Megan Enraged - Book 2 of Wizard - a Love Story
Chapter 10: Second Delegation Meeting

Copyright© 2013 by MisguidedChild

The two black Dodge Ram Chargers were not as hesitant about driving into the ranch yard as they had been on the previous visit. Once again, Sean had warning of the impending arrival of the little caravan from his feathered friends. The 'family' was arrayed on the ranch house porch awaiting the Delegation.

David was included in this meeting to screen for possible Nightmare intruders. He was anxious for the meeting to be concluded though. Ava had called the night before to give them flight information so someone could meet her at the airport. David was distracted by her impending arrival.

"I really don't feel like riding all the way to Phoenix and back," Sheila said worriedly. "Do you think mom will mind if I don't meet her?" Sheila's pregnancy looked like it was a lot further advanced than the seven months she actually was.

Ben took the day off for the meeting so he could better evaluate the Delegation. They would, after all, be associating with his daughter. Ben was the Yavapai Medical Center Administrator. Most people viewed him as a mild mannered administrator. He was, in fact, fiercely protective of his daughter. Megan was his baby girl despite the fact that she could level cities if she wanted.

Megan loved her daddy just as much as he loved her.

Susan was also present for this meeting since Pete was on shift with the state police. They felt it was important that one of them be present for the meeting since it would involve their unborn child's future.

Lian had questioned Susan intensely about her and Pete's encounter with Margarita. Susan had explained the sense of detachment from her body she had felt when Margarita had taken it over.

"It was like being a passenger in a car," Susan explained. "You can see where you're going and what you're doing but you have no control over any of it. Well, I knew that wasn't right. Udit taught us better than that. I took back control but followed along until she said to shoot Pete." Susan snapped her fingers and said, "That's when I pointed the shotgun at her," the black woman said with a feral grin. "Pete turned at the same time. She blew up a cloud of dust for cover and ran. She's lucky she ran because I wasn't going to miss with that scatter gun. Pete doesn't miss with his pistol either."

Lian could only shake her head and mutter, "Amazing."

Seth and Sean met Brett Stevens when he opened the door of the Dodge. David was standing at Sean's shoulder but hung back slightly. He didn't like the arrogant New Englander, even though they were on the same side of the war.

The rest of the family continued to the Ranch Hand Kitchen to take their places. There was a different set up from the previous week. Seth had warned the Delegation that a meal wouldn't be served until after the business was concluded this time.

"Good morning, Mr. Flynn, Sean," Brett said jovially, completely ignoring the presence of David.

"Good morning, Mr. Stevens," Seth replied as he shook the Wizard's hand.

Dabir and Ethan exited the Dodge, and smiled when they saw Sean.

"It's good to see you again, Sean," Dabir said.

His sincerity was obvious in his voice. He nodded respectfully to Seth. Seth returned the nod.

"It is indeed, Mate," Ethan chimed in with a smile. "Dabir's been giving us information about that Shamash bloke. You have done the world a service. More importantly, a service to my own worthless hide. I could have been killed in that hash up."

"I understand that we owe you a debt of gratitude, too, Mr. Stalker," Dabir said as he shook David's hand. "Laoshin explained that your skills identified the gunmen, and our young Wizard here was able to incapacitate them without a fuss," Dabir added.

"We would have been in a cross fire," Ethan picked up the explanation for their effusive gratitude. "Based on Dabir's description of Shamash, he could have easily finished whatever the gunmen left alive."

"We still wouldn't have been in that, um, unfortunate position if we had been warned," Brett said stiffly.

"Come now," Ethan protested. "Would you have trusted us after the scene with Whitcomb? I certainly would not."

"Ahhh," a fourth man said in satisfaction as he approached the group. "So this is the wee lad of the hour."

Sean's first impression of the newcomer was a wild shock of bright, red hair and laughing eyes the color of glacial ice. The man didn't look like he could be over five and a half feet tall. He had a slim build, but seemed to exude a sense of strength and power.

Brett cleared his throat and said, "Seth, Sean, I'd like to introduce you to Cory Haney. Cory is the European representative that replaced Whitcomb. He's from Ireland. Mr. Haney, this is Seth Flynn and Sean David Kilpatrick Flynn."

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Haney," Sean said.

"And it's nice to meet you too, Lad," Cory said. His voice had a mellow, warm feel to it.

"Welcome to the Gordian Ranch," Seth said holding out his hand. His reservation at having a replacement for Whitcomb was plain in his tone and body language.

Cory sighed before saying, "I was sure Whitcomb would bullock up this meeting when he insisted on being the representative. I only ask that you don't judge me by my predecessor, sir."

There was a sincere ring to his voice that couldn't be mistaken.

Seth held the handshake for a moment longer while meeting the Irishman's gaze.

He nodded and said, "Agreed. We'll have a clean slate."

"Good. Good," Cory said effusively. He looked over his shoulder and his smile broadened.

"I'd like to introduce you to my minder," Cory said.

The large man following Cory, winced at his words. He was large but not fat. He towered to about six and a half feet. His hair was a thick, iron gray. His handle bar mustache was thick and wider than his broad, square face. The mustache was shot with gray, too.

