The Powerpuff Girls (Play Time Is Over!) - Cover

The Powerpuff Girls (Play Time Is Over!)

Copyright© 2013 by Dreaming Bear

Chapter 5: Venus arising

: Medical data log; SYSTEM DATE STAMP. 5:45.Am. AST. (Supplemental entry.)

One thousand ninety-five days have elapsed since initial surgical procedures on subject

Blossom Utonium were initiated.

At the time of this recording subject has successfully undergone extensive reconstructive surgeries of varying degrees amounting to a total of one-hundred and twenty-six separate documented restorative procedures.

All of which have been indexed and are on file for later review.

To date all successive bone, muscle and tissue grafts taken from 'Theta Unit', have been accepted by the subject's physiology with little to no apparent postoperative complications.

This has allowed relatively rapid reconstruction of the lost fifty-seven percent of the subject's bodily mass.

I am still unable at this juncture to understand the reason underlying the loss of the subject's meta-abilities.

Previous studies, conducted by my progenitor conclusively show that the subject AKA 'Blossom Utonium' Like both of her sisters, generate infinitesimal quantities of the substance known as Chemical-x as part of their 'normal' biological processes.

For reasons as yet unfathomable the subject has apparently lost this ability.

In addition to the orchestration of her injuries, the loss of this process has not been fortuitous in aiding her recovery.

With the obvious loss of her powers of flight, other less flamboyant meta abilities suffered as well.

Invulnerability sustained through the same biological processes was rendered virtually nonexistent by the time the subject was delivered into my care.

I state the matter thusly as I postulate that while the ultimate mechanism that has robbed the subject of her powers is still unknown, the process by which said removal occurred could not have been instantaneous.

If such were the case, to conclude my point however bluntly there simply would not have been a body to recover.

Additional factors, such as enhanced healing were apparently lost as well, It was this more than any other reason which demanded immediate intervention.

Other troubling factors exist, such as the discovery of a systemic anemia brought on by a severe mineral deficiency which I find wholly odd given the subject's age and background.

I have of course factored this in and duly corrected the condition as part of the subject's ongoing regimen.

It is the considered opinion of both the diagnostic system and consultative subsystem that the subject's condition has progressed to a point where it is now warranted to remove her from life support.

I concur.

2

The view opens up on a gray room whose very lack of color further emphasizes its Spartan furnishings.

Midway along its left-hand wall there is a niche that contains a single red vase composed of what looks to be red marble containing veins of gold.

A few porcelain sculptures, possible Grecian? Adorn charcoal colored pedestals at the room's northeast and southwest corners.

These noted appointments appear to constitute the only attempt at deliberate decor.

The massive computer terminal that sits at room center however is boldly modular and brutally function with little left to esthetics by design.

The high backed chair that is situated before its terminal interface is no less intimidating in its almost thrown like proportions.

Nor for that matter is the individual currently seated there, working the aforementioned terminal.

The earlier glimpsed figure pauses, staring broodingly at the computer's screen.

After a moment finding nothing further to add he rises, pushing back the chair.

"Log off." He intoned solemnly.

Then with a glance at his surroundings he addressed the general area.

"Bring room illumination up one quarter."

Somewhere a hidden system responds, causing the room lights to brighten bringing the individual fully into view for the very first time.

The features thus revealed are of a decidedly brutish cast.

He is light complected yet heavy of brow with eyes that are large, deep set and altogether startling in their color.

The reddish pink eyes of an albino that gaze back upon the world about him.

The nose, which divides his face is curiously flattened in its appearance.

It is broad in the extreme and turned up in such a fashion to further flatten the appearance of his visage.

A pronounced jawline rounds out the list of curious facial features, his chin is quite broad and sports a black twin goatee which due to his lack of eyebrows is the only instance of visible hair.

What draws immediate attention however is not so much the individual's face which is startling enough but rather his head or more precisely the back of it.

For the entirety of the top and back of his cranium are surmounted by a segmented polished high metal helm which ascends from just above his brow-line to enclose the entire back of the individual's skull.

It is from the sides of this contrivance that metallic tendrils descend to affix in turn to discs inset into various points along his back and spine.

The upper body to which these cables are attached possesses musculature that could be described as Olympian in proportions with massive arms and a broad deep chest.

His lower body however which had become more notable now that he is standing is as powerfully muscular though somewhat oddly abbreviated.

This results in a rather simian appearance overall even given his rigid upright posture.

Moving past the computer terminal, his hand flicks out almost casually touching a key, causing the wall across from him to suddenly part, retracting away in two directions.

Revealed beyond is a similar chamber which is dominated however by a large translucent tank filled with bubbling bright pink liquid.

