A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series - Cover

A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 48

Of course, the King's Knight had already sailed. Julia stayed ... she left the cameras. After all, it was Andrea who was supposed to be taking the photos for National Geographic.

The girls from the boat had been transferred by helicopter to a secret government hospital in Ann Arbor. It must be admitted that the Coast Guard thought they got them all.

So, the Knight was long gone ... well, about four hours ... when the barge sunk. Middle Bass Island is where they were headed so David could adjust the sextants. Any certified US Geological Service Survey stake would work, but one with a known altitude above sea level and on a big enough body of water to get a good horizon shot worked best. David had an 'Atomic' watch so a noon shoot was possible. The old windups weren't all that accurate.

As they anchored off the town, a small boat putted out to them.

"There's room at the dock," said the girl running the boat. "Why don't you come in ... it'll save you water taxi fees or launching your own dingy."

David looked at Andrea ... Andrea looked at David. They shrugged.

"Sure, why not." said Andy.

The anchor was soon aweigh, they motored up to the dock and tossed lines to the teenager. She was exceedingly efficient ... and cute.

"You folks are the crew of the King's Knight ... you're famous."

Andrea looked the question.

"Saving all those girls on that sinking sailboat," the teen said. She had a deep tan, like she had spent the summer at the beach ... and she had. This was her last year of freedom. Come winter she was scheduled to move to the mainland and marry a man her parents had picked out. "Are you here for the Last Bash at Put in Bay?"

"Never heard of it. What's it about?"

"College students and older teens congregate there for one last serious party before the Lake gets too cold." she said, brushing her straight brown hair out of her eyes. She fiddled with the ends for a bit. "They do it every year ... they've done it as long as I can remember. Sometimes you can hear the noise over here."

"We're here to calibrate our sextants. Do you know where the survey marker for 41 degrees, 40 minutes, 45 seconds North, by 82 degrees, 48 minutes, 40 seconds West is?"

"Nope ... but I'll bet Mr. Chalmers does. He's a retired Captain. He lives just across the street from the dock office. I can ask."

"We'd appreciate that ... do you give tours?"

That confused her ... tours? she was born here ... she knew everywhere there was to go ... and everywhere she wasn't supposed to go ... but went anyway.

"I can show you around ... but there's not a lot to see. There's the Lonz Winery and the castle ... oh ... and three, count 'em, three airfields"

"I'll pay you to shows us the island while David does his thing," Andrea said. "Maybe you can fill us in on the Last Bash ... it might be fun."

"With a boat this size you'll be very popular." She remembered the part about 'pay.' "Pay me? To show you the island? There's nothing here ... a restaurant/bar, J.F. Walleye's and vineyards. Most residents ride bicycles or walk because it's so small. Compared to Put-In-Bay, Middle Bass is far less crowded and touristy. There's St. Hazard's a small resort ... and Eddies General Store in the center of the island. In the winter there's a whole 95 people on the island. My graduating class was four. Even getting married to a guy my parents picked has to be better than living here."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.