Dulcie's Devastation - Cover

Dulcie's Devastation

Copyright© 2013 by Tedbiker

Chapter 5

That autumn, two events affect the progress of Dulcie's story.

Dennis Perkins discussed his situation with his superior, who agreed that he would be allowed to cut back his hours at the Chelmsford office should that be necessary. He, among three others, was interviewed for the position of Parish Administrator. He was duly appointed and it was agreed that his hours would be flexible, but usually one to two hours a day, and that he would be contactable by phone. Similarly, the Chelmsford office was functioning smoothly, and his working thirty hours a week but, again, being available by phone when not in the office, presented no problem. His relationship with Dulcie continued to be warm and friendly, but both kept it largely professional. He found he was spending more time with Emma Pearson, who had taken over the position of Treasurer, than with Dulcie and was regularly found enjoying lunch or tea (as in early evening meal – supper, if you prefer) at the Rectory at Emma's invitation. Discussions about the functioning of the church were wide-ranging and innovative – Dulcie was pleased, especially when other members of the Church Council, then some of the congregation who had shown interest, became involved. By the time Advent arrived (the period including the four Sundays leading up to Christmas) there was a regular evening meeting which was as much prayer and Bible study as strategy discussion.

The other significant event involved Richard Chesterman. One of the A and E consultants retired, and Richard applied for the post. He was most gratified and a little surprised to be offered the position; not because he had any doubts as to his ability, but because the hospital tended to appoint from outside rather than internally. Still, while it didn't have much impact on the hours he worked, it did somewhat regularise them. He was working mainly 'business hours' and sharing 'on call' with colleagues. It meant that he was more likely to be in church on a Sunday than previously, and became a familiar face at the St, Mary's Sunday services. He was, to say the least, perplexed at some of the practices, so alien to a life-long non-conformist, but was constantly drawn back by the sense of ... what? Reality, perhaps. Something that had been lacking in his previous experience, anyway. In time, he began to appreciate the visual aspects of the robes and vestments and the symbolic movements, even the scent of the incense.

Dulcie, who had never been good about making time for herself – it was Peter who often ordered her to take a day off, or who took her out – none-the-less was punctilious about making time for her ante-natal care. Whenever possible, Liina or Emma accompanied her. Of course, the former still had school during the day, but outside of school hours insisted she wanted to be there for the woman who had taken her in. Emma had to juggle her studies and her commitments to the church, but usually managed to be available when Liina was not.

Dulcie's pregnancy progressed normally and she determinedly avoided knowing the sex of the child she was carrying. Most of the time she carried herself with a calm serenity that was an inspiration to those around her, but occasionally she would be swept by an overwhelming grief – usually at night, and only when she was alone or with Liina or Emma. The girls became accustomed to spotting the signs of an impending episode and were always close enough to hold her close until she had cried herself out.

As Christmas drew near, Dulcie asked Harry and Lydia if they could come down. She was determined to continue her ministry as long as she could, but wanted their company and the assurance that the church would not be left without a priest should she go into labour.

Advent is a 'penitential season', like Lent; the idea is that believers contemplate and pray in preparation for Christmas. The emphasis is on looking forward both to the celebration of the incarnation, Jesus' first coming, but also on the future and Jesus' second coming. Churches which bother with such things use purple vestments and cloths, except on the third Sunday in Advent, which is called 'Gaudate' or 'Rejoice' Sunday, after one of the traditional lessons for the day, which begins, 'Rejoice, and again I say, rejoice!' In some churches the purple is replaced by a colour called 'rose', a subtle, pale, red.

Richard Chesterman sat in the congregation; as usual, a little puzzled by the differently coloured robes and the woman who was wearing them. He had begun to know, a little, the woman. She was attractive, yes, though not startlingly beautiful. Heart-shaped face, even, well-balanced features, brown eyes, all framed by a helmet of glossy chestnut hair. Shapely ... setting aside the pregnancy, which Richard, like many men, found made her more desirable, not less. None of it would set her apart, particularly, though. No. What made her special was character. She was warmly compassionate, thoughtful and sensitive to other's feelings and needs. Not that she was a 'soft touch'. He had seen her deal firmly – gently, but definitely – with an alcoholic begging for a handout. The alcoholic had not appreciated her attitude, but Richard, who had paused, discreetly, a short distance away in case of violence, approved whole-heartedly of her approach. But something that puzzled, even bothered, him was the way she changed when she was functioning as a 'minister', particularly in church. He couldn't put it into words. She was... more ... somehow. Not exactly bigger, not dominating or dictatorial. It was ... like the people who listened to Jesus and said, 'He speaks with authority, and not like the scribes.' She spoke and acted ... with authority. And everyone accepted it. The authority wasn't put on, or assumed because of her position ... it just... was. And it 'was' something bigger and beyond Dulcie, the rather lovely and loveable young woman. Richard, the skilled, analytical, doctor ... thought and pondered the conundrum that occupied his attention when not at work.

It's necessary to know something about Richard Chesterman at this point. His upbringing instilled in him a moral structure that could have made him puritanical. He was honest and honourable to a fault; hard working – indeed, almost driven. Teetotal and abstemious. (The use of wine – alcoholic wine – at the Communion service initially caused him some heart-searching when he first attended services at St. Mary's). He had been far too focussed in school and University to spend much time on anything else. He disappointed a number of young women when dates never developed beyond a chaste kiss at the end of the evening, because he was looking for someone special, someone who would make his heart beat faster and share his belief structure. He believed the proper place for sex was within marriage, so at nearly forty years old he was still a virgin. Having said all that, he took seriously the Biblical injunction that he was not to judge others.

Thus, at the end of the service, he hung back until he was the last of the congregation to speak to Dulcie, who was sitting near the door.

"Hello, Richard. I'm so pleased to see you again. Have we won you away from the Methodists?" She smiled to show it was a joke rather than a jibe.

"Well, yes and no, Dulcie. I was wondering..." he paused, trying to form the right words for what he wanted to say. Dulcie's face bore her 'receptive' expression. 'Go on, you know I won't judge or be offended.' Then he went on, "I have some questions, but some of them are of a personal nature..." he paused again, "that didn't come out right." He took a deep breath. "Dulcie, would you let me buy you dinner one evening?"

She reached out and placed a hand on his arm, smiling warmly. "That's a lovely idea, Richard, but..." his face fell and she giggled a little... "I'm not turning you down, it's just that I'm at that stage of pregnancy where I'm more comfortable at home. I've been meaning to invite you to a meal at the Rectory anyway..."

"You have?"

"I have. Please come. Emma and Liina are becoming quite good cooks. We can eat separately, or with the others. Either way, we can chat in private afterwards and I'll have comfortable chairs and a nearby toilet ... the sort of things a very pregnant woman likes to have available..."

He didn't respond immediately.

Dulcie leaned forward a little – it was difficult to lean much – and squeezed his arm reassuringly. "I'm sorry if ... well, I don't want to offend you. It's just..."

He broke in. "I understand, really. And if I'm not imposing..."

"You are not imposing. If I haven't misinterpreted your offer, perhaps I could take a rain-check? For the New Year?"

"Absolutely. Any evening better for you?"

"Any. I think I can be more flexible than you just now."


Emma and Liina surpassed themselves. They eschewed their usual casseroles, stews and pies which they could prepare in advance and pop in the oven in favour of making fresh pasta from scratch with a sauce the recipe for which Emma had inveigled out of the chef at a nearby Italian restaurant. She refused to say what was in it and Liina merely said "We promised not to tell." They hadn't made the Tiramisu, but it had come from the same source as the recipe.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.