A Second Chance - Cover

A Second Chance

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 41

"Hello?"

"Gieves and Hawkes?"

"I have several suits I can't pick up for awhile."

"David Austin."

"Yes ... Carte Blanche."

"How long will you keep them for me?"

"Oh ... I have to return to the States."

"Until called for?"

"I don't know."

"No, sir ... I have no idea."

"My Dad called and told me to get home the fastest way I can."

"Probably by air."

"Is there a storage charge?"

"Thank you, my mind will rest easy."

The fastest way home was four first class seats from London Airport to Idlewild in New York by a Pan American World Airways DC-7C. The four engined aircraft was crewed by 2 pilots, a flight engineer and four flight attendants. With a cruise of 359 miles per hour, the aircraft had a 5,600 mile range and without the head winds experienced during the flight, the craft should have made the three thousand mile journey in under 10 hours. The other passengers and I suffered through 90 to 120 mph jet stream winds that slowed the flight to more than 12 hours. The 3400 horsepower Curtiss Wright engines were very noisy and the 56 passengers were past glad to get off in New York, in 12 hours and 20 min. Amber was thrilled with the flight.

The boat was more fun.

It seemed odd to the staff that three minors were flying across the Atlantic with an 18 year old chaperone ... but the tickets were paid for ... passports were valid and they accepted us.

New York was a whole other story. They tried to put us in the foster system ... but we had parents and Amber was engaged.

Sally was 18 and could be legally responsible. The crowning glory was the visit by a prestigious New York law firm with suit papers in hand. They were accompanied by the FBI ... the FBI handles kidnapping cases and that's what they were ready to charge everyone with ... including the judge ... if they didn't release us. Seven hours after we landed in New York we were on a Capitol Airways DC-4 heading to Lansing.

As we were leaving the New York court system, the lead agent shook my hand and said, "Tell your Dad, thanks for the heads up. Other children have disappeared in New York after deplaning and no one seemed to know anything about it."

The investigation took several years but the bottom of the hole was found and the tiptop too. Big scandal ... many arrests ... children recovered and returned to their responsible guardians ... all sorts of trouble ... New York is used to it. We didn't find out about it for years.

Daddy met me at the airport ... with several local, county and state police. We removed from the runway to one of several vacant conference rooms. I sat ... daddy sat next to me. The officers sat or stood as they chose. Two officers took what could only be called adversarial stances. One was a typical failed halfback ... an ex-high school bully who couldn't keep a real job. The other one was just fat.

"They found Charley," Daddy said.

"He's alright?"

"I guess I'd better let these fellas tell you."

Uh-oh, not good.

The fat one started it. He took a intimidating step forward. "David, can you account for every second of the time you were anchored off Bass Lake?"

"I doubt it."

"You mean you can't?" The bully exclaimed.

"Mom was there, daddy was there ... but they were asleep ... I assume they were. I know I was, but witnesses? Unless there was someone on the beach watching our boat ... I doubt it. I can only assume you have found CharleyB, and it's not good."

"What makes you say that?" Fatty asked.

"Gentlemen ... I am not stupid. Even though I'm fifteen, I Am a college graduate. You don't have to be a scientist to add two and two. Charles must be dead or you wouldn't be here."

"Your mother says you left the boat." Bully said.

I was ... shocked ... to say the least.

Daddy puffed up..."Where and when did you question my wife? Did she have an attorney present? I warn you now ... in the presence of these witnesses I will demand full disclosure. You might as well tell me now."

One of the State detectives started and stumbled. These men were not used to having a lawyer present. "Mr. Austin ... We don't ... Shit ... we do too ... Damn it all. Traverse City Mental Hospital. A week ago."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.