The Reluctant Sultan - Cover

The Reluctant Sultan

Copyright© 2013 by Coaster2

Chapter 4: Launching the Changes

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 4: Launching the Changes - Gabe Hancock was sent to Seattle by his brother to get the operation back to profitability or close it. He wasn't of a mind to give up, especially when four dynamic women gave him every reason to succeed.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Group Sex   Interracial  

I had been nervously anticipating my first encounter with the salesmen and I was pleasantly surprised. I had a feeling we could make something out of this group. I was venturing into my second week with more optimism than a few days ago. I'd been through this process before, but there was something different about Lynnwood that I hadn't yet recognized. It would come to me, I was sure, but it wasn't there yet.

Jim Stokes, or Jimmy as most knew him, was running around like a blue-assed fly. Every time I saw him he was on the move or hunched over someone's desk going through some program with them. I admired his energy and enthusiasm. Those were qualities that I was fairly sure were natural to him and contagious to others. That alone made him more valuable.

Sue was constantly around, filling me in on procedures and people. I knew how things were supposed to be done, but that wasn't always the way they were done. She was totally committed to getting us in line with standard branch operating procedures. If Lynnwood wasn't going to be my "final resting place," she would be a natural successor to Don.

It was Wednesday evening when I got a call from my father at the hotel.

"Hello, Gabe, how are you making out up there?" he asked in a chuckling voice. He must have known what kind of a challenge I had on my hands.

"Pretty good, Dad. I'm getting good cooperation from almost everyone so far. The only dark spot was having to terminate the sales manager."

"Speaking to Don, I expected that. That was his weakness ... an inability to deal with troublesome employees decisively. That and the fact that he wasn't really in tune with sales strategy."

"Well, I didn't wait around to confirm everyone's opinion," I said. "I dealt with him almost right away. I didn't hear any moans or groans about his leaving, so I'm assuming the people thought it was overdue."

"You asked Dave about Don. I talked to him over the weekend. He's very anxious for you to take over. I thought there was some kind of problem when he didn't remember that we were going to meet in San Francisco for a day before we came down here to Monterey. He was worried about where he'd park his motorhome until I reminded him he could use the office parking lot."

"Some of the people here have noticed he's not on top of everything," I relayed.

"I had your mother speak to Muriel and I got the story from their conversation, Gabe. Muriel is very worried that Don is showing early signs of Alzheimer's. She's almost frantic about getting him out of the office and on their way south. I don't want to interfere with your job, but if you can see your way clear to releasing him, I think that would ease Muriel's mind and give Don a shot in the arm as well."

"Alzheimer's! What a terrible thing to contemplate. My sympathies to Muriel. There's no problem letting Don go at any time. I've got the people resources here that can carry on. The question in my mind is, does Don know what's happening?"

"I don't know, Gabe. All you can do is play it by ear. I know you'll handle this sensitively, so do what you think is right. Make sure his leaving is on good terms. My understanding is that he's very well liked by the staff. We should acknowledge that in some meaningful way."

"Of course. I'll consult with a couple of the senior ladies here and then talk to Don. I'll do my best to make this go smoothly."

"That's all I ask, Son. He's a very old friend and a good man. I want what's best for him."

"I'll get going on it right away and keep you informed. Let me know what his special interests are. We'll get him a nice retirement gift and throw a party for him as well."

"That's great. I'll get back to you on the gift idea. In the meantime, good luck in Lynnwood. I'm betting you'll have a shining star branch up there in no time."

"That's the plan, Dad, that's the plan."

I hung up and smiled. It was always good to talk to my father, regardless of the reason. Whether it was good news or bad, he always kept a level head and offered good advice. Even though I was fifty, I listened to him and followed his lead. I admired my father and my brother. I was proud to be part of the family.

The next morning, I made some time with Sue to discuss Don's situation and what we should plan for. I was confident that between the two of us, we could take over the operation without interruption. Sue was making notes and was already thinking about any necessary changes. We would keep the information to ourselves until we could announce Don's retirement to the staff and customers.

My next duty was to discuss all this with Don Nichol. I hadn't had any experience at dealing with old family friends, so I was going to have to go by instinct, mindful of any sensitivities. I made an appointment to see him later that day in his office.

