Life Can Get Better
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2013 by Angus

Hell, this was all too much. Again the mind reader strikes. "My poor little man is all confused, isn't that right? Mama Mei and Mama Heather know how to make everything all better." They both took a hand and led me ahead. Chi Dun Toh was holding a hand to her mouth and giggling like a schoolgirl.

There is always something about a new house. Well, it was not really new, it was new to me. Looking back now it was not the house, nor the gardens, animals or the wealth and opulence inside; it was the people.

Mei Li and Heather were firmly now a part of my life. Who am I kidding, they were my life. Unlike when with Julie, Jody, and to some degree Heather, I was no longer running away from Life. I'm not sure if I had Li Wu, Mei Li or myself to thank for that, maybe a little of all three. Even when I spoke with John, the attorney, I was listening to what he said. I was more and more making a decision. It was like the proverbial bell ringing, or the light coming on. I had been like Heather, I wanted others to make my decision for me. I had not trusted those I had made for myself.

It was why when Jody came into my life, I had so freely, even happily gone ahead with whatever she had suggested, no, told me to do.

I think it was Li Wu who first started a reversal of that. We talked, we really talked about the decisions, their perceived consequences and by the strange ways of Fate, alternatives even. I thought back more and had an appreciation for what Li Wu had done for me, to me, even. He was the first not to want or try to take something from me. He gave me things. A house, cars, people, gained my trust and asked nothing in return. I gave him things then. My prized material things. He truly became my partner, my friend. I think I had wanted one long before that, hoped it would be so. I even told John before it happened that I had a partner, a Li Wu.

Then he shamed me. He shamed me to start being responsible, to be more of a man, not some machine. He gave me something to protect, to care for, to be responsible for. Someone to even love. He gave me Mei Li, his daughter. Then he gave me himself, I was becoming his heir, his future, he was preparing me to take over everything he had and to make it grow.

I said I appreciated the patience he had shown. One could see the reluctant acceptance of a 'round eye' as first his partner, then owner of his daughter, and now heir to his empire. It was only one or two at first, but I was now meeting with the real powers in China, and being asked my opinion of what or where this new relationship would require to grow. One warlord suggested a move against another who was reluctant to see any change.

I considered what Li Wu had been teaching me. "'The longest journey begins with but a single small step.' I told my would be conspirator. "When it is time and he sees some benefit, Chang will be one of our strongest allies."

I saw him laugh, he started to leave as he placed a hand on my shoulder. "Are you certain you are not Chinese. Wu has a fine partner, perhaps even a son in law if he is smart. Mei Li would make a fine wife. I would offer horses for her, even, if I were you. Chang will be part of our next discussion. Uncle and I are very interested in new markets and more investments in the West. Count on both our support."

I did not even consider that it had been a test. I merely responded in a way that was becoming more me everyday. No, not me, the me that Li Wu and Mei Li had been creating. Mei, followed by Heather, came in, tea was brought in.

"Well Master, you never answered him!"

"No, I am not Chinese!" I said.

"Master, that is not important. Will you offer my father horses? A girl, even a slave, has so much to do before she might consider being a man's first wife!" She coyly smiled as she left.

"I don't have a father, but Mei has told me she could offer Li Wu as a substitute. He would want at least 2 horses for me. Even if I would only be a second wife. Just so you know, Master!"

I wondered when I had lost control. I looked around for their pets, somehow I was beginning to feel like a lamb being led to the slaughter.

Mei would always be Mei, I knew what I was going to get with her. Heather had changed. She was still as beautiful as ever, but now she seemed different, more confident and determined. I wondered how anyone might change so quickly. Just as those thoughts came through my head there came a 'Duh', the same changes that Heather had made, in the same time, I too had changed. Both of us had been influenced. Me by Li Wu, her by Mei Li.

A small delegation arrived mid morning one day. Mei Li, Heather and myself were being formally asked to join Li Wu and his associates in Hong Kong to represent the Chinese Government in an investment opportunity with some potential partners from the West. Li Wu would be acting on behalf of the West, they wanted someone who would be knowledgeable with China. It would have been an issue if it was not so hilarious. China wanted a 'round eye' who knew the West, the West wanted a negotiator who knew China.

