give you our best route of travel within twenty minutes of learning of our location, and our three best alternates two hours later."

Tom just stared, questions written all over his face.

Bret said, "I have spent the last forty-three days, from sunrise to sundown, learning all aspects of the reservation. I probably know that terrain as well as any of the Native Americans that lived there years ago. I know where there is water, and where there is no water. I know where there are passes through areas, and where none exists. I can tell you which are the easiest, and which are the hardest routes to travel. I think I am ready, Gunny."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.