Though reminiscent of the one seen previously, this tank appears markedly larger while the liquid within is rendered somewhat opaque to the observer by the room's overhead lighting.

Metal cables descending from the ceiling unseen above vanish into the churning fluid.

Once his progress has brought him beside a set of controls, he begins manipulating a panel located atop a podium next to the enclosure, double-checking all systems with an obvious practiced ease of motion.

After several minutes of this he pauses a moment to survey his handy work.

Smiling to himself as his finger then stabs a final key with a deliberate flourish producing a loud click as he permits himself the merest of satisfied grunts.

Deep within the floor below there comes a titanic wheeze of massive hydraulics lumbering into play.

On all sides of its base, support panels snap back and downward from the tank with a loud metallic sprang.

This serves as precursor to dull a rumbling as the tank itself begins to lower slowly and smoothly into the floor.

With its descent, the support cables dangling from above begin to lose their slack as some burden yet unseen surfaces within the bubbling fluid, all while the author and sole witness of these events stands by coolly observing it all.

Slowly, awash in pinkish emulsion and swaddled in what appears to be an envelope of loose white gauze, inch by inch the restored body of Blossom Utonium is revealed to his expectant eyes.

Rising from the descending bath, by way of the cables attached to her back by means of a translucent harness, much of her and indeed most of her head is encased in an oversized opaque sort of helmet-like device.

Comprised of twin metallic bronze polygonal faceted hemispheres, this grotesque covering boasts an array of flexible conduits, cables and trailing wires.

All of the aforementioned attached paraphernalia ascend in various fashions, eventually along the ceiling mounted tethered main umbilicus.

The numerous protrusions plus the bulbous nature of the bizarre helm lends her head an aspect which is reminiscent of both insect and octopus at once.

Attached at the helmet's apogee towards its back is an additional tendril, a separate covering whose purpose is to contain and wrap the voluminous volumes of her hair.

Gathering the mass of her tresses into a high tech pony tail that tapers and descends along her spine.

A last fiery shock of red silk trailed wetly from this conduit's end as it also at last cleared the lowering tank.

For a time he stands merely observing, savoring the moment while the sounds of support mechanisms continue their labors as the gauze swaddled form of Blossom slowly rocks back and forth. Swaying gently from the umbilicus affixed to her back.

As the upper threshold of the tank finally retracts below the level of the floor, a series of long panels slide into place completely covering the reservoir, before as one they lift and seal themselves into place, becoming flush with the room's floor.

Pausing but a moment to confirm everything is as it should be, he nods apparently satisfied.

"Activate support mesh!" He commands.

His words are answered almost instantly as the swaddling of 'white gauze' begins to oddly contract...

Within moments as it continues visibly shrinking, adapting and conforming more and more, the gauze mesh begins to closely match the exact contours of a body, which in spite being petite is formidably curvaceous.

In particular as the mesh begins to complete its contractions, becoming almost a second skin, Blossom, though suspended begins to give an appearance of defying gravity in at least two other spectacular ways.

"Extend gurney." His voice brimmed with obvious satisfaction as instantly a metal stretcher slid out from a receptacle in the right hand wall before locking solidly into place.

"Lower subject into release position." He continued, and then watched the cables begin lowering their burden.

As this was done the system responsible was adept enough to adjust Blossom's horizontal position until she is suspended perfectly prone and face down only inches above the gurney's surface.

Moving to her side he begins checking umbilical connections while running a hand along her spine.

The brutal cast of his features was suddenly offset by a smile of obvious pleasure when he notes her back and buttocks flexing in direct response to his touch.

"Ah!" He addressed her suspended form.

"You're finally awake then. Good!"

He added a paternal pat gently to the small of her back.

"Central Annex." He then called while looking across the room as he cleared his throat.

"Note the current time as 5:55.Am AST; Notation as follows...

The subject has apparently regained consciousness."

Turning back to his efforts, he spent the next few moments carefully making a final check of the connections along her back.

Finally satisfied he again nods.

"Raise gurney."

The metal frame waiting beneath the gentle pendulum of Blossoms form promptly obeyed, beginning to smoothly elevate until it had risen to its master's immediate chest level.

The overhead cables now slackened completely as the gurney at last received her full weight.

Another brief pause for one final check and he is at last satisfied.

"Release support umbilicus!"

With a sibilant hiss the cables relinquished their various holds with a corresponding shot of vapor and a loud pop! As each connection was broken.

As the noise marking the last separation had finally died it made way for the muffled sounds of piteous moans and grunts, now audibly issuing from beneath the helmet as Blossom begun to weakly thrash.