"This gentleman is Brennan Sherman. I believe they named a tank after him," Cory said thoughtfully.

Sean snickered, and the big man looked at him in surprise.

"No matter," Cory continued with a shrug. "He is my adult supervision when they let me out of the house," he said with laughing eyes and a straight face.

"Cory," the big man said in warning, his voice rumbling like earth shifting in a deep cavern.

"Sorry, Bren," Cory said grasping one of the big man's upper arms in an obvious gesture of respect and love. "I couldn't resist." His fingers didn't encompass more than half the man's bicep.

"You can never resist," the big man rumbled shaking his head in resignation. He turned to Seth and Sean and nodded in greeting. "It is good to meet the two of you. Um, we may be related through my mother's family. Her family name was Flynn," he said. He gestured toward the entrance of the ranch and said, "I never believed I'd see the Celtic Knot of Destiny so far from home. I'd like to hear the story behind that, someday."

"Someday," Seth agreed. He liked the newcomers, but he was still leery of the Delegation as a whole. "For now, if we can finish our business, we can decide how to proceed in as painless a way as possible."

Sean noticed Brett stiffen at the reference to the words he had used the week before. The American Wizard looked around and spotted Lian and Laoshin walking towards the Ranch Hand Kitchen with the family. He frowned at the lack of greeting from the Asian.

"Sounds like a plan," Ethan said as he turned to follow the family.

Dabir followed without a word.

"Lead on, Mac Duff," Cory said jauntily with a bow and a sweeping gesture of his hand for Brett to precede him.

Cory was walking beside Sean and Seth. Brendan was just behind them and Brett was about ten feet ahead of them when Cory softly said, "I am particular about who walks behind me."

"Understandable," Seth murmured back. "I have similar, um, tendencies."

"Tis a survival characteristic," Brennan rumbled thoughtfully but quietly.

"I've had need," Seth replied shortly.

The big man and Cory nodded in unison, and complete understanding.

"David?" Sean said, asked his friend.

David didn't need the question to be voiced to understand it. "Everything's the same with the rest. A mountain meadow on a summer morning, combined with the open sea right after a storm is new."

Sean nodded in satisfaction.

Cory's eyebrows arched in surprise as he realized what had just happened. Then he smiled at the casual ingenuity of the Flynn's security.

This time the tables were set up in a large square so everyone could sit at the same table. Sean and Megan's seats already had their booster chairs in place, on opposite sides of the table. Sean's chair had his back to the wall. Ben and Liz were bracketing Megan and Martha was beside Liz. David sat beside Martha. BB was beside Ben with Sheila sitting beside him. Seth and Udit were bracketing Sean. Pappy was sitting beside Seth. Laoshin was sitting beside Pappy and Susan beside her. Lian was sitting beside the old Shaman.

The family had discussed the seating arrangement the night before. Sean was surprised when Lian and Laoshin had counted themselves as part of the family, and asked where they should sit.

"Where ever you want, I guess," Sean said with a shrug.

Laoshin immediately turned to Susan and asked, "Would you mind if I sat between you and Pappy-San?"

"Not at all," Susan said with a snicker.

Pappy blushed. They hadn't been quiet about the arrangement. The way Laoshin beamed at him after Susan's acceptance only made him blush more.

"I will sit beside, Udit," Lian announced suddenly. She didn't look at the old Indian. It was just a statement, but it drew everyone's eyes. Lian blushed and said, "Well, I must sit someplace."

"My lady's blushes are more apparent without hair," Laoshin said coyly.

Lian said something sharply in Chinese, or Japanese.

"So you say, my lady. So you say," Laoshin answered with a little smile.

Lian huffed and turned away, but she had a little smile, too. When her eyes caught Udit's, she blushed again.

Everyone was seated before Seth said, "I'd like to introduce everyone to our new guests from the European Council. This is Cory Haney and his, um, his minder, Brennan Sherman."

Sean had already communicated the conversation they had outside to Megan in their silent mode. She decided that she liked the new people.

"Isn't there a tank called a Sherman?" Megan asked innocently.

The Delegation members knew that Megan had already been inside the Ranch Hand Kitchen when the exchange took place outside. Sean hadn't had time to say anything to the girl before he was seated. The girls comment caught them off guard.

It was Cory that broke the silence with a loud guffaw as he slapped his friend on the shoulder.

"The lass has got your number, Bren," Cory chortled.

Brett looked annoyed. They were Wizards on a historic mission. This wasn't the time or place for this tomfoolery.

"Megan," Seth choked out fighting his own laughter. He shook his head. "The young lady with the big mouth is Megan," he said in introduction. That's Ben and Liz sitting beside her. The pretty one is Liz."

The introductions continued in that vein. Brett was beginning to get angry. A solemn occasion such as this deserved more decorum. He cleared his throat in preparation to say something. He didn't get a chance.

"Lian explained what the 'Delegation' decided it needed to do to accomplish the goals of the Councils," Seth said before Brett could say anything.

The American Wizard looked at Seth in irritation before looking at Lian and scowling. Lian just smiled back at him pleasantly.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.