Dulcie's Joy - Cover

Dulcie's Joy

Copyright© 2013 by Tedbiker

Chapter 3

It was very strange. Everything was the same, yet nothing was the same. It had been difficult to let Richard go to his own home – she'd wanted to ask, to beg, him to stay, to sleep with her. Jumping the gun with Peter had seemed obvious and natural, yet she sensed Richard would have been uncomfortable with it.

Emma and Liina were both delighted at her news. Emma actually said, "It's about time, Dulcie. I reckon he's been screwing up his courage to ask for weeks. Months, even. You'll be perfect together."

Later, Liina quietly asked, "Is it okay if I sleep in my own bed? I don't mind if you want my company, but I've been okay while you've been away and, well ... you're okay now, aren't you?"

"That's fine, Liina. Oh, and Liina ... I don't think I ever said it, but ... thank you. You made things much easier for me. I don't think I would have slept nearly as well without you. But you're right. It's time to move on as long as you're happy too."


Sasha and Emma talked, as you do. They considered a joint wedding, and swung between choices several times before they decided it made sense; so many guests would be the same for both of them. The decision had to be made quickly, because some people had to travel to be there. Dennis had made it clear that the parents of his late wife would want to attend, and Emma wanted Susan Sorenson to come. They settled on a date at the end of August. Susan would be Sasha's maid of honour with Carli as bridesmaid, and Jen would be Emma's, with Liina as bridesmaid.

The girls were slightly at a loss as to who might give them away, but in the end, Emma asked Richard, and Sasha, Arthur Glover. Both men were touched and honoured to be asked.

Malcolm had a slight difficulty; his relationship with Sasha had been so close he'd been a little isolated from his peers. He considered asking Tom Carmichael, but it would have meant Tom losing a weekend's work on the barges and that just wasn't fair. He looked around the men at church and finally asked Paul Meadows, who'd married Eileen, the daughter of Bridie and Andrew Cameron.

Dennis – well, he did consider several people, but in the end there was only one choice; Frank Firth, the father of his late wife Cathy.

Emma and Sasha discussed their dresses, unsure whether to wear white, or even a formal dress, but in the end were persuaded and chose similar, full-length white dresses.

The church was full; the couples were known and popular. Emma, in particular was loved for her devoted support to Dulcie. As most there were church people, they were more attentive to the spiritual aspect of the ceremony than is usual. The singing was spirited, too.

The reception was catered by the ladies of the congregation – they insisted. The only thing that needed to be arranged was a space large enough, with tables and chairs. The Moot Hall fitted the bill perfectly. It was all most satisfactory.

For honeymoons, Dennis took Emma to Sheffield, where they could explore Derbyshire easily and attend St. Jude's. The first night, Emma was nervous, though determined, but Dennis was patient, tender and loving. Emma immediately decided making love would have a high priority for her in the future and she did her best to wear Dennis out.

Sasha and Malcolm went to London. Intimacy, sex, was less of a priority to them as they'd been enjoying each other for several years, so while they did do a lot together, they also went separately to places that interested them. Sasha wanted to see several of the homeless provisions, especially those for young people, while Malcolm had invitations to visit architects who specialised in contemporary church work, particularly versatile, multi-purpose buildings. He was interested to see how practical outreach activities could be combined with the sacred, the sense of peace and tranquillity that is characteristic of so many older church buildings.

Which is not to say they didn't make love, or do things together. In fact, they found to their surprise that their intimacy was deepened and intensified as they shared their love with each other, and their interests overlapped as they visited churches where outreach activities had been accommodated sensitively in new buildings or extensions to old buildings.

Both couples returned to Essex. Emma and Dennis to his little house, though they'd agreed that they'd be looking for something a little larger actually in Maldon, to be closer to the church. Sasha and Malcolm to the Stevenson house, where they received a surprise. Jeanne had moved out of the master bedroom into a smaller guest room.

"You can redecorate the master bedroom," she told them, "to your taste, but you must have it and have a proper large bed. We'll order one; my old bed is, well, old, and past time to be replaced. You're still in Malcolm's room for now, but that's what I want to happen."

Sasha hugged the older woman and kissed her, whispering in her ear, "Thank you, Mum," which had the effect of bringing Jeanne to happy tears. Malcolm, not understanding, just made it a three-way hug, which was really the best thing he could do.


A meeting called by Dulcie between Jeanne, Sasha and a selection of members of the congregation, resulted in an agreement to try an 'open house' coffee morning at the Stevensons' once a week, which would be advertised on the church notice-board and in various local businesses. Handouts would be distributed by members of the team to anyone they thought might benefit. Jeanne emphasised the need to be open minded.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.