The Case of the Missing Woman
Chapter 21: Reality

Copyright© 2013 by Mendon Fishers

Winter was over and spring was attempting to make itself felt, when Dr. Jim proposed to Tara and of course she accepted. Percy's worst fear was being realized. Don Vito and he were going to be in-laws.

Percy's daughter wanted him to travel to Philly and meet all of Jim's family in July. Jim's family was having a 4th of July party and "we" were invited. It took Percy almost a month to make the necessary arrangements for all of them to be away from the lodge for a week.

That's right, a week.

Percy's little girl wanted to make the wedding plans; pick out a gown and all those other things.

It must have been about two days before we left when Percy's cell phone rang; it was that blank caller-id again. After some pleasantries he added, "Percy remember, we never met face to face and only talked on the phone once as far as anyone knows."

Then he hung up.

When the travel day arrived a dark van arrived first to collect our luggage, followed by a super stretch limo. Everybody was impressed but Dr. Jim. I guess he was used to riding around in them. If you think the limo impressed Percy's family, the private jet just blew them away.

I'm not going to try and explain what they said about the house.

The same English butler met us at the door and welcomed us. Well actually he welcomed Percy and Dr. Jim, waiting for the rest of the Percy's family to be introduced to him so he could welcome them. By the time he was done Angela appeared with hugs and kisses for everyone.

Percy thought that his kiss lasted just a little bit longer that all the others.

Angela smiled at me and whispered, "There aren't enough bedrooms. Is it ok if Tara and Jim share?"

He nodded "yes".

Then she floored him, "And us too?"

Percy's smile answered her question because she lite up like a child at Christmas. Then she added the killer, "Dad would like to talk to you privately."

Percy and Angela walked to his library and were invited in at our knock. "Dad, this is Mr. Percy Holmes," she said.

They played the greeting game, and Percy was invited to join the Don on one of the large leather couches. He dismissed Angela. Oh not rudely or anything. She was asked if she could see to the other guests' wishes.

As soon as the door closed, he walked to his mammoth desk and pressed a button. Percy heard the doors softly lock. "This will avoid interruptions and insure our privacy," he stated.

"First we will get the wedding planning over. Percy, I am one of the 15th wealthiest men in the world. Oh my name doesn't appear anywhere because I am about 30 different names. I am paying all the costs of the wedding including air fare, accommodations and formal wear for all the guests. This is not up for discussion."

"But..."Percy started. But was quickly interrupted.

"I said there would be no discussion."

Percy looked very hard at him.

"Percy, please let me make this wedding something both kids will remember for the rest of their lives. Angela married someone I did not approve of so I was prevented by my choice of honoring her. I have only one child to lavish my fortunes on. Please indulge me."

"I understand your desire and I know my daughter will love it, but I have reservations about how your income is derived. We are on opposite sides of the law, Don Vito."

"Percy first I must tell you that the name by which everyone know me is Raymond Cuifo, Ray to my friends, "He stated. "There is no Don Vito. I used my grandfather's name as an alter ego. Don Vito has become a name for a criminal mind that controls the Northeastern Crime Empire."

"Percy, I understand your concern. Please join me at my desk and I will show you my empire. I am completely legitimate now. When I inherited the title 'Don', I started my journey out of the crime world and into the law abiding world. I succeed"

We spent the next two hours reviewing his empire. At the end Percy asked, "Why then do you maintain the charade of an organized crime boss?"

"The reason is simple. My enemies are intimated and my partner's fear cheating me." he said with a smile. "Don Vito was a very nasty individual, but I am not. I'm just a simple family man who succeeded in the business world."

He looked at Percy sadly, "I've carried a terrible burden on my back all these years and soon, Percy, I'll be dead and relieved of that burden. I just hope none of my enemies harm my family after I'm gone."

We were interrupted by Angela's knock on the door, "Dinner's ready you two."

As they left the study, Percy had the distinct feeling that "Ray" had plans for him.


The dinner was excellent! Percy's family was very impressed with the food, the dining room, the servants, and of course the food. (It was so good I had to mention it twice)

Ray sat at the head of the table and just beamed over his "new" family members. Percy was seated at the other end next to Angela. Between the two of them, Percy and family felt as if this was another home for them.

Percy didn't notice it but Tara did, "Angela can't seem to keep her hand off you, Dad." She said when they were alone.

"Tara!" Percy exclaimed. "She's Italian and very touche-feelie. It's part of her nature."

"No Dad, it's more than that, I think."

He would have followed up on that comment, but they were escorted into the library for coffee and dessert.

We spent the better part of the next four hours just getting acquainted, before going to bed.

Angela escorted me upstairs, "I took the liberty of having your belongings put in this room."

I opened the door and walked into a beautifully decorated bedroom. The only problem was that it was decorated for a woman. She opened a walk-in closet and there were all the things Percy had packed plus all the clothes he had purchased on their Boston trip. His stuff occupied a small portion of the closet, the rest were woman's clothes.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.