Megan Enraged - Book 2 of Wizard - a Love Story
Chapter 6: Biltmore Attack

Copyright© 2013 by MisguidedChild

Sean noticed Pappy's repeated glances at Laoshin and figured out that he was looking for a response from the woman. He also noticed that Laoshin was aware of Pappy's interest, and was fighting to keep from smiling. She didn't show anything in her expression, but Sean could feel her emotions.

"Pappy, do they use dogs or cats for filling in those chilies?" Sean asked innocently.

Pappy started sputtering incoherently.

Laoshin graced Pappy with a huge smile. "We must complement the cook," she said brightly. "The dog and cat they cook at home is always so stringy. This is really good."

Sean's mouth dropped open in astonishment as his eyes opened wide. " What?" he squawked,"

Pappy looked at Laoshin and then at the expression on Sean's face. He looked back at the woman. When she winked he started laughing. "Finally," he gasped looking back at Sean. "Someone got you for a change."

Lian looked at Pappy curiously and asked, "What do you mean by that?"

Shaking his head and still chuckling, Pappy said, "Sean's always playing a joke on someone. Seth made Sean promise not to use his Wizard tricks when playing practical jokes. Well, Udit wouldn't even talk to Sean Sunday because of a stunt Sean pulled. They didn't make up until breakfast, just before your group showed up on Monday."

"Why wouldn't Udit talk to him," Lian asked startled. This wasn't the information she expected after Sean's glowing praise of the Shaman. This was not the demeanor she was used to seeing around Magi either.

"It's really not important," Sean protested.

"No," Pappy agreed with a grin. "But it was funny." He looked at Lian and said, "Sean sneaked into Udit's room and pinned his moccasins to the rug." He interpreted Laoshin's look of confusion correctly and explained. "Moccasins are soft leather shoes. The whole thing is usually made of soft leather. Udit's feet were effectively tied together with his moccasins pinned to the rug."

Lian looked at Sean then back at Pappy. She remembered the stoic demeanor of the old Indian Shaman. She couldn't help it. She started laughing at the image conjured in her mind.

Sean and Pappy didn't think twice about the Asian Wizard laughing. Everybody laughed sometime, didn't they? Laoshin knew better, and watched her mistress in amazement. Life was certainly strange around this American boy Mage.

"Lian," Sean started hesitantly a little later in the meal. "You and the other Wizards in your delegation know all about me but I don't know anything about the Wizards of the Delegation."

"What do you mean?" Lian asked curiously.

"Well, I assume that you know all about me and what my powers are but I don't know what any of you can do," Sean explained.

"That is true," Lian said thoughtfully. "We have been thoroughly briefed on you. It is only fair that you know something about us. What do you want to know?"

"Well, I am strongest in water but I'm nearly as strong in air and spirit," Sean explained. "What are your primary elements?"

Lian nodded thoughtfully and asked, "Do you have secondary or lesser talents?" She knew the answer but wanted to see how the boy would answer. Lian was trying to get a gauge of the boys integrity.

"I have a little ability with earth. I can detect things in the earth but I can't do anything with them. I can feel fire but I haven't been able to start or stop a fire, or even direct an existing one," Sean said.

Lian nodded again and smiled. The boy did seem to have integrity. "My primary is water, like you," Lian replied. "Also like you, air is a very close second. That is common for water Magi but is not common for a Mage that has air as a primary to also be strong in water. I also have considerable strength in spirit but that is more of a learned strength than an innate strength. I too can sense characteristics of the earth but am not able to manipulate earth. One of my goals is to learn that skill. I can sense fire weaves but that is all. I cannot sense fire at all."

Sean nodded his thanks and asked, "How about the others?"

Lian sat back in her chair and considered if it was her place to divulge information about her colleagues. Sean hadn't had a say in his information being divulged. Lian nodded to herself as a decision was reached.

"Mr. Stevens is a Stone Head, um, his primary power is in Earth. I'm sorry, Sean. Calling him a Stone Head is considered derogatory by some. He has minor abilities in water and spirit," Lian said. "He is ninety-two years old and his secondary powers should be more developed than they are. Dabir's primary power is air but his secondary powers of fire and spirit are well developed. He is a hundred and thirty-one years old and has had a lot of time to develop them. Ethan Jones is strongest in fire and his secondary's are earth, water and spirit. He is only sixty-nine years old but training in his secondary powers is coming along nicely."

Sean sat for a moment in thought as he chewed another bite. The ages had surprised him. Finding out that secondary powers could be trained into something useful was also surprising, and encouraging.

"Would it be rude to ask how old you are, Lian?" Sean asked cautiously.

"It would," the Asian lady said with a smile. "But I understand the reason for the question," Lian continued. "I am one-hundred and seventy-six years old."

Sean sat in shock for a moment before lightly saying, "Well, that would certainly give you time for training." He considered for a moment before making a decision. "Um, Lian, you have nearly the same powers that I have."

