Accidental Attraction - Cover

Accidental Attraction

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 19

Sunday arrived. Reg wore the same outfit as he had for the last visit to the Davies's. Ron appeared in a shirt and tie with brown trousers and a tweed jacket. Daphne wore a simple floral dress. Reg had never seen them dressed up like this. Daphne got the giggles.

"I have to give it to you, Ron dear," she said. "Those clothes still fit you but turn-ups?"

"I'm ahead of the fashion. You wait. They'll be back in next year."

"Yes, dear," said Daphne and giggled some more.

They were greeted warmly. Eleanor kissed Ron and Daphne and then hugged Reg as though she had not seen him for six months.

Conversation was a little stilted to start with but soon picked up speed. David and Ron found a common interest in Rugby Football, the only difference being that David was a Union man and Ron a League man. They both good naturedly argued the pros and cons of the different rules. Bridget and Daphne disappeared to the kitchen. Reg and Eleanor sat on the sofa hand in hand and talked softly, almost oblivious to anyone else.

During lunch the wedding inevitably came up.

"What sort of a wedding do you want? Large? Small? Reception?" asked David.

"Not a great big church miles away. We ought to be able to get families and friends into the village church," replied Eleanor.

"OK. What about the reception?"

"Could we have a marquee here in the garden?"

"Yes of course. Music?"

"No thanks, David," chipped in Reg. "We don't want one of those all night affairs with a lot of people getting tight."

David smiled. "Man after my own heart," he said. "Did you have to be firm with her?"

"Daddy!"

"No," said Reg carelessly. "The threat of a smacked bot did the trick."

"Ooh you!" and a biff on the arm was Eleanor's rejoinder. The parents all laughed.

Reg and Eleanor took the opportunity to give each other a quick, smiling peck on the lips.

"When?" asked Bridget.

"Soon," replied Eleanor, "but we need to find somewhere to live first so a couple of months after that I suppose."

"That sounds sensible. Any idea where you want to live?"

"Not really," said Reg, "but we would like to be out of the town and of course it can't be too far away because we've got to be able to get into work."

"I don't suppose you've thought about a honeymoon yet," said Ron.

"Not really, Dad, but we don't want to go to any of the posh, fashionable places. Somewhere where we can do a bit of walking."

"Will your knee be up to it, Reggie?" Daphne asked anxiously.

"Yes, Mum. It should be fine in a couple of months."

"Unless you go and fall down the stairs again," grinned Eleanor.

"I'll try not to."

"You better had."

Ron and Daphne left soon after lunch. Reg and Eleanor could not bear the thought of being parted so early in the day and decided to go for a walk with Eleanor taking him home later. They both helped clear the table and load the dishwasher first though.

Back at work the following day Reg, with the aid of a road atlas started to plot various distribution routes along with likely loads based on the last year's deliveries. Despite physiotherapy on Monday and Wednesday he was able to show it to Ray on Thursday morning. Ray was pleased.

"Have you tested the plan on customers yet?" he asked.

"No. I thought I'd ring round and chat to them first. At least we'd get a first reaction that way. It could be weeks before we got replies to emails or letters."

"Good thinking, Reg. Give me a heads up on Friday afternoon. I plan to give Dobsons' three months' notice on Monday and then I think we need to get your Mr Hornbeam in."

"I don't know whether Eleanor told you what he said about Dobsons'."

"No she didn't."

"He said that Harry, the father, is all right but now out of his depth but Malcolm, the elder son, he wouldn't trust an inch. It may be that he's just a cheat and dishonest but I got the feeling that skulduggery isn't beyond him."

"What are you suggesting?"

"That he might try to sabotage us in some way to get his own back."

"That's a pretty serious accusation."

"Yes but I think it might be worth mentioning it to Will and see what he thinks. He might think that his depot could be at risk too."

"Even more so. Reg, give him a ring today and talk to him both about that and coming to hear our proposal next week."

"OK."

Reg did that straightaway before he became involved with customers and forgot.

Will did not beat about the bush. "We'd be very interested in doing your distribution," he said, "and what you say about Malcolm Dobson could well be right. He might have a go at you out of spite and as a warning to his other customers but if we do get your contract he might well try and come after us. He'd be pushed because we have a security patrol. Thanks, Reg, for considering us and offering me lunch. I'll see you on Tuesday at eleven."

Ray looked grim. "I need to discuss this with the boss," he said.

Eleanor had of course heard one side of Reg's conversation with Will and was agog. Reg told her. There was a pause while she looked at him.

"Oh, Reg! You've done it again, my darling. Well done!"

Her eyes sparkled. "If Ray wasn't so strict about unseemly behaviour at the workplace I'd give you a kiss but I'm going to have to store it up for later." She chuckled. "By which time it may have built up a head of steam or it may have fizzled out."

"Not worried. There'll be so much more to kiss me for by then anyway."

"Ooh you!"

"And vice versa."

She laughed. "Long lunch break!"

"I hope we have time to eat!"

Derisive snort but they both went back to work.

Ray went to see David.

"This is pretty serious stuff," said the latter. "Any suggestions?"

"Well, two ideas came to mind, both of which will cost."

"They always do. Go on."

"We could probably organise our own security from the workforce. That would be the cheaper option but we would probably be in breach of Health and Safety and some of the guys, not to mention their wives, would be against it. On the other hand I'd bet a number would relish the thought of having a duffy with someone from Dobsons', particularly frustrated warehouse staff."

"Led by my son-in-law to be."

"Your daughter wouldn't let him."

Both men chuckled.

"Knowing Boadicea..." grinned David.

They both laughed again.

"The other option is to hire a security firm."

"I think we must. At least they'd be accredited and we wouldn't be counter-sued by Dobsons' for undue force or whatever."

"OK. I'll ask Will Hornbeam who they use on Tuesday. We may not have time to go through tender processes."

"No. Do that, Ray."

"Wilco."

David sat silently for a few minutes. It was early days but it looked as though Eleanor really had picked a good one. He liked the boy too.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.