Dulcie's Devastation
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2013 by Tedbiker

The summons came for Dulcie to see the Bishop just two weeks after Dennis returned to London. She went with some trepidation, visiting old Edith Spurgeon in hospital before her appointment. She was surprised, and a little worried, to see the Archdeacon, who shook her hand, and the Area Dean, who gave her a hug, there as well.

"Come in, Dulcie, and take a seat ... coffee? Tea?"

"Thank you, Bishop – coffee would be welcome."

He checked her preferences for the beverage and once she was settled with a cup ... bone china, and with a saucer ... he began. "We've all expressed our sorrow, Dulcie, but I'll say it again. Peter is a great loss to us personally, to the Diocese and the Church, and we don't like to think about what it means to you."

She met his eyes, seeing the sincerity there and in the eyes of his colleagues.

"Now, we need to settle some matters. Firstly, we've arranged for you to be paid as a Priest-in-charge, so you don't need to have any financial worries for the time being. That's back-dated. We've got several options open to us for the future. The first question I have for you is ... how do you feel about remaining at St. Mary's?"

"I've been thinking about that. If I could, I think I'd like that. Everyone has been so supportive."

"Alright, then. One option is for us to give you a Diocesan appointment, leaving you still as NSM there. You'll need somewhere to live anyway, so we'd probably leave you there and purchase another house as Rectory for the new Incumbent..."

She nodded in understanding and some relief.

"Another option which may surprise you, is that the PCC has asked that you be offered the Living. I am comfortable with that, as are my colleagues. The Patron ... well..."

"Is not so keen..." Dulcie supplied.

"That's one way to put it," the Archdeacon agreed, "particularly if you're given to understatement."

"However, Arthur Glover is working on him..." the Bishop added.

"May I think about this?" Dulcie asked, quietly. "I hadn't really thought about the future. I never really thought of having a Curacy of my own."

"Certainly, Dulcie. You may want to talk to the Church Council yourself."

"That's one thing I was thinking of," she said.


Perhaps a few words of explanation are in order. If you don't need them, then skip the paragraph. An ordained minister or 'priest' in the Church of England is appointed to the pastoral care of a parish or parishes, the 'Cure of Souls' in a particular area – hence 'Curate'. Just to confuse matters, a minister's assistant is also known as a 'curate'. If it is an old endowment, like St. Mary the Virgin, Maldon, he is 'Rector'. In the past a Rector sometimes paid someone to do his job for him, a 'Vicar' – the word is derived from a Latin word meaning 'substitute'. The term Vicar, however, is generally applied to the minister in many more recently established parishes. A Rector or Vicar is said to possess the 'Living' of the Parish, as historically he was entitled to the income from tithes and endowments. Sometimes for legal reasons, instead of appointing a Vicar to the Living, a minister is appointed as 'Priest-in-charge'. In fact, most of the foregoing is really only of historical interest, though the terms are still applied.

Incidentally, the term 'Priest', used in the Catholic tradition, is actually a corruption of the Greek 'presbuteros', or 'elder', and should not have any implication of 'Priesthood' in the ancient sense of someone representing God to humanity and vice versa. Unfortunately, the meaning has crept in and is one of the reasons for the resistance to women in ministry.


Dulcie returned to Maldon and made some phone calls, as a result of which the Parochial Church Council met for an extra session, chaired by Andy, a Reader. Normally, of course, the Incumbent, be he (or sometimes she) Rector, Vicar, or Priest-in-charge, is a member of the Church Council. An additional minister, NSM or Reader, is not automatically a member. Andy and Dulcie had been co-opted, and on this occasion, Dulcie attended only to speak and then to leave the meeting to continue their deliberations.

"I was moved ... deeply moved, in fact, when the Bishop told me you had asked for me to be your Rector. I would love to stay on, at a personal level, for the people of this church and Parish have become friends. The acceptance of myself and my ministry has been ... well ... heart-warming. I think you will understand when I say I haven't quite worked through my understanding of what God wants of me, now Peter has... " She paused and swallowed hard, "as our friends in the Salvation Army put it, been 'promoted to glory.' But first and foremost, I want you all to consider that it is one thing to have a woman as priest, even to stand at the altar, but perhaps it is something else, something more, to have one as your pastor, your Rector, with a position and authority I do not now possess. There would have to be a unanimous decision, preferably involving the whole congregation and definitely involving the Patron, to appoint me, and I would myself have to be sure that that is what God is calling me to. Additionally, I would feel I needed some help in order that I could continue my pastoral care. I don't know that a Curate could be justified, but in fact a part time administrator would be of more assistance. This is where I stand just now, and I'd like to leave you to think about the matter. It is not urgent, as the status quo can remain for months if necessary, but a speedier arrangement is probably desirable. Thank you."