"Careful now." He said soothingly.

Shifting quickly to the gurney's head, he grasped Blossom gently by the shoulders. Slowly stroking her back with the other hand.

"Easy, you're safe!" He continued gently.

"Quite safe! Just relax and breathe normally."

He watched and waited for her to calm, giving her several minutes to adjust to the reality of the situation before at last he reached for the helmet.

The moment his hands broke contact from where they had been reassuring her however, Blossom became visibly agitated.

"It's alright!" He coaxed while taking a hold of her hands, squeezing them gently.

"I'm not going anywhere!"

Her only response was the smallest of whimpers as once again he reached for and this time deftly grasped the helmet in both hands.

Pressing thumbs into a pair of triangular plates recessed into the forehead section of the mask produced a sharp 'click' as a catch was released allowing the helmet to separate into two halves.

"Saline pick." He calmly addressed the air while gently prying the halves further apart.

Thick pink gel had begun drooling outward from the now divided sections slowly revealing more and more of the upper half of Blossom's face.

At this point he reached out a hand and immediately received the device he had requested consisting of a small hose with a precise nozzle.

With it in hand he directs a thin stream of sterilized water as he begins cleaning the area surrounding her eyes.

"Slowly, slowly now." He told her, trying to keep continuous contact as he worked.

"We don't want to do anything fast."

Once the area is clear of the gel, he begins to remove a set of pads which are affixed over both of her eyes.

"Lower room illumination forty percent." He commands.

After waiting for the room to sufficiently darken, only then does he gently work on loosening the edges, finally removing both pads.

"Now! Very slowly." He told her.

"Try to open your eyes.

Don't be concerned if your vision is a little fuzzy at first." He added reassuringly.

His smile broadened as his face is slowly lit by a soft pink glow as Blossom opens her eyes.

She blinks dully, uncomprehendingly at first as her vision slowly begins to clear as the soft pink radiance which is natural at least for her eyes illuminates the unfamiliar face before her.

"Umm?" She attempted to inquire.

"Don't!" He responded, then more gently.

"Don't try to speak just yet,"

"You have a respirator catheter down your throat." He explained.

"Don't worry," He assured while softly petting the bridge of her nose with a finger.

"You're doing beautifully!"

He allowed a pause at this time while she absorbed what was said.

"Now, I'm going to remove the catheter. I want you to relax!

You are in no danger! But, this is going to feel weird!"

Her eyes blinked and then to his delight she nodded!

"Excellent," He exclaimed mentally.

"She understands! And that is a very good sign."

Sliding fingers to the back of the contrivance, he opens a catch located on the lower portion of the device still encircling her neck.

With a sharp click its restraining collar separates.

"Now, take a deep breath." He began as he kept looking directly into her eyes.

"But don't try to hold it." With a visible effort she complied.

"Ok, here comes the part I mentioned," He began.

"If you feel any pain let me know."

Giving her a second to mentally prepare he began to gently pull the mask away.

"Ewww!" Was the best that Blossom could manage as she attempted to vocalize her displeasure, repeatedly slapping the sides of the gurney.

"Hang on now," He coaxed as he slowly continued the removal.

"Just a bit more!"

The process in fact took less than a minute to accomplish but to Blossom the interval felt infinitely longer as the tube slowly pulling free seemed without end.

She was unable to keep from squirming and making sounds of discomfort until finally, blessedly the tube cleared her throat.

He then waited observing her carefully and only after a sufficient interval, during which he was satisfied she wasn't exhibiting signs of oxygen deprivation only then did her strange benefactor seemed to visibly relax.

Beaming with satisfaction, he clipped the now detached helm onto a place prepared for it among the hanging mass of conduits. Taking his eyes from her a moment to look up, checking that all was clear.

"Retract umbilicus." He then said, and watched as the cables snaked slowly upward, finally disappearing into their place somewhere above.

"Extend support table."

From the left-hand wall this time, a light grey slab with a top of non-reflective black extended into position, locking into place beneath the gurney by means of lowering a hidden support.

"Lower gurney." He then intoned.

He then watched as the metal stretcher began to lower until almost touching the newly installed platform's top.

"Transfer patient to table."

Now in the intended position the parallel rails which comprised both sides of the gurney began to counter rotate.

As this was accomplished a series of contoured blade-like pads affixed side by side like the teeth of a comb to each rail swung slowly downward, thus releasing Blossom's weight onto the waiting surface with surprising gentleness.

The rotation of the pads continued until a full one-hundred eighty degrees was achieved placing bed of the gurney above where Blossom now lay.

"Retract gurney." He stated flatly, then noted with some apparent satisfaction as it promptly obeyed, vanishing as it returned to its place within the right hand wall.

