The Case of the Missing Woman - Cover

The Case of the Missing Woman

Copyright© 2013 by Mendon Fishers

Chapter 12: The Job Proposition

Percy drove into town that afternoon. He really didn't have a reason for being there, but he knew that Tara and Judith were plotting something. Every time he walked into a room they were in, they stopped talking. That was a bad sign, but combined with the guilty expressions on their faces, he knew it involved him.

So going into town seemed a very important goal today.

Soon he found himself sitting in a local diner drinking coffee, bored out of his mind, when the town's Chief of Police joined him. "I'll bet he wants to know all about the barn killings, "Percy thought.

"Hi Perc, how's business?" was the first question out of the Chief's mouth.

"Good", Percy replied, "I'll bet you want to know all about the killings?"

"Nope. I just wanted to tell you that I've decided to retire."

That surprised Percy. "You're gonna what?"

"You heard me! Retire. I've been chief for thirty years, Perc and I want to move where it doesn't snow. My bones are starting to complain up here."

Percy recovered and started asking millions of questions, "Where are you going? When are you leaving? Can I help with your retirement party?" And finally, "Who's your replacement?"

"My replacement? That's a dumb question. You are. I talked it over with the town council and they accepted your application on a trial basis." He answered.

"What application? You set me up you old bastard," joked Percy.

"Your application was how you stopped the serial killer, and your record as a homicide detective," answered the Chief. "And besides, the lodge is running perfectly without you and you're bored."

Then the chief added, "My wife and I are moving in two weeks. So you'll be in charge then. Stop by the office and I'll walk you through the operation and make sure you're introduced to everyone."

After the Chief left Percy realized that Judith and Tara must have known all about the job offer. "That's what the whispering was all about," he thought.

That night when everyone in his family was finishing up their meals he smiled at Judith and Tara about their whispering. He stated, "You can't fool me. You guys knew I was being offered the Chief's job and trying to keep it a secret. Well I accepted today."

Everyone congratulated him. Judith looked very unhappy. Percy didn't like that look. It usually meant trouble.

The following Thursday evening, Judith took Percy for a walk around the property and down to the lake. She was very romantic. By the time they returned to the lodge Percy was ready to drag her up to their bedroom and have his way with her. But when they entered the lodge, the dining room had about 20 people sitting in it.

Judith dragged him over to his chair and promptly made him sit down while climbing onto his lap. Holding her in his arms, he started to listen to the speaker in the dining room. The speaker was just finishing the telling of his life story.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.