Well, It's Complicated You See - Cover

Well, It's Complicated You See

Copyright© 2013 by mthommotoo

Chapter 1

Have you ever entered a pub or a bar for simply a cold beer to quench your thirst and down the other end of the bar was a small group of people, all huddled around one man who was telling a story? The words he used were mesmerising even though all there knew there wasn't a truthful word being spoken. It was the rhythm and narration technique being used, which drew you in. He'd swear on his honour, that every word he uttered was true, may God strike him down if they weren't.

The following story, I swear on my honour, is true, may God strike me down if it isn't.


"You wouldn't believe who I ran into this morning. Do you remember Tammy Hollows?"

"Didn't she elope with that Geoff Milne? Played footy for, for, Jesus, I'm pushing it, Warriors, no, Southern Central, that's right. They made a fuss because he stole his father's car and it was discovered interstate. I hadn't heard that they'd even found them."

"Neither had I. She's was walking around the hardware store as bold as brass. If it not her, it's an absolute doppelgänger and she had a boy with her, about Kelly's age or maybe a year older."

"You were mates weren't you? Why didn't you talk to her?"

"She didn't tell me she was leaving so why should I talk to her now she's back?"

"For old times' sake, and now you wouldn't be kicking yourself for missing all the gos' you could be spreading."

"You're right. I might go looking for her. And you're right, she may be hard to find, don't worry about the gos', she owes me for the shit she put me through."

"What shit? Just because you went out with that Milne kid a couple of times, all's fair in love and war. That's why you met Jimmy, and through him me. Milne was a simple rapist who doped you. You owe her for taking him away from doing it again. You're lucky that Jimmy found where he stashed you. I don't get what she may have got from it though, unless she was getting even in her mind with you, for dating him."

Cheryl kept her eyes open from that point on. She didn't know exactly where to start but as a representative for a stationery wholesaler, it gets her around all the CBD, five days a week.

The boy was the key. She saw him leaving the high school about three in the afternoon a week later, nice looking kid, in fact he reminded her of Geoff, or what her sixteen year old memory of Geoff is. If he is who she believes he is, he's even bigger all round than his father.

Kelly was only a minute behind him and was noticeably watching him. As she entered the car Cheryl asked her what she knew about the cute newcomer, "He's about my age and moved into town last week. His names Geoffrey Fiddler and moved here from Adelaide last month. He's in all my classes, every one, and Jesus is he cute. Fussy is angling in for him to take her out, but she is being ignored. He's worrying me Mum because he's hanging around me, and you know my rep." Jane Fussingham, aka Fussy, is reputed to never wear underpants, in case a boy just might get the urge. To everybody's knowledge she remains a virgin.

"Do you know where he lives?"

"I don't want to be critical but isn't he a bit young for you, Mum? And Dad would be so pissed off."

That hit her funny bone so hard she couldn't even start the car. It took Howard hitting his horn because she was blocking his way, to get her moving. She checked traffic and realised that no one could move because the school pedestrian lights were red and there was a line of buses a klick long blocking the road, so she gave Howard the finger, which made him laugh as she could see through the rear view. Howard Lukeman is a stirring prick, always was, always will be. "Never you mind about your father, this is for his benefit too, and he knows all about it. Where does this boy who wants to take you out, live, Miss, I-Don't-Go-Out-With-Boys?"

"Villiers Ave, somewhere down there in Chrysalis."

"And how do you know that?"

Kelly went red as a berry, "He was introduced to the class and he told us. He looked at me the complete time he talked and I wanted to crawl under the table. He has been asked to join one of the local Rugby League teams, Matty Bryant said Southern Central Juniors, and Geoffrey has said that he played Aussie Rules in Adelaide; he's certainly big enough. Mum, he's seriously nice." These coincidences are becoming ridiculous.

"You won't be going out with him. What do his parents do?"

She looked at her mother as if she had just landed from Mars, "His mother is manager of the local branch of an, um, Mary Murphy Matriarchy, that's right. No father he said."

Mary Murphy Matriarchy is running on the same business model as Dell but employs women only and is reputedly sexist, to the extreme that the State and Federal governments are taking them to court for their employment practices. They make and sell wholesale and retail, online, computers. They have less models than Dell, but more and better features on each computer. They're not a cheap computer, but then again, neither is Dell.

MMM took over the old Grace Brothers warehouse when it went bust locally as it is trying to get storage space closer to its major market. Myer was so pleased to get rid of the real estate, and Cheryl is due to make a call in there later this week to see if she can get into their stationery side. So long as Shields and Shields is not in there already she's in like Flynn. If they are she'll have to work for her crust. Maybe not if Tammy is involved.


The old warehouse has been partially renovated but it is not designed for public sales. Cheryl fronted the main desk, Carmen by the badge, who is part of the order taking combine, but also deals with face to face stuff, "I'm here to speak to your buying officer about stationery sales, but first, does your company have a Tammy working here in, possibly, management?"

"Same thing here, Ms," she looked at my card, "Rhyleston. Tammy Fiddler is our manager and purchasing officer. I'll tell her that you are here to see her." Behind the girl was a large window showing a huge white walled room with women of all ages talking on microphones or doing paperwork or both, without separating screens or walls and going off into the distance. Cheryl finds it odd that she does not know one woman working on the phones and she really would think she should have.

"I am Mrs. Rhyleston. This PC stuff does not carry a lot of weight around here, and tell Tammy that Cheryl Bender is out here." The woman looked at Cheryl with distain, then lowered her voice as she talked on her attached head mic, then she immediately took another call. The door behind the receptionist swung openly almost instantly as if we were being watched. It was Tammy, all right. Sixteen years older, but just as beautiful. A bit harder in the face somehow.

"Give Cheryl my address, Carmen. I'll see you at my place at eight, tonight."

She turned immediately to leave.

"No you won't. Now, or I go straight to the police. And I'll be at your place anyway as I have to talk with your son as well."

If looks could kill, Cheryl had just received one between the eyes. She just looked back, just as hard.

"I'll have my daughter with me who he knows already."

If her head had swivelled to look back at me any quicker, she would have got whiplash. She nodded to me and gestured for me to follow her with her head. It was disconcerting that I went through the door as it wasn't the expected white room with lots of people but a small office with another screen on the corresponding converse wall with a view to the foyer and the rear end of a seated Carmen. It was all a façade. I wondered where the real people were.

"Well?"

"Firstly, business. My company is the biggest stationery wholesaler/retailer in the city and we would like your business. Whether you use me as your contact or not, is up to you; but our prices, service and on hand stock, is second to none. This is our pricelist, and our current inventory of ready prepared letterheads of companies, and we can carry yours if you wish without cost to you and give same day delivery. If you remember Menzies old warehouse, well that is now Fitches, Stationery and Office Furniture.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.