Megan Enraged - Book 2 of Wizard - a Love Story - Cover

Megan Enraged - Book 2 of Wizard - a Love Story

Copyright© 2013 by MisguidedChild

Chapter 12: How To Live

The hospital had initially put Udit in one of the open wards that was used for migrants, homeless patients, and others that didn't have insurance and couldn't pay. The clothes they had cut from his body certainly indicated that he was another one that wouldn't be paying for his care. The hospital tried to take care of everyone equally but, budget squeezes hampered them at every turn.

That changed when the Flynn convoy arrived at the hospital. They arrived angry at David's death and Udit's injury. That anger wasn't soothed by the medical bureaucracy.

"Udit is an employee of the Gordian Ranch and is covered by the Ranch insurance," Seth angrily told the over worked administrative clerk and pointing at an array of cards that supplied insurance information. This was the third time that he had tried to explain why the change needed to be made. His nerves and patience were at their limit. "Get him into a private room, now. The biggest one that you have," he ordered.

"I'm sorry, sir, but that's not possible today," the admin clerk said sweetly. "Maybe we can do something about it tomorrow, during business hours."

"Lady," Seth said in warning. His voice was low and angry. "I want him..." He stopped when a hand was laid on his shoulder.

"Excuse me, Seth," Ben said quietly. He had been listening and couldn't believe what he was hearing. He vowed to check his own hospital to ensure he didn't have any self important bureaucrats dealing with the public when he returned. "Let me take care of this." He stepped forward and flipped his wallet open so the lady could read his identification as the Administrator for the Yavapai Regional Medical Center. He didn't have any authority in this hospital, but, this idiot would be aware that he wasn't without knowledge or influence.

"Lidia," Ben said reading the administration clerk's name tag. "If you don't have the authority to make the call on this case, then please call Mr. Pearson, your hospital administrator. We really do need to get this resolved now."

"I can't just move an old Indian from a ward to a room," Lidia protested. Her whining tone was like fingernails on chalkboard. "I can't call Mr. Pearson either," Lidia explained. "He's already left for the day," she said, clearly thinking the matter closed.

Ben closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He had seen Seth use this method to control his temper. It didn't seem to work for Ben, this time. He opened his eyes and softly said, "Lidia, you know his care will be paid for, now. So, you have three choices. Make the call and move the 'Old Indian'." He used the woman's words to describe Udit but ice shards seemed to hang in the air as he said them. "You can call Pearson, wherever he is, for permission. I don't care if he's at home with his loving wife, on the golf course cussing at little white balls, or getting screwed by one of his hookers." His voice had risen and hardened at each word. He leaned forward and in a very, very soft voice said, "Or, you can start looking for a new job. Don't bother to look for a job in the medical community. You won't find one."

"Yes sir. Right away, sir. He'll be moved within ten minutes, sir," the woman babbled as she fumbled with the phone.

"Well done," Seth said quietly as they walked away. "I thought you said that you were never in the Marines?"

"I wasn't, but my dad was!" Ben replied with a grimace. he shook his head and said, "I'm not sure he ever got out. Mom said that he wasn't the same after coming back from the Pacific. But," he sighed and jerked his head toward the clerk. "I think I got a little carried away there. She made me mad though. Most medical staff, you know, the doctors and the nurses, really try to do a good job. I think the administrative staff tries to do a good job too but, there are just too many of them that are overly impressed with their own importance. The worst part is, every lawsuit of a doctor or a hospital seems to spawn another rule or regulation. Every new regulation needs two or three more administrative staff to enforce it. Every additional administrator costs more money which strains budgets that are already tight which leaves less money for the actual care of patients. At some point, one of these days, medical care is going to break under the administrative load. America's going to lose the high standard of medical care that we enjoy and attracts people from all over the world. We attract patients and practitioners from all over the world for a reason. How long do you think that will continue if this trend continues?"

Seth could only nod in agreement.


The room was crowded with everyone standing around Udit's bed. They were in a private hospital room which was a good thing. The actions of the 'visitors' would have appeared odd to many casual observers.

Udit didn't arrive in good shape. Both of Udit's legs were in casts. His left leg was elevated in a sling. The other was bent slightly, but lying on the bed. A bandage covered the side of Udit's face and head. Apparently, the car had dragged him a few feet before rolling over his legs.

Ava was quietly crying in Martha's arms. Seth was standing beside Martha and his arm was around both of them.

The Reverend Willis was on the other side of Ava. He had one hand on her arm and he held his open bible in his other hand. Pat Willis was silently praying for Udit, the soul of David Stalker, and this odd family that he had come to know so well over the last fifteen months. The questions they raised, troubled his mind and tested his faith, but he loved them. They were good people.

Susan was sitting in a chair with Pete standing behind her. He was still in his highway patrol uniform. His hands were resting comfortingly on Susan's shoulders. Susan's eyes were red from crying. Pete's were angry. David was his friend. Udit was his friend. They were his family.

Sheila was sitting in a chair next Susan and BB was behind her. BB was watching Udit angrily.

That was his grandfather lying on the bed. Udit had always been the towering figure that was larger than life to him. Now, his grandfather seemed so frail lying under the sheets. Udit's eyes were closed and his breathing was shallow. There had been some internal damage but the doctors had determined that it wasn't immediately life threatening. Udit would require another operation to repair the damage, when he was stronger. His anger at the Brujo that had caused this grew by the moment. Each beep of the machine that confirmed that Udit's heart had beat one more time seemed to stoke his anger higher. It was on this crucible of anger, a feeling of hopelessness, and fear for his Grandfather that BB declared war on Brujos. Udit had been training him to take his place. BB had fought Brujos and their minions on a couple of occasions. His commitment to the war was a surface acknowledgement though. Seeing Udit's frail form, fighting for life, burned that commitment into his soul.

