Life Can Get Better - Cover

Life Can Get Better

Copyright© 2013 by Angus

Chapter 2

As I got back home (in a cab, mind you!) I had a lot of thinking to do.

The new office would put a lot of people to work, but would it really make that much of a difference to the town in general?

Not everyone fell into those narrow categories. Sure, it made sense that those people needed a lot of help. So did a lot of other people, as Jody's plight pointed out.

At one time there was a television ad for a $1,000 loan, no questions asked if you had a job. I always wondered, though, if it was just to charge some huge amount of interest or if people really were helped.

We had 6,500 people in town. We had enough money to give $1,000 to each of them every year for ten years. No repayment. That was not what we ever intended. Jody had indicated that, 'she wanted to pay it back'.

So it seemed the little nine year old should come up with another plan, one that would not only see a change in the city but set it on a track to grow and even prosper.

Julie was perfect for starting a daycare. She had been faced with all the things every single parent would need to know about. Not just women, but men, too. It would seem this was really turning into something. There were so many things that needed to be done that it was not clear where to start.

Ah, sleep. The sleep of the just. I hope Jody and Julie were enjoying their new place.

I did go to Bill's and got some breakfast.

"Hey, Buddy, I hope that I did not create a problem yesterday? Little Jody just got to me, and an idea came to mind for both her and her Mom!"

"Hell yeah it did! Now I'll have to close up shop, maybe apply for a $1,000,000 from that foundation of yours!" he laughed.

"No, really, I was just keeping her on part-time. I hated to just let her go, I did not have the heart to tell her I did not need her; you saved me that pain. Can I charge you double for breakfast though?"

"Sure, Billy, but maybe I'll just stick with coffee then? Let's see, that makes it a buck plus tip, right?"

"OK you cheapskate, I'll let you off the hook this time, but you still owe me a pizza and a beer! Now what will you have?"

I ate, then went over to pick up Jody and Julie. I could not help thinking of Jody as the one in charge. Maybe getting her mom on one path and her on another would be a good thing for both of them. I got to their condo just before 10 am. If they had not eaten either, we would go now or I would get them an early lunch.

When they opened the door to let me in I saw a sight. Julie looked like she had just now fallen asleep, while Jody was bright eyed and bushy tailed, as they say.

"Ahh, rough night, Julie?"

"Aw gee, Rob, what would give you that idea? Oh yeah, maybe the birds nest on my head, the bathrobe and no makeup maybe. Miss Playboy Bunny there, however, thinks she could get used to a place like this. I know men don't just give a girl this kind of place unless they expect something. This, plus a car, now shopping today; I can just imagine what kind of a 'job' you will expect from me; maybe even from Jody? I just can't think of what else I can do, though. You have shown me things I can't give my kids any other way than on my back. You have me where you want me, Rob."

This was not what I was expecting. I tried to ignore what she was saying.

"Jody sort of gave me the big picture yesterday. I thought of a job I really need someone like you to take charge of. We talked a little about money, but Jody did not know what I had in mind!"

"I'll bet! I know what you had in mind, all you men only have one thing on your mind!"

Jody turned red and covered her face with both hands. I was not sure if the wink I gave her or the Mr. Spock eyebrow move got her going, but she started to laugh.

"Well, in that case, how do you feel about my giving your daughter a job too, I'd have to give you her money, though, she is too young to be on the books yet."

If looks could kill, Julie was already convicted of my murder.

"Hey," I said, "Jody already offered herself to work off anything if you refused!"

I think that last remark did it. She sat down and started to cry. Really cry, and a lot of sobbing.

"Ahh, Julie, I think you misunderstand. I have a foundation that your daughter made me realize did not truly serve the needs of our town. One of those things was that you needed a job, and I realized that we need a daycare in town. I wanted you to be in-charge and set one up. I also realized that a smart young partner like Jody could come up with some ideas and causes us grown ups never would think of. That's all. I never dreamed of corrupting you; let alone your daughter. I want to help you, not hurt you."

She looked at me, waves her hand around (indicating the model condo), and went back to crying even more now. I motioned Jody to go over to console her.

"This condo, job, car and what we will get today are just things for you both to have. There are no strings attached. No expectations. Jody also gave me ideas, so that I will pay for her education and any expenses in the future. When she graduates from college, or even higher learning if she wants, she will come work for me for five years at a fair salary, as thanks, nothing more. You will be making $50,000 a year in addition to the car and condo. No negotiation, I can afford it, the foundation can afford it also. Jody, you, as of today are in charge of research and development. Your Mom works for you while she starts on the daycare, you are to come up with new projects, prepare a report, and present the ideas to the rest of the Board and myself. If anything does not fit the model that the Foundation has established but it is still needed, then I will fund it myself. There, how does that sound?"

I don't know what you all think of a nine year old girl kissing and hugging an older man, but let me tell you, it is a sobering thing. In those few minutes my future, no, our future, established itself. I never had someone I would trust. Now I had had two girls to go off on their own and do the things I could not.

I had dodged a bullet with Julie by clearly and accurately explaining how important they both were, and that I really needed them. The future would make even that an understated opinion.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.