"Don, I was talking to Dad last night. I guess you and Muriel are planning to meet in San Francisco before you head for the Monterey Peninsula."

"So I'm told," he said with a quizzical look. "Muriel says we discussed it, but I don't remember. I seem to be forgetting a lot of things lately. Oh well, it will be good to see Ben and Rachel again. Muriel always reminds me of what to do and where to go," he laughed lightly.

"I'm not having any problem catching up to what's happening at the branch. I held a sales meeting on Monday and I liked what I saw for the most part. I think that giving them some new tools and products to work with will really help."

"That's good to hear, Gabe. I was worried about sales and I know Walter wasn't really making any progress there. I thought you were very generous with his severance. I hear by the grapevine that he didn't take it very well, however."

"That's true, but I'm not concerned. I'm sure when he has some time to look at the package and make a decision not driven by emotion, he'll be okay."

Don nodded. "So, what did you want to talk to me about?" he smiled. "I know it's more than just passing the time of day."

"Well, I won't beat around the bush with you or try to spin you a yarn. I was wondering if you'd like to start your retirement a little sooner than the end of the month?"

He laughed. "You want me out of here that soon?"

"No, I was thinking that you could get a head start and wouldn't have to worry about my constantly interrupting you with questions or issues."

"Come on, Gabe. I know what this is about. Muriel is worried about my health. I'm betting that conversation she had with Rachel is at the bottom of this."

I sat for a moment, realizing I wasn't going to lie to this man.

"Yes, that's exactly what it's about," I admitted.

"There, that wasn't so hard was it?" he grinned. "I've been aware of problems for the past year now, so I can understand Muriel and your father's concerns. It's pretty scary, I can tell you. I don't want it to happen, but my doctor doesn't know what to do either. When I'm in Arizona, I'll be seeing a specialist and maybe he can help. In the meantime, I'll go whenever you want me to. Just give me time to say goodbye to the good people I've worked with."

"Of course. We plan a party for you with all those good people and some of your old customer friends as well. Why don't you give me a list of who you'd like to see there and I'll get in touch with them."

"I can do that. Let me call them. It'll be more personal that way and I can let them know this is my idea, not someone else's. How does that sound?"

I smiled. "That's sounds very good, Don. Thanks for making this easier for me. The last thing I wanted you to think was that we were trying to get you out of here in a hurry."

"Hell, Gabe, I should have retired a year ago when I first realized I wasn't up to the job any more. I didn't do my company any favor by staying on."

"Don't think like that, Don. You're an icon in this business and well respected everywhere. What our family wants is for you to have a comfortable and pleasant retirement."

"I know that, Gabe. I've known your father and brother for many years. That's just what I would expect from you and them. I've been very lucky over these many years to work for your family."

I walked out of Don's office a few minutes later with a tear forming in the corner of my eye. He was a good man who had stayed a little too long in one place. I would hope that the doctor or doctors in Arizona could help him. I had no familiarity with Alzheimer's, but I know families who did and often it was a dispiriting and demoralizing experience. I hoped our family would be free of its curse.

I let Sue know of my conversation with Don and asked her to get a small committee together and organize the retirement party. I was sure she would do a good job on it. I walked back to Walter's old office and sat for a few moments, going over my conversation with Don. It was pretty painless, all things considered. Even so, I regretted it was necessary, not so much for the branch, but for Don and Muriel Nichol. I picked up the phone and called my father.


I spent the rest of the week detailing sales strategy and reviewing the customer lists. I wanted to get the group together again for a morning session. The feedback I got from a few of them was that Monday was probably the best day. A lot of their customers didn't have time for them on Monday mornings, so it wouldn't interfere with their normal routine.

Since there was no indication which category of customer their names fell into, I had to list them in order of size. Then I went to Jan and asked if she could help me separate them. She did and the process took all of fifteen minutes. She was completely on top of her job and our customers. The first big category was Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional. This needed to be broken down further. The food service industry was next, followed by the retail outlets, then finally, the internet purchases.

I was amazed that we actually had such a category until I discovered we were getting referrals from Portland, San Francisco, and Boise. Black Gold had a website, of course, but there was no direct Lynnwood connection for local customers. I caught up to the ever-moving Jimmy Stokes and asked him to get with Jaziz and make sure our page on the website was up-to-date and functioning. I had no worries that he would drag his feet on my request.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.