Liz was standing beside the door waiting for Ben. Ben had gone to the hospital administration offices to address more questions. Apparently, an administrative supervisor still questioned Udit's status. Based on Ben's angry expression when he left, it wouldn't take long to rectify the issue, whatever it was.

Pappy and Laoshin had stayed at the ranch.

"An enemy can draw an army away to expose a different vulnerability," Laoshin had said. "I will stay here."

"I guess I'm staying too," Pappy said angrily. He liked Udit. The thought of someone hurting him made him angry. David being killed made him furious. The memory of other members of his family dying at the hand of Brujo's came to the fore and it raked his soul anew, but he couldn't do anything in Phoenix. Maybe, if he stayed, he would get a crack at some of the culprits.

Brennan still hadn't returned. He had urged Ava into the ambulance with Udit with a mumbled assurance that he was alright.

"I'm going to find who did this, Lass," the big man had rumbled angrily. "You take care of Udit and call the others. I'll be back when I can."

Sean and Megan were sitting in the same chair at the foot of the bed while watching Cory and Lian. Their minds were linked and Megan rode Sean's thoughts as tendrils of strength and encouragement eased into Udit. Sean had one hand resting Udit's covered foot just below his cast.

Cory and Lian were on each side of the bed. They were each trying, in their own way, to heal Udit. They had been at it for over thirty minutes and the strain was showing on both of their faces.

Cory stepped back and shaking his head said, "I can't do anything else right now." He sounded exhausted. "His head is better and I've stopped the internal bleeding. I think there's going to be a problem though. His brain has started swelling from the trauma."

Lian stepped back and slumped into a chair. Her face was haggard. "I don't think I can do more now, either," she said as a tear escaped one eye. "The flesh in his legs are healing now and the bone in his right leg is healing." She shook her head sorrowfully and said, "The bone of the left leg is crushed. There are too many splinters. I can't repair that."

The door opened and a nurse looked in. She frowned at the number of people and said, "There's not supposed to be more than four visitors here at a time. That's why we only have four chairs," she said pointedly. "Some of you will have to leave. Visiting hours are over in thirty minutes anyway."

Sean looked around hurriedly. Reverend Willis had his bible out and wore his collar of office and that gave Sean and idea.

"But, we haven't finished praying," Sean said in his little boy's voice. He sent a tendril of love to the nurse and her features softened.

"Well," she said as she glanced at the Preacher.

The Reverend Willis held up his open bible as proof that prayers were indeed being said in the room. Besides, who's to say that what the Wizards were doing wasn't the genesis of praying for the injured and the laying on of hands?

Sean sent another tendril of love.

"You have thirty minutes to finish your prayers," the nurse conceded before closing the door on her way out.

Reverend Willis had been startled at suddenly being in the spotlight and had reacted the only way he knew that would support the family. He knew the Flynn family were believers but wasn't sure about the rest. He was curious about the new comers too. The bald, oriental woman was a surprise. The red headed Irishman was surprising too. Both of the new comers seemed to exude power in some way the Preacher couldn't define. He was aware they were trying to help the old Shaman and for that, he was grateful. The newcomers comments about healing was a little vindication too. He was still worried about Udit though. Reverend Willis had come to like and respect Udit over the last year.

"Let me try," Sean said into the quiet after the nurse had closed the door. "Could I have a drink of water first?"

Liz walked forward, without a word, and moved the rolling tray that extended over the bed so that it was within Sean's reach. She poured water from a metal pitcher that glistened with condensation and filled a glass. She met Sean's gaze as she handed the glass to him. Her eyes flicked to Megan and back.

Sean nodded slightly.

Liz's eyes seemed to sadden a little, but her shoulders seemed to stiffen in pride, too.

Sean understood the conflicting emotions that Liz was projecting. Having a Mage as a child was a mixed blessing at best. Determining if the blessing was good or bad depended on who was lost, hurt, or killed that day.

Sean sipped the water before carefully setting the glass on the tray.

{Are you sure that you want to help me with this?} Sean asked silently.

"Yes," Megan answered. {I love him, too. I need to help him if I can, } she thought to him.

{You will feel his pain, } Sean warned silently.

"I know," Megan answered quietly, aloud, forgetting there were others in the room. "I still need to help."

Megan's voice trembled slightly in fear, and who could blame her. She was only seven months old. She didn't want to feel Udit's pain, but she had already learned that a Wizard's, or Sorceress' life, was a life of sacrifice.

"Okay," Sean said softly, aloud. He carefully tapped the glass of water with his talent, breaking bonds between hydrogen and oxygen. He absorbed the energy released and shared some with Megan. That little bit of energy was simply to top off their internal reserves. Then, he started pulling more energy from the water for healing.

Megan rode Sean's thoughts as they plunged into pain, chaos, and wrongness of Udit's broken body.

Reverend Willis had been present when conversations had turned to healing around the Flynn's dinner table. His polite skepticism had been accepted by the Flynn's cadre with understanding smiles. His skepticism seemed to have been justified when the new comers had stepped back, admitting defeat. "Well, not complete defeat but not complete victory either," he admitted to himself. He assumed they were Wizards, too, though no one had introduced them as such. His eyes widened as a soft glow began emanating from Sean and Megan. "This is not normal, Patrick," he muttered to himself, aloud.

Cory slowly walked around Sean and Megan, careful to keep his distance from the glowing pair. They were silent, other that occasional gasps and groans from the little girl, Megan. He stopped beside Lian and quietly asked, "Do you know what's happening?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.