She was about to leave, but Arthur Glover stood. "Dulcie, before you go ... I know I speak for everyone here when I say we had no hesitation in requesting that you be offered the Living. I, personally, have the highest respect for you as a person and as a priest and I believe that sentiment is shared by all of us..." (mutters at various volumes of 'hear hear', 'amen' and similar filled the room, ) "but I respect your caution in moving ahead. We will, of course, be discussing the matter with the Patron. In the meantime, we're very happy that you continue to lead us."


The life of the church continued. Dulcie was not aware that, several weeks in a row, one of the congregation was, in fact, the Patron, whom she had never met and, in fact, didn't even know his name. When an elderly, erect, soldierly gentleman knelt at the rail after the service, asking for prayer, the name 'Percival Myers-Smith' had no significance for her so she just prayed as she would for anyone, unworried that he was unable to specify his concerns. It was only later, over coffee, that he introduced himself formally. Dulcie didn't notice Arthur (and one or two other Church Council members who were in the know) hovering just in earshot.

"Reverend Hanson..."

"Dulcie, please."

"Dulcie then. I am Brigadier Percival Myers-Smith, though if you're Dulcie I think I could accept your calling me Percival, or even 'Percy', if you will..."

Dulcie's smile was almost her usual one that hadn't been seen since Peter's death. "If you're quite sure? I'm honoured."

"You don't know who I am, do you?"

Dulcie shook her head. "Should I?"

"Well, perhaps not ... except that my family have had the gift of the Living of St. Mary's for ... quite a few generations."

"Ah..."

He smiled – it was more of a grin. "You'll understand, I think, that with my background I have had reservations about the admission of women to the ordained ministry..."

"Oh..."

He became very serious. "I can't tell you how much I regret your husband's death, Dulcie. But this morning, after you prayed for me ... after that service ... whatever reservations I may still have on the subject, I have none whatsoever about your calling. After all, if God has anointed you, and after this morning I have no doubt of that, it behoves me to accept the fact. I truly hope you accept the Living, Dulcie."


The induction and installation of a new incumbent, whether Rector or Vicar, is, at least locally, a big deal. Local dignitaries, clergy and officers from nearby churches whatever denomination, leaders of other religious communities, friends and families ... all pack the church to witness the Bishop (sometimes the Archdeacon) complete the necessary ceremony, then to consume quantities of finger food and drinks ... both alcoholic and otherwise.

Among the congregation was a tall man, hair beginning to silver ... a doctor representing the hospital where Peter had died. Doctor Richard Chesterman, the Senior Registrar in Accident and Emergency, who had exerted every ounce of his considerable skill as well as his personal faith in prayer to try to save Peter's life. He watched Dulcie, admiring her serenity, but also certain he could still detect her sorrow. Too many people wanted Dulcie's attention, but she spotted him and made a point of speaking to him, to thank him for coming, "And," she added, "for your sympathy and comfort when you gave me that lift home."

"When is the baby due?" Dulcie's pregnancy was quite noticeable.

"Oh, we think about the New Year. Perhaps a Christmas present." Dulcie's voice was wistful.

"I wish you well ... both of you," the doctor said.

"Thank you, Richard."


A couple of weeks later, Richard Chesterman was, for once, sitting through an indifferent sermon during the usual Sunday service in his local Methodist chapel. He didn't get there as often as he'd have preferred due to the pressures of his job. Most weeks he managed to get to at least one of the meetings, but not usually a Sunday one. As the sermon was not holding his attention, he was thinking about Dulcie Hanson. The Induction he'd attended was unlike the services he usually experienced. Of course, it wasn't a usual service. But the atmosphere was ... special ... somehow, and the devotion Dulcie inspired in her congregation and friends was obvious. Then, of course, there was Dulcie herself...

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.