Megan Enraged - Book 2 of Wizard - a Love Story - Cover

Megan Enraged - Book 2 of Wizard - a Love Story

Copyright© 2013 by MisguidedChild

Chapter 18: Remembering A Friend

Their group arrived in Longview, Washington on May 14th, 1980 in the early evening. They were greeted at the hotel by John's father.

"It's good to see you, son," Victor Plamondon said as he embraced John.

"It's good to see you too, Dad," John said with more feeling that was normal for him as he hugged his father back.

John had been trying to emulate Udit's stoic persona. Sean had kidded him about it on several occasions.

"You would get more mileage out of that look, if your face was more wrinkled like Udit's," Sean had advised one time with a grin.

"It's probably short people like you that caused all his wrinkles," John had replied as he grabbed Sean and started tickling him.

John Plamondon loved kids and would play with them wherever he found them. He was a frequent escort for Martha, Liz and the kids during school days at the Crown King Elementary. A common discussion between John and Nancy was about his desire for ten or more kids and her assertion that adoption was the only way that would happen.

"Let me explain what we have planned," Victor said after the introductions were complete. "I think the literature you received, explained that we have two days of events planned."

Seth nodded and said, "One day of public ceremony and one day of tribal ceremony. It seems a little excessive but, we're here to honor David."

"It might seem excessive ... but, it's necessary," Victor said. "Let me explain. The Cowlitz tribe is very tightly integrated with the Longview and Kelso cities and the both the Cowlitz and Lewis counties. We haven't been officially recognized by the federal government yet, so we have more funding limitations than some of the larger tribes. So, we find ways to compensate. We do a lot of work with the local governments for things like getting funding for schools, road maintenance and public services. These are things all local governments do but, there are a limited number of avenues for funding many of the things we would like to have in our communities. Like better hospitals and schools. Indian tribes have different funding sources and rights."

Seth nodded and dryly said, "Udit has explained how the federal government and the Bureau of Indian Affairs doles out money."

Victor chuckled but it didn't seem to have much humor in it. "I guess you've heard how inventive the B.I.A. can be in leaving tribes out on a very thin limb. The lack of formal recognition seems to make them feel justified in ignoring our requests. Some of your youngsters have graduated from law school though, so that's changing. Even the federal government has to pay attention to a court order. That was a hard lesson to learn. Anyway, we've found ways to work around and through the feds by working with the local governments. We can complain to the B.I.A. about a 'mistake' in funding that takes five years or more to correct. The only response we get is another form to fill out or another committee we need at testify for on Capitol Hill. It's a completely different scenario when the funding is for a project that has multiple funding sources. The cities, counties and state are involved in the questions about 'mistakes' in the funding. That brings newspapers and television into it."

Victor chuckled again, and there was more humor in it this time. "Watching the cockroaches scatter when a bright light is shown on them is truly a pleasure. That's why the public portion of these ceremonies are so important. The elected politicians need to be involved because they helped us. The public ceremonies gives them some time in front of their electorate and the press."

"What are the tribal ceremonies for," Sean asked curiously. "Please don't misunderstand me, sir. We don't mind being here for two days or participating in the public and tribal ceremonies. I'm just trying to understand. Why couldn't the ceremonies be combined?"

Victor looked at Sean thoughtfully before glancing at Megan and then his son.

John simply nodded and smiled. He had been dealing with Sean's and Megan's questions for a couple of years now. The constant stream of questions were a test of his patience at times. It was fun to watch his dad deal with them for a change.

"Um," Victor started. "There is another way to look at the ceremonies, Sean. The public ceremonies are about the school buildings that are named after David Stalker. The tribal ceremonies are about David Stalker, the man, and how he has been integrated into our tribal history. Both ceremonies are important to the tribe. Your participation in the public ceremonies is appreciated, but I don't know how much they will mean to you. They are important to the tribe for monetary reasons. Your participation in the tribal ceremonies is more important because all of you were an important part of David's life. David's story is now part of the Cowlitz Tribal story that started centuries ago, before we came to this land. The tribal ceremonies will add David to that story for all time. It's like..."

Victor looked around as if searching for an adequate comparison.

"It's kind of like adding another book to the bible," Megan said softly.

Victor looked at her sharply and, after a moment he smiled and nodded. "That's a good analogy," he said.

"So, what's the schedule," Seth asked.

"Nothing tonight," Victor said, relieved to get to a more comfortable subject. He had always found explaining tribal traditions to white men difficult. It was more of a protective reaction than embarrassment. He knew that many white men viewed Indian tribal ceremonies as trivial and with disdain. Victor was proud of his tribe and his tribe's traditions. He wanted to avoid situations of conflict with these white men.