"And now," He continued while resuming his place beside the new table and reestablishing direct physical contact.

"We are going to turn you over."

And so saying proceeded in manipulating her unresisting form with the utmost care into a face up position.

As she was being placed upon her back however Blossom began a mild fit of coughing during which he continued his efforts to directly reassure.

Fortunately the spasm is short lived and soon enough she is breathing normally.

"Good," He told her smiling while taking the liberty of holding her hand.

"That, I think is the worst of it my dear."

For a time it seems enough for both to hold their positions. It is very apparent that Blossom is confused, frightened and gives all indications of being disorientated particularly in the fashion in which she clings to him.

It is a short time however before she seems to fix directly upon his face and begins working her mouth in an elaborate fashion while gazing up at him imploringly as she attempts to speak for the first time.

All that exits Blossom's mouth for her trouble is a long, loud exhalation, coming out of her almost as a dry rasp.

"Your vocal cords have been nonfunctional for quite a while."

Her benefactor smiled, squeezing her hand.

"Don't rush it! It will come back."

Blossom blinked, nodded and then after a long pause, now obviously concentrating, she made a second attempt.

"Whhhooo."

He nodded in encouragement, giving her hand another squeeze.

Lying back, Blossom gathered her strength and after a moment tried yet again.

"Who," She rasped then swallowed.

"Harrrrr..."

She paused after this, shaking her head. Obviously not having achieved the desired goal.

"Hh- ARE yew?"

His smiled widened, clearly he was impressed. He did however at the same time expose some rather pronounced canine teeth.

"We will forgo lengthy introductions just now." He told her then paused, seeming to consider.

"For the moment, you may simply call me ... Joseph."

He paused again apparently pleased with the sound of it.

"Yes, Doctor Joseph. That will do for now."

Her eyes were large, pink and luminous in the subdued light of the laboratory.

They were also exquisitely beautiful in his opinion.

He sat for a moment drinking them in, basking in their loveliness.

The moment after all was a fitting reward for all his efforts! With many, many more to follow he was sure.

Blossom in the meantime was scanning his face, looking around obviously searching for something, anything familiar and finding none.

"Whhhare?" She finally gasped, then stopped as speaking to her was still supremely difficult.

"Where are you?" Joseph completed the thought for her again while gently squeezing her hand.

His red eyes then looked about, indicating their surroundings with his gaze.

"You are in a private research facility."

He paused then added, not without a certain amount of pride...

"My personal research facility."

Blossom sank back, tiredly. Obviously fatigued from her efforts, which considering the circumstances were certainly understandable.

"Rest assured." He smiled while patting her leg reassuringly.

"You're in good hands."

Blossom nodded quietly, though even that effort seemed to almost exhaust her as she chose the next moment to relax completely back upon the soft absorptive surface of the slab upon which she lay.

Her features too relaxed, as she almost appeared instantly to be falling asleep, but only for that instant.

The very next, her eyes snapped wide open suddenly becoming wild as just as suddenly she grabbed hold of his arms.

Abruptly clinging to him with the energy and ferocity of one whom is drowning and finds sudden reprieve.

"What is it?" He inquired, deeply concerned, particularly about her eyes. The way that they were rolling wildly about. The look of one in a sudden and absolute panic!

"Please!" She began as Joseph's own expression fell absolutely blank with shock at her rapid regaining of vocal control.

"What!" He managed, before exerting his own level of iron control.

"What is wrong?"

Perhaps it was something in his words? Or it may well have been just the sound of his voice. More likely than not he would consider in moments hence that it was a simple matter of fatigue which suddenly caused Blossom to subside.

As slumped back again with a gasp to lay exhausted against the tables padded top.

"Please." She repeated helplessly before pausing while her continence twisted with absolute angst.

"Can you tell me?"

"Yes?" He queried softly as he was visibly shaken as well by the ordeal.

"Tell me, who I am?" She implored wonderingly.

Joseph sat back slowly, his own eyes widening as realization dawned and he suddenly understood.

"Damn." He breathed.

3

: Medical data log; SYSTEM DATE STAMP. 3:45.Am. SST.

"Amnesia, a condition characterized by loss of memory for long or short intervals. Causes range from physical injury, shock, senility, or severe illness.

In other cases, a painful experience and everything remindful of it, including the individual's identity, are unconsciously repressed."

Again within the grey room Joseph sits staring intently at his screen over a bridge formed with his fingers as he continues to dictate his log.

"Owing to the nature of her injuries, the manifestation of this condition while unfortunate comes as no real surprise.

