Accidental Attraction - Cover

Accidental Attraction

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 11

Two days passed. Two miserable people lived them. Both longed to contact the other but pride prevented them. Reg had said his piece which he had felt justified about. Eleanor had said hers and still felt that Reg was being wet, unambitious more than anything else but his class consciousness, so thoroughly out of date, still irked her. Each missed the other but neither was going to lose face by admitting it.

Reg was already realising that doing things on his own was not easy, particularly re-bandaging his knee and ankles after a shower. Even using a stick moving a plate to the table was awkward. Nevertheless he persevered and did actually feel quite pleased at his self-sufficiency. That did not detract from his loneliness or from the absence of the banter and laughter that he had been enjoying. He tried to shrug it off but it did not really work.

Eleanor was going through much the same emotions. She had no physical problems but she was missing the fun of being with Reg and, she quickly realised, his ready practical input to her project.

On Thursday morning Reg had come downstairs for one of Daphne's breakfasts: bacon and eggs, fried bread, fried tomatoes and, as bulk, sauté potatoes. He would not allow her to clear up and did it all himself glorying in the fact that using just a stick as opposed to crutches he could do it.

He went back upstairs to shower and dress. That all went to plan and he started back down the stairs using only his stick and the banister rail. Quarter of the way down he missed the next step with his stick, lost his balance and tumbled the rest of the way.

Every injury in his left leg sprang to painful life. His left forearm really hurt. So did that shoulder, his ribs and his left hip. He tried to stand up but it was hopeless. So was crawling. The pain in his left leg was too much. He groped for his phone in his right hand pocket and called for an ambulance.

He then realised that he needed someone to let the ambulance team in. Daphne would take at least twenty minutes, Eleanor between five and ten. He hesitated briefly to swallow his pride and rang Eleanor.

"Eleanor, it's Reg."

"Hallo." It sounded distinctly cool.

"I've had an accident and called the ambulance. Could you come and let them in."

"Oh God! Yes, Reg! On my way!"

She beat the ambulance easily and saw Reg lying at the foot of the stairs as soon as she came through the front door. She fell to her knees beside his head. She reached out and tentatively touched his cheek.

"Oh, my poor Reg," she whispered. "Where are you hurt?"

"Left leg, left arm and the left side of my head. Can't get up."

She took his right hand in both of hers, bent forward and kissed his cheek. A tear fell on it. She was at a loss to know what to do or say but at that moment heard the ambulance's siren. She rushed to the front door and opened it wide.

"He fell down stairs," she said to the leader of the team. "His left leg was already in a bad state and is now worse. The whole of his left side hurts, particularly his arm."

"OK, miss. Thanks."

The team was quick and efficient although there were some gasps from Reg.

"He's broken his arm by the look of it," the team leader said as they carried him out."

Eleanor winced. "I'll ring his mother and we'll follow you down."

"OK."

They were gone.

Eleanor rang Daphne and told her the news. Once she had overcome her shock she was remarkably down to earth.

"Thanks for letting me know, Eleanor," she said. "He'll be in A&E for a while and then drugged to the eyeballs with painkillers so I'll pop in at lunchtime and then again after work."

Eleanor realised how sensible Daphne was being but knew that she would achieve nothing if she went back to the office. She would just sit there and fret. On the other hand, she did owe Ray an explanation of why she had suddenly fled and to make sure he was not unhappy about her going on to the hospital. DRD was on her way so she called in. Ray was sympathetic and understanding.

She clocked in at A&E and then went to sit down and wait. It was another hour before a nurse appeared and then, discovering that Eleanor was not next of kin or a blood relative, refused to divulge any information.

"His mother will be coming in in a couple of hours or so," replied Eleanor. "Do you mean to say that I've got to sit here for two hours to hear what has happened to my boyfriend?"

"I'm afraid so. It's the regulations."

"That's ridiculous. I'm going to hear what his mother is told first hand but I've got to wait two hours to find out and then when his mother does arrive we'll both be told we can't see him until visiting hours."

The nurse nodded although she did look sympathetic. "I'll have a word with doctor," she said.

"Thank you, "said Eleanor quietly but managing a warm smile.

Ten minutes later Mr Renfrew appeared and smiled at her. "I might have known that when Mr Woolstencroft returned a certain young lady would not be far behind."

Eleanor beamed with pleasure. "Oh!" she exclaimed. "I'm so glad that he's in your care again."

Mr Renfrew grinned. "At the rate he keeps damaging himself I'm never going to get away from him. Anyway, his left leg took another pasting but with all the bandages he's got away with less than he might but it's now back to the state it was in a week before we discharged him. His face is badly bruised again and has some carpet burns but I'm afraid that this time he's broken his left arm. It was a nice clean break I'm happy to say so there's no need for a pin and we've merely put his arm in plaster. We'll keep him in overnight but will probably release him tomorrow."

"Thank you, Mr Renfrew, for telling me. Am I..."

"Yes, Miss Davies. Special privileges for devoted nurses. Sister and Anita told me what you've been doing for him."

Eleanor blushed with pleasure and Mr Renfrew smiled. "Go on," he said. "Same ward; probably the same bed."

Eleanor went up to the ward and was welcomed with smiles by the staff. Reg was indeed in the same bed. There was no tent this time but there was an i.v. line going to his right arm. He was asleep. She moved her chair from its former position to the other side of the bed so that she could reach his right hand. Before she sat down she gave him a tender kiss on his forehead, his cheek and finally his lips. Then she took his hand. She kissed the back of that too. Then she sat and gazed at him. She studied his face. He could not be called handsome but he was quite good looking. Everything was in proportion: his wide set eyes, intelligent forehead, straight nose, firm chin and his lips that were so ready to smile. 'And very kissable, ' she thought.

Her mind moved back to their parting and she winced at the thought of her cruel words. He had been right to tell her to leave. She hoped with all her heart that he would forgive her and take her back. The last three days had been misery. She mentally kicked herself at her cold tone of voice when he had rung her earlier in the morning. She just hoped that he had noticed the concern and affection in it when she arrived at his house. He probably was not thinking very clearly. She kissed his hand again.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.