The Case of the Missing Woman
Chapter 10: Home Again

Copyright© 2013 by Mendon Fishers

"OK guys, honeymoon's over. Time to get out of here and go back to the lodge." said the doctor. And so began Percy's checkout routine. Judith packed their suitcases as Percy was visited by all the staff on the floor. The consensus of opinion was they were glad to see the two of them go, but they would be missed.

Todd and Tara were there to pick them up. After they started on their trip back to the Lodge, both were teasing about having a real surprise for them. Percy assumed the news was Jenny being pregnant again, He knew that she and Dean were trying because they could be heard all over the camp some nights. And he guessed that they succeeded.

Judith just turned and gave both kids a very stern look. When she had both of the kid's attention, she just winked. Both the kids relaxed and smiled.

That evening Judith had an extra place set for dinner. When Percy commented, Judith explained it was for their guest in the cabin overlooking the lake. The guest was the one who spotted the fire and called 911.

Percy knew better that to ask why so he just shut up.

At dinner time Todd arrived pushing a wheelchair with a body wrapped up in thick blankets, dark glasses, and a head scarf. Percy looked at her and suspected cancer. His heart went out to her. He wondered how much time she had left.

Percy walked over to her and said, "Thank you for saving my life." He reached over and took her hand and kissed it.

"Perc, I owe you so much, it's the least I could do, "she answered.

The voice and the fact she had called him "Perc" crashed into his memory like a runaway truck. "Hi Kate, I'm glad you're here. I see you've already met our kids again."

They talked and reminisced until Kate started showing signs of being too tired to continue. Todd and Tara took her back to the cabin to rest. Percy started in on Judith as soon as they were out of ear shot.

"Why Judith? She ran out on me and took the kids. She has no right back in my life."

"Percy, she's dying. Give her a break. She and the kids have bonded. Let her die in peace with her children at her side," was the answer he got.

"I found her dying as prisoner of the system. I'm the one that got her a compassionate release from her sentence", Judith continued. "She has been to the bottom and is on her way back. For five years in prison she attended AA meetings every evening. She only stopped because of her cancer. It's time you forgave her," Judith lectured.

"Percy, you are the man I love and want to spend my life with. I know you have the capacity in your heart to forgive her. Please give her a chance to die in peace with her family surrounding her. She deserves this." she concluded.

Percy thought a long time and finally said, "OK, but only because I love you so much."

Judith gave him "that" smile.

"Shit, "he thought, "I've been played, again"

About that time the kids returned. They were excited that their father had met their mother again and would let her live here.

Percy wasn't as excited.

The next morning as he was going over the reservations and bookings with Jenny, the phone rang. After he went through the usual "Happy Face" greeting a voice from the past greeted him.

"Detective Holmes, do you remember my voice? I do not wish to announce my name", said a very familiar voice. This voice was the head of the crime family that controlled most of New England. Percy was not his friend, but he had solved the murder of his wife by a rapist. The rapist was sentenced to life in prison based on his testimony. About two years later, the rapist died in a prison fight. He always wondered about the "fight", but figured an "eye for an eye" and ignored the killing.

When all the noise and fuss of the trial and killing, had died down, Percy got a phone call one night, from the same voice he was hearing now, it just said, "Thank you, I am in your debt."

"The State Police are making no progress in the shooting in your area. They seem to think it was organized crime related and trying to blame the crime on us, ' he stated.

"I have checked with all my associates and no one in their respective families is responsible. Of this I am certain," he continued.

"My people are making inquiries into areas your State Police are unable to gain access. I would like to funnel our findings to them through you. Is this acceptable?" He asked.

Percy hesitated. he did not want to be associated with these guys. While they were asking politely, they really weren't. But Percy did believe him about not being involved in the shootings. It just wasn't their style. They tried for "silent" killings, gaining little news coverage. This killing was a massacre, the execution of innocents. It was not their style.

Percy must have hesitated too long because the voice was again on the phone, "Ok, I was advised that you would not accept my help, so I will augment my offer. My Grandson is doing his residency at a hospital about 80 miles south of you. He is planning on becoming an oncologist. I understand that your ex-wife could use the services of one. May I arrange for a very good doctor to examine her, and then have my grandson help you with her treatments?"

"Shit this guy knows all my secrets." Percy realized.

The crime lord continued, "My grandson is not connected in any way with our family business. I promised my late wife that I would not allow certain members of my family into the business. He is one of those promises. I would like him to help you as part of that favor I owe you."

Percy responded with a little trepidation, "OK."

Three days later a helicopter landed in the side yard of the Lodge and a bunch of people exited. They introduced themselves as the "famous oncologist" and his staff. They were here to examine Percy's ex. Once they had all their equipment unloaded the crowd was off to Kate's cabin. Once there Percy was asked (very politly)to wait outside and was soon joined by Kate's nurse.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.