Indeed, under these circumstances the discovery may prove to be an absolute boon.

Possibly, if for no other valid reason it will forestall my authoring any further elaborate fabrication or distortion of facts in order to continue my studies of the subject at such close range.

As for the subject's physical condition, neuromuscular rehabilitation is proceeding.

With aid from my support mesh plus physical therapy the subject has rapidly recovered much of her motor skills.

In the two months since the mesh was originally deployed there has been marked improvement.

I am confident that subject Utonium will..."

His brooding dictation was suddenly interrupted by a whoosh signaling the opening of the room's door.

"Talking about, but not to me again eh?" A voice said.

Joseph had mildly started at the noise.

Even after all these weeks he was still becoming accustomed to unexpected occurrences such as these.

With a look of resignation, flavored with a dash of annoyance, he turned slowly toward the source.

The intruder's identity constituted no real surprise of course, but then in the one-mile square space of the complex, the two of them constituted the only living souls.

Leaning against the open door frame Blossom smiled radiantly back at him.

Attired neck to toe in a sheer black mesh much the same as the one seen previously, over which she wore an abbreviated white halter and matching mini skirt.

White running shoes and weightlifters gloves, both accented with pink laces of course, completed her ensemble.

Her fiery red hair attractively styled in three elaborate French braids.

Once she was certain that she had his full attention, Blossom raised her arms elaborately and struck a pose.

"Tah-dah!" She exclaimed.

"What do you think?"

Joseph's reaction was instantaneous.

His initial look of resignation gave way to one of irritation as his scowl deepened.

"You have modified the support mesh!"

"You don't like it?" She asked brightly then pirouetted before him with an air of complete innocence.

"That is not just some garment you can modify!" He stated with obvious concern.

"It is a highly complex neuromuscular stimulation and support mechanism!"

Blossom favored him with a look of feigned surprise which lasted for a few seconds before her expression faded into one of wry appraisal.

"Which I will have you to know is too damn sheer!" She retorted icily while placing her fists upon her hips in what would be termed 'a classic gunfighter stance'.

"You could've had enough decency to at least make the damn crotch opaque you know!"

She added angrily.

Joseph eyed her for a moment obviously startled by what she had said, but only for a moment.

Over a span of a few years he had personally, bit by bit, with the utmost care both assisted and guided the process of reconstructing the body of the young woman now regarding him furiously.

For a time after her resurrection from the tank, while still as helpless as a new born babe Blossom had not seemed troubled to wander about wearing only the support mesh.

In all honesty Joseph had enjoyed it.

After all what was wrong with viewing that which he had helped to rebuild.

He found the lines and symmetry of her bare form quite pleasing.

Which was why he was having such difficulties understanding her outburst?

"Slightly more important considerations prompted its design than modesty and vanity you may recall."

He told her bluntly.

Joseph then drew himself up and fixed her with a cool regal stare.

"Unimportant little matters!" He continued wryly as his eyes narrowed.

"Such as saving your life!"

"Ah..." Blossom nodded, leaning back against the door frame while crossing her arms to study him critically.

Apparently she wished to give at least the appearance of giving his response some due consideration before she suddenly rolled her eyes.

"Oh, don't pop a vein." She told him with a smile as she straightened then sauntered past where he sat and into the room.

Swiveling his chair to follow her progress Joseph raised a hand, index and middle fingers extended.

He was attempting to stammer ... Something.

More than likely it was an objection to her intruding upon him when he was otherwise engaged.

For the moment however all he could manage was a wordless utterance as she continued both her physical intrusion and verbal assault.

"A few layers of normal fabric over the top won't hurt your precious mesh!"

Blossom practically cooed as she slid past his position.

"And I queried the smart system for the changes I wanted to make."

She continued, making her way across to an illuminated section of white wall, where there was a parade of image transparencies affixed for purposes of 'backlighting'.

"And I ran a full diagnostic of your old mesh before and after."

She concluded as she paused to examine what was on display.

Most of which even at current distance are easily recognizable as various medical displays and readouts.

The majorities of actual recognizable images however are obvious anatomical studies.

"You queried the smart system?" Joseph had adopted a rather blank expression.

Truth be told he wasn't concerned about her accessories. Even a moron would realize there was no danger there. What had concerned him was that she had covered the main access node. It was worrisome but likely of no consequence, he might have even said so.

Whatever it was that he was going to say however had apparently abruptly lost priority.

His reaction was counterpointed by the smuggest of little smiles finding purchase on her face.

"Uh huh." She said mildly looking over her shoulder.

"Besides, I don't know what you're getting so upset over." Blossom added as she turned back to the wall and her smile rapidly grew mischievous.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.