The Case of the Missing Woman
Chapter 16: Percy Struggles Ahead

Copyright© 2013 by Mendon Fishers

My cell phone rang again with that blank caller ID. "Hi Don Vito," I answered. I guess I was being a smart ass.

"I guess a blank caller ID is a dead give away," he said laughing.

"Thank you for the tip about our local hospital,"

"Percy, that's exactly why I'm calling. I have a very brokenhearted grandson. He no longer has a reason to visit your daughter, Tara, now that her mother has died. He wants to apply to your local hospital as a resident. Can he do that without affecting our "friendship"?" he asked.

"Of course he can. We need a qualified cancer specialist. But I'm still not sure I want you as an in-law." I said with a smile in my voice.

"I'll tell him, my friend." The call disconnected.


It was a long lonely summer without my Judith at my side, but I managed. One day a large envelope appeared in the mail. It had no return address. After I opened it, I found the society page from last Sunday's New York Times.

My heart broke.

There on the front page was a picture of my Judith arm and arm with another man.

I read the article. It said that the billionaire, Mr. Jonathon Hunting Smyth and his new bride, Judith, were interviewed while attending a charity gala at Rockefeller Center. "The happy couple revealed they would be honeymooning in Europe for a few months." The article went on to explain all about the happy couple and what their future plans were.

I put my head down and cried. I guess Judith found a solution to her problems with me.

Later that day, I decided to have a bonfire. The fire would consist of everything Judith left behind and keepsakes reminding me of her. I would purge my memories of her while the fire consumed the physical reminders

Todd and Dean (Jenny's husband) helped me gather everything up and put it on the fire. Jenny took pictures as we worked, and of the huge fire afterword. I admit I did get a little carried away. I burnt everything including the furniture from our bedroom. I even went so far as to burn her favorite chair from the den as well as all her little knick knacks from around the lodge. If the object wasn't flammable, it went in the dumpster.

Later that week, I mailed the newspaper article along with the bonfire pictures to Judith's office. I wrote on the envelope, "To be opened by addressee only."

A week later I got a text message, "I'm sorry" was all it said. I guess someone at her office opened the envelope for her.

I hoped it spoiled her honeymoon for a couple of days. I know it was a petty wish, but damn it I was still hurting. The bonfire really hadn't helped.

The fall hunting season was rapidly approaching and we were filling up. Tara pointed out to me that they had a reservation from a single woman wanting one of our larger cabins for a week. I still had not allowed Kate's (or I thought of it as) old cabin to be rented. Somehow I just couldn't see letting a bunch of rowdy hunters in her cabin.

"Make sure she's not an anti-hunting nut or some animal rights activist. If she checks out OK, let her have Kate's cabin." I instructed Tara. I might as well start renting the cabin again. I decided to have a plaque made commemorating Kate's life, attaching it to the cabin. (Ok, so I'm a big softie, but I didn't want Kate's life to go unnoticed.)

The week before Thanksgiving I was looking over the reservation cards when one caught my eye. It was for two weeks for and Angela Cuifo for "Kate's cabin". I asked Tara about it. "She checked out ok, Dad," was all Tara replied.

The last name seemed familiar, but I guess there were a lot of Cuifo's in the world and it slipped into the back of my mind, replaced by more pressing problems.

Monday of Thanksgiving week was interrupted by the arrival of a limo with a single female passenger. The driver opened the door for her. It was my first meeting with Ms Angela Cuifo.

And what a meeting it turned out to be.

Ms Cuifo looked at my lodge and sneered. That's right she actually appeared discussed with my dream business. Then she opened her mouth, "Well don't just stand there gawking, get my luggage and put it in my suite."

I was shocked by her attitude and replied, "We only have one suite and the owner sleeps there. So unless you want to sleep with the owner, we have a private cabin for you. This is a hunting and fishing lodge, not a resort."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.