07 Home 2 - Cover

07 Home 2

Copyright© 2013 by Banzai Ben

Chapter 39

Present – Jens – In the equipment room

I watch with great interest and a huge sense of nostalgia as Ivan prepares the Recon Cookies. It reminds me not just of Ben, but of basic training in the National Guard and then the Marines. Wow, that part of my life seems a lifetime behind me, how the hell did I get so old so fast? I touch the corners of my eyes and realize I have the beginnings of the dreaded 'crow's feet'. Will Ben still love this 'old woman' when I finally meet him again?

Ivan's happily humming a Russian song as he takes 2 tablespoons of water, half the hot cocoa powder, half of the peanut butter, most of the coffee creamer and a whole packet of sugar. He mixes it all up very well, takes a little taste and declares, "This might be best Recon Cookie ever! Unca Ben would be proud of me." He puts everything between two crackers, brings it over to me and 'mother fucking hen' Maria cautions, "Jens just a little taste."

I take a taste, my stomach growls and I want to devour the whole damn cookie! It's so damn good. Damn, it's just like what Ben used to make and a huge wave of sadness washes over me as I compliment the chef, "Ivan, I am proud of you and I know Unca Ben would be very proud of you. I'm so glad you remembered to include the special ingredient."

He finishes eating the rest of our Recon Cookie while I look on longingly for more. Then he begins to make more for everyone else. He finishes the next one and gives one to Liz; makes one more and gives it to Bernie. For some strange reason he is giggling like crazy as he makes Maria's then hands it to her with a very mischievous look on his face.

Present – Liz – In the equipment room

Ivan makes a big production out of bringing me my 'Recon Cookie' on a little platter, I taste it and I'm incredibly impressed, "This is really good Ivan, thank you."

He makes the same production bringing Bernie's his treat. Bernie tastes it and adds, "Heck, I always threw away those parts of the MRE - I guess I now know what to do with them."

He has a mischievous look on his face and is giggling the whole time he makes one for Maria. He takes it to her, not on the platter, but on an old piece of foil. She takes one taste of it, spits it out and yells...

Present – Maria – In the equipment room

Everyone is talking about how their Recon Cookies are so good and even though Ivan is giggling like crazy as he makes mine, I'm really looking forward to a Recon Cookie. I want to see how close it is to the 'Ranger Cookies' we made in the army. I taste mine and what the hell! It tastes like shit - a combination of salt and tabasco. I spit it out and gripe, "This is terrible! What did you do to it?"

Ivan giggles as he answers, "Because you are lady who use many bad words, I use salt in place of sugar for your cookie and also add rest of tabasco. Too bad I not have nasty soap or I would use it. Then you would get mouth washed out like you deserve."

Everyone laughs! It's embarrassing as hell - damn I can't believe I was pranked by a toddler. I bet he learned it from his old fart father. I want to spank the hell out of him and make him stand in the corner for the rest of his life. I begin to do just that when Jens begins to cough and then screams, "Maria!!!"

For now, I stop my plans of punishment for the spoiled little brat and rush to my Princess Boss' side...

Present – Ben – On the way to the cabin

Hell, after being out of this altitude for what seems like several lifetimes, I am amazed I can still run up here. But it's taking a hell of a toll on me as I am sucking wind like crazy and can barely keep up an easy pace. My hands are shaking so badly if I had to fire a weapon I would surely miss. What a lousy admission for a sniper to have to make!

I look over at Destiny and I'm shocked because she doesn't seem to be having any problems. I bitch like hell, "What the hell are you, some sort of robot?"

She laughs and I swear the trees laugh with her (perhaps it just my oxygen deprived state). Then she gently instructs me, "Running is not just physical fitness - it is also mental fitness and control. If I chose, I could let my mind experience the same discomforts you are feeling now."

It can't be that fucking simple so I challenge, "Yeah, like hell it is! I bet your pack is lighter than mine."

Destiny laughs again, the trees once again seem to form a chorus with her and offers, "I will gladly switch packs with you."

Looking for any reason to stop and rest without losing face to this hippy chick, I agree, "You're on twisted sister." We stop, she takes off her pack and I help her on with mine. She adjust the straps for her smaller frame and laughs as she taunts, "This is much lighter than mine."

I wonder what the hell she's talking about until I pick her pack up and son of a bitch! It's heavier than hell. I vociferously complain, "What the hell do you have in here - rocks?"

She laughs and confirms for me, "Of course I do. I did it on purpose because I knew you would blame it on the packs and want to switch packs. Shall we stop and unload some of them."

How the fuck did she know this was going to happen? There's no way I'm going to be outdone by this hippy chick so I declare, "Hell no, the extra weight is just fine with me."

As we begin to run (at a pace even slower than before because of her damn rock filled pack) Destiny reminds me, "Do you remember the time when you easily won the Leadville Hundred Mile Race with Jennifer? What were you thinking about then?"

I think back, to my first meeting with Jens and...

Present – Maria – In the equipment room

My princess boss loses consciousness again so we all rush to her side. Liz looks at her, pulls back her eyelids and comes up with a crazy suggestion, "I think she's connected to Ben again."

I get ready to call this as more bullshit when the little brat Ivan surprises us by saying, "Yes, Donalduckson lady and Unca Ben share thoughts of good times."

We all give Ivan a flabbergasted look and Liz questions, "Ivan, how do you know this fact?"

He smiles at us and explains with the innocence of childhood, "I feel it also and too."

