Mistakes...I've Made a Few - Cover

Mistakes...I've Made a Few

Copyright© 2013 by Pappy

Chapter 1

Mistakes, I've made a few!

There was a song like that. Long time ago it was but the truth always hurts no matter how recent or long we go back.

In my case it was not that long, near 11 years and I was only 28.

I had lived the life I thought I had always wanted. The last years had been the worst, the first the best. The blood, guts, gore and screams of the dying would forever overshadow any good I might feel. They say war is Hell! It was probably meant that it's Hell to make War on civilians.

Shock and Awe were not an invention just in the Mideast. War was conducted like that since man existed. Very few armed people generally are the targets. It is the support. Get the people. Win over the Hearts and Minds of those left. Kill those who don't agree.

Yep, I thought, History does repeat itself. The gear might get better, faster, more casualties but the aim is the same. Make it so bad that the support for your enemy goes away. Wait, does that mean people supported the VC not our wonderful lads. Hell, I forgot, even in the US they were hated.

I left the Army, I was free, I just turned in the last of my gear. Why I had to go back to Virginia to do it I'll never understand. I saluted the guards as I left. I was no longer Capt. Rodgers, John, David. I was now a Civilian. I was going back to Texas and start over.

The hotel was near the base, the bars were even closer. What to do, what to do? Drink here or drink there? What to drink? This or some of that? I had choices now. Hell, I'd have both and drink in more than one bar. Life was going to be easy?

If you believe that, there is this bridge for sale I can get you a great price on!

I was not a big guy, nor a small guy. I had not studied any martial arts, could not slice and dice a man 17 different ways or kill him with a straw. I was a mean and dirty SOB though. You sort of get that way growing up in Texas and you learn a lot more in the 'Sandbox' about survival.

The first bar was pretty quiet. Had to buy some of the guys a drink or two before I left to mosey over to where they said the action was. To these guys 'action' was either 'blood', 'broads' or 'body parts', usually all three with 'booze' liberally applied. If this was in Texas, we'd call it a slow night.

I had no sooner sat myself down when three, well three, Hell, three something drunk as skunks came over and told me I was at their table. I was feeling mighty happy till then so decided the table did not mean much to me. Then one of those fools went out of line, and threw an insult at me. "We don't want you Damn Yankees here."

Now there had been no reason for the man to become insulting. He may of had a might too much to drink so I said. "I'm from Texas Boy, and you have about 10 seconds to apologize before you start kissing the floor!"

A snowball in Hell stood better odds than there was of his being sorry. I said I was mean. What I didn't say was I was mean by Texas Standards, anywhere else that translated to deadly as a rattlesnake on steroids. Besides, there were only three of them. This should not take too long.

If you lads step outside you can decide who goes first or maybe all three of you should be together, I hear people like you, sort of like that close male bonding.

Well if that don't beat all. They looked sober again. I don't think they were used to someone not just running away. Hell, they were wasting my drinking time and I was now getting a might peeved. On a good day I was mean, you did not want to be around me on a bad day. I was starting to have a bad day. I waved my hand gesturing them out. I heard.

"We're coming too Capt. we know there is just three but we'll drag the bodies away for you for old times sake.'

I knew that gravel voice and could just see the grin on his face in my mind. "Jake, you father of a hyena, just watch, Ok?"

"Sure Capt. You know us, we always just watch. Hell, this Ain't Texas. As he took off his beret and held it over his chest. Those good old lads had been around these parts enough to recognize the berets and get the feeling that they just might want to rethink that apology.

It wasn't even 'night' and already old memories and times resurfaced.

I walked outside but nothing. I walked back inside. "Nobody wanted to play Jake!" I mocked a tear and a sniff. Three guys laughed. While I was up, Jake called to the band to play 'Dixie'. Most all stood up, I reached down for my Stetson and placed it over my heart. My lads were wishing me farewell.

Farewell, Hell, these were my lads and the night was young. We had a band, all we needed were some girls.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.