It was funny. Our delegation flew to Honk Kong. The Mandarin Hotel was chosen to host the meetings. Li Wu and his group would meet us there. I met them, and quite in Chinese manner, greeted Li Wu. When I saw Jody there my heart literally stopped, I got pale first, then almost bolted again. She looked like a model now, no, a movie star, except no longer did she look like a young girl. Li Wu introduced his group first. I mine, including Mei Li as my translator (I did not need one, neither did Li Wu) and Heather as my PA. Jody was serving as Wu's PA. He got a lot of envious looks. I had to even stare at the small beauty standing in front of me. I thought back to what she had done to me before and my senses returned.

After tea, some formal introductions and some informal discussions, we broke for a meal. Unlike almost every other investment the Chinese entered into, there was no lengthy and detailed report or summary prepared and reviewed well in advance. In fact, there was nothing written down.

I did not approach Li Wu nor Jody. Although Mei and Heather both met them, I had little or no desire to even see her in a meeting, let alone anything personal. I even asked Mei to find out from her father why she was even here. I expected to hear that Wu was her new 'conquest', a new paramour added to her stable perhaps. It was the next logical step for the fledgling 'Lolita'.

We were broken up into two groups, one returned to the area we had previously occupied, a small number of us, myself, Mei and Heather included, were taken to a guarded room. Chinese and men dressed in Western suits stood both outside and inside the room.

I was seated, but by this time the mere presence of Jody made me see red. It was not the Red from the PRC either. Li Wu saw my reaction, so did Mei. She came over. I whispered to her that I must excuse myself. If Jody must be there, (as I had been informed) then I would not. It was that simple to me. I was going to run again. From everything, if need be. I told her in 3 minutes I was leaving, she could take over or end the meeting.

The meeting was ended due to prior commitments was the excuse. I left, ignoring everyone, especially Jody. I guess we, the Chinese hosts, were in charge. In great deference, I was the first to leave. Heather followed, Mei stayed to speak to the lead for the West, her father.

In our rooms I went to mine and told the guards I was not to be disturbed. No one, meaning no one, was to be allowed to see me. I could not even sleep. I lay on the bed reflecting what I had done. I could not understand why this was happening again. In Florida I had treated her and Julie in a civil manner, considering my feelings. Here, it was the fire and ice scenario. I could not, would not, be in the same room with her, let alone have her again try to tell me what to do. I hated her, and I still loved the imp.

I fell into a sort of sleep. The next morning I opened my bedroom door and asked the guard if Mei might see me. He would send someone to find her. I told him, never mind. I took a hotel limo to the airport and returned to the mainland. Four guards accompanied me. No Mei, no Heather. I was planning to run away again, and needed time to think.

I was shaking, my hands trembled and I felt cold but sweaty at the same time. Not a word was said as I returned to the house. Later that day Mei and Heather returned, with Li Wu this time. The meeting had been rescheduled. I had already made my decision, I asked Li Wu if I was free to leave. With tears starting he said that I was. I commanded Mei and Heather to remove their collars and hand them to me. They did so. I told them they were free. Free to do whatever. I handed Wu their collars and we looked at each other.

"I am so sorry, my friend, I should have discussed this with you! Is there no other way?"

I shook my head no and left the room. Mei started to follow but Wu placed his hand on her to stop. Poor Heather was in tears, Mei looked at her father, who looked up, as if for guidance.

I really had no place left to go. I had relied on Li Wu or Mei to do just about everything. True to form, I realized I really had not changed what I lacked, only on who I had making decisions for me. First it had been John, then Jody, Wu, Heather and Mei followed. I had to laugh, laugh at myself and the lies I had been living. I would have inherited an empire, yet I could not even control my emotions in a meeting.

I had always been happy when I had nothing, being a nobody had afforded me the anonymity a nobody might have. I took a long walk. My 'Long March', I thought. Maybe I understood the Chinese mind better than I thought. I had lost face. It was like honour, only much more. It was a realization that one's life was no longer on the right path, that what was to be achieved would never be, and returning was impossible.

There was really nothing left for me. I not only contemplated suicide, I would welcome such a final escape. The three walked towards me. It was Mei Li, Heather and the traitor Jody. If a cliff was anywhere near I would have jumped off.

I started to turn away. My hands went to my head, my heart was pounding. Everything seemed to be spinning around, clouds and flashes of blinding light filled my eyes. In my mind everything seemed to unfurl, I saw segments of my life like a slow motion movie, only in small highlight format. I did not like what I was seeing. I was commenting on many of the things I saw. Some got a nod, others a shake of the head, like what I was seeing could not have been possible. But I knew it was me, my life, the things I had done, or not done.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.