Can't Buy You Love - Cover

Can't Buy You Love

Copyright© 2013 by Dak0ta52

Chapter 13

“Come in,” I told her, motioning towards the door.

She walked in and I followed carrying Sarita. When we were inside Rosalia strolled around the room looking.

“You haven’t changed anything,” she said.

“No,” I simply said.

She walked to the mantle where the picture of us together at Christmas sat in a frame. She picked it up and turned to me.

“This was the happiest time of my life,” she said.

“Mine too,” I choked.

She looked at it for a moment and then placed it back, picking up the small box next to the picture. She opened the box and saw the diamond engagement ring I had planned to give her on Valentine’s Day so many years ago. Tears started flowing down her cheeks as she sank to her knees.

“Oh Jake,” she cried. “I wanted my life to be with you. I always guessed it was God’s way of testing me to see if my love for you was true. I wanted to come back, and I tried, but with Sarita it was impossible.”

“I’ve waited for you too, Rosalia,” tears now flowing down my cheeks. “Angel tried to set me up, and I even dated a couple times, but no one compared to you. It was you I wanted. It was you I’ve waited for.”

She looked at me as I took her hand and pulled her to her feet.

“Rosalia, I have to do this, either for closure, or to answer my dreams.” I took the box from her hands and held it, presenting the ring to her. “Rosalia, will you make me the happiest man in the world and be my wife.”

She smiled, tears starting again and nodded. “Yes. Yes, I’ll marry you.”

I slipped the ring onto her finger and she threw her arms around my neck. “I love you,” she said.

“I love you too, baby. I’ve always loved you.”

She pulled back and looked at my beard. “Rough,” she said, rubbing it with her hand. “I’ve kept myself bare for you. Since that time ... you know,” she smiled.

“I remember,” I smiled.

We sat and talked, catching up on the years we had been apart. She had given birth while living with her aunt and uncle. When she could go to work, Rosalia sold vegetables in the market while her aunt watched Sarita.

She applied for a work visa to come to America but was denied. She thought of crossing the border again but the risk of doing so with a child was too great. As years passed, border patrols grew stronger and the option of sneaking across the border vanished.

A man from America married and moved in with her neighbor. As Rosalia became friends with the couple, he taught her English. When she told them the story of going to America and meeting Jake, the man helped her obtain a work visa which, this time, was approved. She had received the visa less than a week ago.

“When I came up, I thought you wouldn’t remember me. Or remember me only as a teenage fling,” she said. “The least I wanted to do was introduce you to your daughter. But deep down, I hoped you would want me back.”

“When I saw you standing there, I wanted to go throw my arms around you,” I answered, “but I was sure by now you, as beautiful as you are, would have found somebody else. I thought the man in the truck, your uncle, was your husband.”

She laughed.

“What do we do now,” she said. “I don’t want to be taken away from you again.”

I pulled out my cell phone, punched in a few numbers.

“Rick, this is Jake. How’s it going now that you’re a big wig,” I said into the phone.

Rick had worked his way through the ranks and was now a captain over the region.

“Jake! Good to hear your voice. As for the job, I hate sitting behind a desk.”

“I’m sure you’ll find a way to get out of the office,” I said. “Anyway, I’m seeking advice. There’s this young lady who is here on a work visa. She and this American guy have fallen in love and want to marry. Can they do this legally without fear of her being snatched away and returned to Mexico?

“Wait a minute,” Rick said. “Is this about a girl I picked up from your place about ten years ago? Listen Jake, I’m sorry about that. I didn’t realize you were involved with her until you’d called and asked what we did with her after picking her up. I came around a couple months later after McAlister’s had opened and spoke to Angel. She told me all about it. I thought Todd was being straight up with me when he called and said someone was hanging around your place. If I’d had known, I’d have stayed away.”

“That’s in the past, Rick,” I told him. “You were only doing your job. I hold no grudge against you. The important thing is I’ve found her. We want to get married.”

“Well, in that case,” he began, “if she is here on a work visa, she needs to be gainfully employed. I’ve got a few forms that need to be signed by you two and the minister when you get married. After that, she’s as free to stay here as you and I.”

“What about our child,” I asked.

“Any children you have will be considered US Citizens,” he said.

“This one was born after she was taken back to Mexico,” I said. “She was pregnant with our child when you picked her up.”

“Damn, damn, damn,” he exclaimed. “That Todd was a bastard.”

“In his defense, he didn’t know about the baby,” I said. “Mind you, I would never defend him. Truth is I didn’t know she was pregnant either.”

“Because the baby was born in Mexico, he or she will have Mexican citizenship. As long you two are legally married, the baby has a right to stay.

“She,” I said, reaching over to stroke Sarita’s hair. “And she’s a princess.”

“When is the wedding,” Rick asked. “I want to be there.”

“We haven’t set a date, but soon,” I told him. “I’m not going to let her get away again. Don’t worry, you’ll get invitation.”

We said our goodbyes and hung up.

“Can you take a ride with me or is there something you have to do,” I asked Rosalia.

“Jake, I am yours,” she smiled. “My time is your time. The only thing I have to do is tell Uncle Luis you waited for me.”

“There’s something I need to do first,” I told her. “Wait here.”

I went to my bathroom and a few minutes later came out freshly shaven. She looked at me and smiled.

“There’s my Jake,” she said.

I grabbed my keys and hat and held the door for her. I smiled when she grabbed the black hat that had hung on the hat rack since she’d been gone. She placed the hat on her head and we were off.

“Angel,” I said, sticking my head in her office door. “I’ve got someone that needs a job.

“Jake, we just don’t have any openings,” she said before looking up and seeing me holding Sarita. “My God, you shaved. And don’t you think she’s a little young to put to work?”

“Oh, the job’s not for her,” I said, stepping out of the way so she could see Rosalia. “It’s for her.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.