"We have a ten A.M. ribbon cutting ceremony at the school tomorrow," Victor continued. "There will be some speeches and that should be finished by noon. After lunch we have a television interview for Udit. Later, we have a fifteen minute radio interview set up. Both the television and radio spots will be with the mayor of Longview and one of the county commissioners. Dinner with the tribal elders tomorrow night. Friday will be a little easier. We'll start with lunch at the tribal headquarters. There will be a cleansing ceremony after lunch. Udit may be asked to participate in that."

"I've helped with cleansing ceremonies before," Udit said somberly.

"Is that like getting him to take a bath?" Sean asked with a smile.

"Now is not the time, Sean," Udit said, giving him a stern look.

"Yes, sir," Sean said as he sat back in his chair. Udit didn't often chastise him.

After a moment, Udit asked, "Why do you not talk in church, Sean."

"Because it is rude to the other members of the congregation and I might learn something from the sermon," Sean replied.

"And?" Udit pressed.

"Because no person's beliefs are to be taken lightly," Sean said quietly. "Everyone's beliefs are valid, at least to that person, and should be treated with the same respect and dignity that I would want my beliefs treated."

Udit nodded and said, "Good answer." He looked back at Victor and asked, "What happens after the cleansing ceremony."

"Um, the Story Dance will start sometime between six and seven," Victor said, still distracted by the exchange between Udit and Sean. He knew what Sean and Megan were and the reprimand by Udit was startling as well as informative. Maybe his fears of white man derision of his tribe's ceremonies wouldn't come to pass.

"What is the Story Dance?" Megan asked curiously.

"The Story Dance is the story of our people," Victor said with pride and reverence. "It starts when our tribe escaped a plague of men that wanted to enslave us. Many of our people didn't escape because they stayed behind to ensure we escaped. A holy one and the spirits led us on a terrible trek through wind and snow. We were pursued by the evil men that wanted to enslave us, but we refused to give up because we are free men. We crossed lands that were only passable during the oceans lowest tides. The spirits, in the dream, showed us when to cross those lands. The men pursuing us were caught when the tides returned. We came to this land long ago and we settled on the rivers of this land. Since then, we have grown and met new tribes. The French came in the 1800's and later the Americans. It's all part of our story. A new chapter will be added to the Story Dance on Friday night. The story of David Stalker will be added."

Thursday's public ceremonies were interesting and heartwarming. Seth and Udit both gave speeches that honored David. They both caused Sean and Megan to cry.

The television interview was a little more out of the ordinary. The lady that was interviewing Seth and Udit made the mistake of asking Sean what he thought of the ceremonies that dedicated the school and honoring David. She was expecting a cute answer from a five year old that could be used to heighten the human interest appeal of the interview.

"David died saving Udit and Aunt Ava," Sean replied seriously. "I think he would have been honored to have a school named after him when he was alive. He was always trying to teach me something so I think he would have liked anything to do with education. He's moved on to more important things now."

"Ah, well, ah, what more important things?" the television lady asked at a loss for words.

Sean shrugged and said, "Well, he's sure not worrying about when we'll get lunch. He's probably more concerned with world peace and things like that."

"A young man that knows his priorities," the television lady said into the camera with a strained smile.

"And, that's a wrap," the producer of the segment said.

"Sean, behave," Seth said with a chuckle. The boy just didn't know how to act like a five year old.

The dinner with the tribal elders was interesting but uninformative for the most part. Sean and Megan wanted to find out more about the Story Dance. Every question they asked about the Dance was politely rebuffed or the subject changed. The only real information they gained from the dinner was the definition of holy ones. Apparently, Cory, Lain, Sean and Megan were viewed as holy ones. The elders, in one way, felt honored that four holy ones were with them. In another way, they were put off that three of the holy ones were white men and one closely resembled the men that had tried to enslave them long ago. Sean and Megan thought that Udit's mentoring of them was the only reason that the party rose to the level of acceptability.

Things started changing during the Cleansing Ceremony. Udit asked the group to gather for a private meeting before the start of the ceremony. He was very serious when Cory and Brennan, the last to arrive, closed the door behind them.

"I need to explain what is going to happen today," Udit started in a grave voice. "I need for all of you to understand the importance of what is going to happen and the honor that you are receiving for being allowed to view it."

Everyone grew quiet and attentive. Udit nodded to himself. They were taking this seriously. That was a very good thing.

"All of us respected David Stalker," Udit said. "Some of us loved him as something resembling a brother or close uncle." At everyone's nod of acceptance he continued. "David was a product of this culture and its history. Everything you respected or loved about him came from this culture. Europeans and Asians have preserved their history with writing in scrolls and books. The Cowlitz people used sacred dances to preserve that history."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.