Can't Buy You Love - Cover

Can't Buy You Love

Copyright© 2013 by Dak0ta52

Chapter 9

As we ate Angel told us what she had learned from Rosalia. Her parents were killed when she was just a baby and she was raised by her uncle. She has an older brother who had crossed over into America about three years ago. He was living somewhere in Alabama but she didn’t know where. He would send money to her uncle but the money had stopped coming about a year ago.

When she turned sixteen, Rosalia told her uncle she wanted to go to America to make a better life for herself. Her uncle was poor and didn’t have the money to send her there legally, so he contacted a friend of a friend that smuggled Mexicans across the border.

Her uncle took her to the man and gave him some money. The man took her to a barn where there was a bunch of other people and when night time came, they were put into a large truck. She had said she didn’t know where the truck was going but the road was very rough. When they stopped, the man pointed towards the river and told them to cross over into America.

Rosalia followed the others across the river and when they had walked about half an hour, vehicles with flashing lights and sirens came at them from all around. Everyone ran in different directions and Rosalia fled down a hill where she found a small cave. The cave was shallow but hid her from the lights that searched for those who ran.

Rosalia stayed hidden long after the lights had stopped. When the sun started to come up, she began walking. She had walked all day and was tired and thirsty. She could smell something cooking and followed the smell until she saw a big house. There was smoke coming from a small building next to the house and she went in to see if she could find something to eat.

She was about to take some of the meet from the roast when she heard the door to the house open and someone walking towards the small building. She tried to hide and that was when Jake came in.

“What should we do,” I asked Angel.

“It’s up to her,” she said. “She could try going to Alabama to find her brother, but I’m not sure if she would have any luck. Since the money stopped coming about a year ago, he could have moved on or he could even be dead.

“She could try staying around here but would have to lay low for a while. The border patrol is alert right now for new faces in the area.

“It was mighty gutsy for her to cross over without arranging for someone to meet her on this side. That would be like crossing into Mexico with the clothes on your back and expecting to make a go of things. Yes, gutsy indeed.”

“If she wants to try to find her brother, I’ll help her,” I said. “I’m not going to send her off with nothing. I mean, I’ll give her money, maybe even take her to Alabama if that’s what she wants.”

Angel said something to Rosalia in Spanish. Rosalia responded in kind.

“She doesn’t want to do that,” Angel said. “She has no idea where he might be or even if he is there anymore. She would like to stay here, at least until things settle down.”

“She is welcome to stay with me,” I said. “I’ve got that big house all to myself, but she may feel more comfortable staying with you. You know, with girls being here and all.”

Angel again spoke to Rosalia in Spanish. Rosalia’s only response was to look at me and say, “Jake.”

“I don’t know what you’ve done,” Angel said, “but apparently you made an impression on her. She said she wants to stay with you.”

I felt the heat rise into my chest and face. I was happy she wanted to stay with me. She was beautiful and regardless of the language barrier, I liked being around her.

The smoked roast was a hit as well as the rest of the meal. Everyone ate their fill and continued to pick and nibble as the conversation became much lighter. We talked about the store and the restaurant. Bill was doing a few private butchering jobs in his shed but looked forward to getting back into a regular butcher shop.

Will and April were doing well in school. Will, now fifteen, would start driver’s education next summer and he was looking forward to getting his driver’s license. April was the little miss mascot at the local high school.

I was keeping Angel busy with my various business ventures as well as following the construction of the store.

“I didn’t even think about Slim and Todd,” Angel said. “We should have invited them.”

“Slim is visiting his lady friend,” I said. “Who knows about Todd? I believe he headed across the border. I talked to Albert down on the south ranch and his two daughters and their families were coming to spend Thanksgiving with him.”

Will, being the last to finish his meal, pushed his plate away and gave a loud burp.

“William Herring! What do you say,” exclaimed Angel?

“Man, was that good,” he said, rubbing his swollen belly.

“Jesus,” Angel said, rising to carry her plate to the kitchen. “I believe you were right, Bill. They are obnoxious.” When she had disappeared in the kitchen, she called out, “Who’s ready for desert?”

Instantly there were four groans from the table.

Desert was postponed to let the food settle. Bill and I returned to the den where he turned on the television to the start of a football game.

The girls began putting food away and clearing the table. Will had migrated to his room saying he had an important phone call to make. Bill told me the important phone call was to his new girlfriend.

A short time later Rosalia came out and sat beside me on the sofa. She automatically took my hand and held it in her lap.

Angel followed behind Rosalia who sat in a recliner next to Bill.

A commercial came on television mentioning a sale for Black Friday. Angel made the comment that she should check it out when she went shopping tomorrow.

“Angel. If you’re going shopping tomorrow, could I give you money to pick up some things for Rosalia,” I said.

Rosalia looked at me with the mention of her name.

“Why doesn’t she go with me,” Angel said. “I’m going to San Antonio. With all the Mexican’s that will be there, no one will know the difference.”

“Are you sure,” I asked. “I mean, I’d be worried...”

“Don’t be,” Angel said. “April is going with me. It can be a girl’s day out.”

“I guess,” I said, still unsure.

Angel told Rosalia what we had said. Rosalia looked back at me and I pointed to her blouse and pants.

“You need more clothes,” I told her. “Those and the t-shirt and boxers I gave you to sleep in last night are all you have.”

Angel repeated what I had said so she would understand.

“No tengo dinero,” Rosalia said.

I looked at Angel.

“She said she has no money,” Angel repeated with a smile.

I pulled out my wallet and counted out ten one hundred dollar bills. I folded the money and pushed it into Rosalia’s pants pocket.

“Si dinero,” I told her.

She smiled and looked back at Angel.

“You sure know the way to a girl’s heart,” Angel said. “Sending them shopping with plenty of money.”

“Just make sure she gets everything she needs,” I told her. “I would have no idea if it was left up to me. If that’s not enough money, I’ll cover anything you loan her.”

We watched the first half of the football game and enjoyed desert during halftime. We sat there feeling stuffed, again, during the second half of the game.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.