A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series - Cover

A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 81

At noon the next day, the crew was assembled with David on the foredeck. Coins were flipped and rock, paper, scissors was played until the six sextants all had students. Shooting the sun at noon is simple ... it's the math that gets you. Bowditches' Tables helped, but at least one student discovered that they were at the source of the Amazon ... everybody else was close to their actual position.

As soon as the intrepid Amazonian explorer discovered that decimal point placement could have a boat in a stream instead of an ocean ... they, too, got it right. (the 'they' is on purpose ... not wanting to be called sexist.)

Their location, 6° 51′ 36″ N, 152° 21′ 52″ W, was 500 miles east northeast of Fanning island (3° 51′ 36″ N, 159° 21′ 52″ W) ... nearly due south of the Big Island of Hawaii. Hawaii varies from 16° 55' N to 23° N and 154° 40' W to 162° W. They had been blown nearly 300 miles off course but they were considerably farther north than plain sailing would have had them. From their position they had been on the western edge of the hurricane.

Now that they knew where they were it was back to the old grind ... watch on ... watch off ... watch the compass ... check the sails for tears. If the seam was more convenient to sew on the hand crank Singer a sail change was made.

It was impossible to repair the anemometer. Even if they had had cups, the drive cable had welded itself to the outside shield. The entire weather station would have to be replaced. That had to wait for Hawaii.

David headed for the basement to brew more beer. Andrea headed to the garage to work on car parts. Since both basement and garage were in the engine room, the two of them were together more than not. After a week, early one morning, Nyoman cornered Andrea.

"The ladders and passageway decks between the engine room and the master stateroom are getting worn. Heavy traffic?"

"Umh ... I guess ... why?" asked Andy.

"The girls have noticed David doesn't use his quarters much ... his sheets are never mussed up."

"Ah ... you should ask David."

"They also noticed that your bed seems to use a lot of linen. Hmm?"

"Yes, Mom."

Nyoman laughed, "I noticed you sing a lot lately ... the girls noticed it too."

Andy blushed ... not just a little ... a lot.

"What do you plan to do about it?"

"Eer ... what?"

"Andy ... you have a ... certain ... Glow ... when was your last... ?" Nyoman made that hand gesture that signifies there's more to say without saying it.

Realization dawned. "FUCK!!! I'm never late ... Nyo? What am I going to do?"

"Do?" asked David, sticking his head around the hatch. "Do about what? Are you sick?"

"Eer ... no? I mean ... I hadn't thought about ... Oh shit." She grabbed her stomach. The head was just around the corner ... the corner David was blocking. She belched ... it smelled really bad ... that was it ... she puked on his shirt, shorts, legs and shoes.

"EWW ... Andy?"

"Get out of my way..."

Too late ... last nights meal added itself to the mornings breakfast ... David tried ... but ... no dice. He added his to hers. Nyoman took one look. "You two are lucky I know how to change diapers."

A double, "Sorry!" and they ran ... oozing vile bile trails all the way to the nearest shower.

"You're cleaning this up if I have to stand over you with a gun!" echoed after them.

The door to the head slammed. Nyo heard the click of the lock.

"What is that smell ... eww!"

"Angel? Don't walk through it!"

"Mom ... I gotta go." she gestured at the head hatch.

"Find another ... that one is occupied."

"MOM!! Who? How long?"

"Find another, Angel ... just turn around and find another ... Go over the side if you have to. That one," she nodded at the closed hatch, "Is going to be a while.

"When you're finished, send Rose to me please."

"Yes, mom." Angel thundered down the passageway and out the chartroom door. Nyo heard Angel shout, "Rose? Mom wants you!"

"Mom? EWW! What? ... I am Not cleaning that up. Oh God, that's gross."

"Rosie ... be a doll and go to the master state and find Andrea some clean clothes ... and find your dad for me."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.