A Second Chance - Cover

A Second Chance

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 36

Amazing isn't it. We're halfway across the channel and I get a radiogram. I had to go the the radio shack to get it.

Identification confirmed, the operator handed me the sheet.

DAVID AUSTIN ONBOARD TWICKENHAM FERRY STOP

WHO WINS FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP? STOP

MANY $$ DEPOSITED TO CB ACCOUNT STOP

HOME SOON? STOP

BUFFAT /END

How the fuck did he know where I was?

"Response, sir?" asked the radio operator.

"Yes."

He handed me a standard Western Union pad.

WILLIAM BUFFAT OMAHA /

NYG 47 BEARS 7/

SAME DEAL?/

AUSTIN/

"Send that," I said.

"Yes, Sir." He started thumbing his key. He sent two radiograms.

"Sent one to your bookie, I see. Do you do that often?"

He turned brilliant red and looked up. "You read code?"

"W8PSY."

Starting in 1951, Ham Operators, Amateur Telegraphists using government authorized Radio waves to transmit signals to other Amateur Telegraphists, in the states have call signs issued by the FCC. Before the Feds stepped in, call signs were issued according to 'fist' speed (Fist speed is how fast a person can transmit Morse Code) and state or area of residence. 'W' designated excellent 'fist'... '8' is Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. 'PSY' means the 'HAM' was licensed very early in the development of 'wireless telegraphy'. The more letters there are after the state designator, the more recent the license. Three letter licenses were issued sometime before 1920.

It's my Dad who is the HAM, I ride his coattails. Hey ... it's what he calls it.

"I've chatted with you," the operator exclaimed. He fumbled in a drawer and hauled out one of our cards.

"That's me and my dad."

"G3GKPZ," he mumbled. He fumbled some more and fished out his Calling Card. "I get behind on my obligations." He signed it and handed it to me. In a notebook he wrote, CQ Card to W8PSY.

CQ is a code used by wireless operators, particularly those communicating in Morse code, (dash dot dash dot, C, pause, dash dash dot dash, Q.), but also by voice operators, to make a general call (called a CQ call). Transmitting the letters CQ on a particular radio frequency is an invitation for any operators listening on that frequency to respond. It is still widely used in amateur radio. Wiki.

Late at night, when the 'ionosphere bounce' was in, Daddy could be heard transmitting, "CQ CQ CQ. W8PSY looking around for a call." He'd transmit it over and over until he got a response or fell asleep.

It's not obligatory that 'HAM's' exchange call-sign cards but it is common courtesy.

The 'HAM SHACK' in our basement in Saint Johns is a wonderland of tubes, general electronics junk and old dials with an assortment of surplus military communications equipment. One whole wall is pinned several layers deep with CQ Calling Cards from all over the world.

Daddy owns three power poles for his antenna array and a fourth pole with its own transformer for the power feed off the 'high line'. We have more electrical power in our basement than most manufacturing plants use to run their machinery.

The operator and I spent time going over the quality of tubes manufactured in different countries. He handed me a 6L6GC that was a thing of beauty... "Russia," was all he said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.