"We have similar powers," Lian pointed out drily. "I wouldn't say we have the same powers. Your demonstration of powers on Monday was pretty conclusive that our powers are not the same."

"I did say nearly the same," Sean said defensively as he blushed.

Lian waved his protestation off and asked, "What is your point?"

Sean took a deep breath and let it out slowly as he ran the idea through one more time. He nodded to himself. "I don't know what this Delegation wants and this request may be at cross purposes with the Delegation," he warned.

Lian shrugged and said, "So, I may need to say no, or maybe, or yes, depending on the request. Just ask it."

Sean nodded again before saying, "I would like for you to stay when the Delegation leaves. I would like for you to help Udit train Megan and me."

Lian slowly sat back as she considered Sean. "Why?" she finally asked.

Sean shrugged and said, "Well, our similar abilities for starters. I need someone to help me understand what I'm doing and how to improve."

"It would seem Megan is more in need of assistance than you are," Lian said. Her tone was even and her expression didn't reveal anything. She was actually intrigued by the prospect. "Mr. Stevens may be more appropriate for her since they both have abilities with Earth."

"I didn't say that you would be the only Mage involved with training us," Sean said drily. "Look, I don't need a decision now but, I would appreciate it if you would consider the offer."

"I will consider it very seriously," Lian said with a little smile. This could work out very well for her. One of the goals of the Delegation was embedding one or two of their cadre in the training of the young Magi. Another goal was to separate them, but Lian doubted that would be possible.

The hostess that had seated them, hurriedly approached the table. She was carrying a telephone hand set. "Excuse me," she said as she interrupted their conversation. "Mr. P. Ramirez?"

"That's me," Pappy replied.

Laoshin perked up at the exchange. She had never heard Pappy's family name before.

"Sir, you have an emergency call," the Hostess said, as she plugged a phone cord into a phone jack next to the booth. She handed the phone to Pappy.

"Thank you," Pappy said to the Hostess as he took the phone. He picked up the receiver and said, "Ramirez."

"Pappy," Seth said. "David has detected three men tainted with an unknown Brujo's smell. He thinks the Brujo is in a car in the parking lot. I need Sean back here, now."

"We're on our way," Pappy said before hanging up.

He pulled out his billfold and, after a quick evaluation of what had been ordered, fanned five twenty dollar bills on the table. "There's an emergency and we've got to go," Pappy said to the Hostess. "That should cover the bill, and include a good tip."

"More than enough," the Hostess said with wide eyes. "Just a moment and I'll get your change."

"Keep the change," Pappy said.

Pappy looked at Laoshin and grinned, as he said, "I've always wanted to say that." He was gratified when she smiled back at him.

He looked at Lian and Sean. "David said the visitors we expected have arrived."

Lian and Sean nodded in unison and the four of them hurriedly left the restaurant.

"Sean, whatever happens, we need to keep this quiet," Lian warned. "We can't have a big battle like you did in the mountains."

"Why not?" Sean asked curiously.

"Because, Wizards don't exist," Lian explained with a wince.

"She's right," Pappy said over his shoulder. He was driving with Laoshin in the front, passenger seat. Sean and Lian were in the back seat.

"Remember why we're keeping you secret," Pappy continued. "If the government ever found out about you, well, we don't know what would happen."

"That is the primary issue," Lian agreed.

"But, I thought you said the Councils advise governments," Sean protested.

"Yes, but only as a very influential voting or power block," Lian said drily. "We don't advise as Magi."

"Oh," Sean said quietly. He shrugged and said, "I don't mind keeping it quiet if possible. If someone is in danger though, I won't sacrifice a life for security."

Lian's eyebrows arched and she asked, "You won't? You will stay back, Sean. I will handle whatever needs to happen," she ordered. "You are too important to risk."

Sean was quiet for a moment before saying, "You can take the lead, Lian. But, I will be behind you. My Poppa and my friend are there. I won't risk them. If they're in danger I'll do whatever I need to do."

The Asian Sorceress started to say more but Sean interrupted.

"I'll try to keep things quiet," Sean said meeting her eye-to-eye. "But, I won't risk them for the sake of keeping things quiet."

Lian sighed and sat back in her seat. She must protect this young Mage and she must protect the other Wizards. Sometime she felt like she was juggling one too many knives.

"Laoshin, you will stay with Sean," Lian ordered. "Keep him safe. Pappy, would you stay with him too?" At Pappy's nod she continued with, "Please don't fire your weapon unless his life is in danger. We don't want the attention if there is any way to avoid it."

Pappy nodded again but said, "If I know Sean, we'll be right behind you. Sean means what he says, ma'am. We'll all be protecting each other." He noticed, out of the corner of his eye, that Laoshin nodded in approval and had a determined set to her jaw.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.