A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series - Cover

A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 76

Coco Solo was a former submarine base and Naval Air Station in the Canal Zone. Under joint control of the United States and the Republic of Panama the facility was slowly becoming a civilian container-ship transfer station. The US military still maintained a presence at the base. When the Pretty Penny motored in to the Zone entrance they were met by a 'Follow Me' patrol boat. Although the sub docks were gone, the seawall. helicopter pads and a piece of the runway were still there. A Coast Guard Sikorsky HH-3 was sitting on the nearest pad.

As soon as the Pretty Penny was tied up at the seawall a large Navy supply ship was anchored just off shore. It would be impossible for anyone to see the Penny. There was a contingent of 'Men in Black', in this case Navy Seals, who surrounded the boat with canvas walls.

"So, how do you explain the ship?" asked Admiral Koenigsknecht.

Rear Admiral Hall explained, "We've been moving equipment for months, Admiral. The Panamanians are taking over the entire Canal in 1999 ... thank you Jimmy Carter ... and we expect to have every wire, nut and bolt gone by '95. I wish we'd had any idea we weren't going to keep the place ... like the treaty said ... in perpetuity ... We wouldn't have built so well." He waved at a row of concrete structures. Just by the depth of the window holes in the walls, you could tell they were three feet thick. "Reinforced concrete ... even the roofs haven't blown off in hurricanes."

"Well, the United States never kept a treaty with the Indians ... I guess Panama was just following our example," Andrea said. "I must say ... it's impressive, Admiral."

At the treaty comment, the Admiral puffed up.

"Don't get mad at me, Hall. Just stating facts."

"It's not exactly the same thing."

"But it had the same results. Just like the Indians ... America is losing an expensive piece of property."

By now the 'Men in Black' were invading the Penny with Geiger-counters. "Admiral!"

"Yes?" They both turned and called.

"Radiation gear, sir."

"Shit!" exclaimed Andrea.

"I was afraid of that," Hall said, "When Austin reported the control panel, I figured we were going to have to take the boat and tear it apart."

"Stop your shit, Hall. This is the Nevis and St. Kitts Navy you're talking about." She reached in her ass pocket and hauled out her passport. "Diplomatic Immunity, Hall. Diplomatic Immunity."

"That's a load of crap ... you and your crew are American citizens. This is a matter of National Security."

"David?" she hollered, "Button!"

"Stop that man!"

"Too late, Admiral. Expect to have your off shore accounts frozen."

After three days of intense talks, Auntie Liz got into the act. "I want my niece and I want her NOW!"

"I'm sorry, your Majesty. she is in the custody of the United States government."

"That's your last word?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.