Present – Jens – In the equipment room

Mmmm this is so nice and it finally happens again after such a long drought. I connect with Ben again. OMG he's remembering when we first met and ran the Leadville 100 together. Yeah, the very successful start of my mission to capture Ben's heart ... Wait, he's running with someone ... No something ... OMG it's a wolf running beside him!!!

The connection is so nice and reassuring. Hell, it seems like it's been a lifetime since we connected but then the connection is suddenly gone.

I wake up and smile at Liz and Maria...

Present – Ben – On the way to the cabin

What I see and feel when I connect again to Jens forces me to pause. Destiny stops and questions, "Ben, what did you see and why did you stop?"

I glare at her and demand, "I thought you already knew every fucking thing!" After a short pause to gather my wits I explain, "Jens has been seriously wounded and it pisses me off."

Destiny gives me an annoyed look but probes, "When you were connected to her how did you feel?"

I think for a moment and admit, "I felt Jens..." Then I look down, fight back the tears and continue, " ... and the love that she still has for me." I quickly add, "A love that I can never satisfy because I can never give her the children she wants and deserves."

Destiny smiles at me and agrees but adds another question, "That is only partially true. Yes, you felt her but what is more important is what you didn't feel: You didn't feel yourself running. Now how did she feel?"

I shrug my shoulders and try to lie, "Shit, she's a woman! How the hell am I supposed to know how any woman feels?"

Destiny stamps her foot (which reminds me the hell of Jens) and threatens, "I should kick your ass! Are you telling me you are so fucking dense and dumb you couldn't feel the warmth and love you gave her by being connected to her?"

I ignore the threat and give my version of the facts, "Hell, she doesn't need me. I can't give her the babies she wants."

Destiny begins to jump around, kick the shit out of rocks, sticks and pinecones then swears, "You are one hard headed son of a bitch and one of these days I am going to kick your ass so hard you won't be able to sit down for a week! Jennifer needs you more now than ever and we need to get to the cabin sooner than later. Now I'm going to run my fastest and the only way you will keep up with me is if you connect to her."

I again doubt her word and taunt, "Like you could run faster than me."

Destiny looks over her shoulder, takes off like her ass is on fire and yells, "Then try to keep up with me without being connected to her."

I swear, "You bitch! When I catch you I'm going to kick your ass because you've been holding back."

I try to catch her but even at my fastest pace she's pulling ahead and then she yells, "You can't keep up with me unless you are connected to her."

I hate to do it but I decide to give it a try. I begin to think again about the Leadville 100 and the next thing I know...

Present – Jens – In the equipment room

I am sooo happy and content as I tell Maria and Liz, "Ben has some help coming with him."

Liz gives me her normal quizzical look and asks, "Who's he bringing?"

Maria raises one eyebrow in obvious doubt but adds, "I hope it's a fucking army."

I try to explain to them but do an inadequate job, "It's sort of like a wolf but also like a lady. A lady combined with one of the most beautiful wolves I have ever seen."

Now Liz gives me the same crazy look that Maria did and then...

Present – Liz – In the equipment room

Jens's eyes roll back, she becomes unconscious again and I can only assume Jens has re-connected to Ben because she's smiling and looks more content than I have seen her in months.

I get a crazy idea, look at Maria and ask, "Maria, can the morphine you're giving Jens cause the hallucination about the wolf?"

Maria scratches her head, thinks for a few moments and answers, "Well, I suppose it could but a hallucination about a wolf? I would think something else would have to trigger that."

Bernie adds some speculation, "Perhaps it's some sort of primal response since Jens is the alpha female in the group."

We are still baffled by the whole wolf that looks sort of like a lady when Ivan shocks us as he says...

Present – Ben – At the cabin

I automatically sense possible danger, stop and realize we're at the defense perimeter of the cabin. Then I wonder how the hell we got here so fast since I'm not even tired.

Destiny annoyingly questions, "Ben, why did we stop?"

I glance to the left, then to the right. I can still sense the perimeter warning system in both directions and answer, "Jens added a perimeter security system to the cabin. If we cross this threshold we could trigger it. If the greenies have discovered the system and have tied into it then they will immediately know our location."

She appears to go into a short trance then states, "Ben, they haven't discovered it, let alone connected into it."

I'm not sure about her abilities so I respond, "Well, if you're wrong this is going to be a very short rescue."

I hold my breath as we step across the boundary then I give I silent prayer of thanks that Destiny's 'feeling' is right. She asks, "What's next?"

I reply, "The same as any mission: First reconnaissance, then we need to recover some additional supplies."

We slowly and carefully work our way toward the cabin, find the perfect place on the hill behind the cabin to reconnoiter the AO and drop down to the ground. There's enough moonlight that I can scan the area with my monocular and comment, "This is unusual, it looks like most of the troops have dug foxholes and are facing one main tent. However, I do see a few that are tending to other duties."

Destiny takes another moment. As I look at her she appears to be in another trance then explains, "That's because all the retired Marines who came to help Jennifer are being held prisoner in the tent, including Jack and his wife Masha."

I swear, "That fucking SOB Mike! Locking up my friends just to get to me! I'm going to kill his ass!" I continue to scan, move the monocular to the left and see some equipment working at what used to be the garage and wonder aloud, "What the hell happened to the garage?"

Destiny sadly answers, "Ben, I didn't want to give you this bad news, but the terrorists destroyed it."

It takes all I can do to keep from going ballistic as I swear, "Damn! My truck and my Cobra were in there."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.