A Second Chance
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

We graduated on the 16th ... with that most odd of all engineering degrees ... Engineering Math. In none of my former recollections do I ever recall such a beast. We weren't mathematicians but we weren't engineers either. I do believe we were being set up. Whether there was a fall soon to be involved I knew not. We both liked Dr. Patil.

You have to understand ... this was all unplowed ground. Things like the Derby, the Indy 500, Pro Football still had the same results but I had no idea where my life was going.

We, the graduates, were the first to graduate from the Michigan State University of Agriculture and Applied Science ... MSU. In the last life I coasted through school, just doing enough to keep the teachers off my ass but not so well as to destroy the grading curve.

This time, my sister was beautiful ... we had Master's degrees in English Lit and a BME in Math Engineering ... but ... we were 14 ... and considered 'odd.'

I had money ... but I lived at home.

I had a huge house in the country ... but I lived at home.

My sister and I had learned to fly ... simply because I could afford it but we were too young to fly alone.

I was at a loss ... what on earth could I do for the summer? Too young to get a job ... thank you very much Michigan State Legislature.

"Grace?"

"David?"

'Switch.' I thought.

'Ok.'

'Got any ideas?'

'For what?'

'The summer.'

'Oh ... it is summer.'

'Yes ... dummy.'

We both laughed.

"Mom! They're doing it again," Charles had learned we were staying for the summer and was determined to be a pest.

"Doing what, dear?"

"Laughing at me."

"David, Grace ... don't pick on your brother."

"We weren't, mom."

"Were too."

We decided to just ignore him.

'Pestilent ass, ' Grace thought at me.

I knew she wasn't referring to me... 'Yes. Buy you a chocolate coke at the Sweet Shop?'

'Chocolate cherry?'

Chocolate Cherry coke from the Main Street Greek candy makers was her favorite. "Mom? David and I are going for a walk."

"Are you going downtown?"

"Yes." Damn it.

"Take your brother." Chuck stuck out his tongue.

Damn it.

"Does he have any money?" This never works but I keep trying.

"It won't hurt you to buy him something."

"MOM!"

"David ... if you're going to spend money on your sister, you can spend money on your brother."

I'll never understand moms. It's my money ... some time ago it became Charlie's money too.

I mumbled ... but it was loud enough for her to hear ... she did stick her head in the dining room. I said ... sotto voce... "But I like my sister."

"David ... if you're going to be like that you can't go."

Drat ... she heard me. "Ok ... ok ... ok ... come on Chuck."

I thought to my sister, 'Think we can get away with pushing him out in traffic?'

'That's a great idea ... we'll see what the situation is when we get to the highway.'

"Mom! They're laughing again!"

"Twins! Behave."

"CharleyB ... let's go."

"I need my jacket."

He rummaged around in the closet. He exited without it.

"Mom? Where's my jacket?"

"I imagine it's wherever you dropped it."

"Why didn't you put it away?"

"Lincoln freed the slaves."

"What's that mean?"

"It means I don't have to pick up after you."

"You pick up after Daddy."

"That's different."

"How is that different?"

"I entered into a term of servitude with your father when I married him. We have a mutual agreement."

"Oh ... what's that?"

"Yes, Vera ... explain." Daddy came up from his new office in the basement. Mom jumped a mile.

She turned bright red but recovered..."Are you sure you want me to explain?"

"Yes ... it sounds interesting," Daddy said.

Grace and I were all ears.

"Very Well. Daddy and I have a written agreement ... it's called a Marriage License ... I look after your dad and he looks after me. I supply him with the comfort of my body..."

"Ah ... Vera?"

"And he pays me."

Charlie turned to Grace and me, "Do you provide comfort, Grace? He pays you."

"Charles! Go to your room!"

"But I want to go down town ... I want a coke!!"

"Charles!"

Charlie was well on his way to his lifetime weight ... three hundred pounds. He threw himself on the floor and had a fit.

We left.

Our house ... and daddy's law office ... were on Linden Boulevard. There was an actual grass strip separating the traffic lanes. We walked straight across the Boulevard to the Court House Lawn and catty-cornered west and north to the east steps down to the traffic light.

We waited for the light ... it was Saturday. Saturday in June traffic was heavy. Traffic all summer was always heavy on the weekend. The young possessors of automobiles spent Friday night, Saturday day and night and Sunday afternoon driving up and down the five blocks of Main Street ... dragging Main. At the bottom of Main Street hill is the C&O rail crossing. The drivers make a u turn around the RR Crossing signal and drive up the hill to the highway.

For years it was a US highway ... US 27 ... and the only reasonable way north. It was also Michigan 21 ... the best way to get from one side of the state to the other. For a long time the traffic light was the only traffic light in our little town.

The Main draggers turn either left or right and head one block either east or one block west ... drive one block ... turn again to get back on Main and repeat ... until the bars let out ... then it's not safe for anybody.

The light turned ... we crossed ... looking both ways ... light runners are not unknown. We walked past the Corner Cafe, the Western Auto store ... the WA has a nice looking military rifle in the window with a price tag that read $17.50+ tax ... with ammunition. We passed a dentist, a bail bondsman and a couple of hallways leading to apartments over the stores. We turned into Pappas' Sweet Shop. They made candy ... the best chocolate in the central part of the state. George knew us.

"Hello George."

"Miss Austin ... and David. Welcome. Booth, table or counter?"

On the south side of the store ... the Court House side ... was the candy counter. The north side was the high soda bar. The soda bar was all carved white marble with silver soda hydrants. Behind the bar was a counter with glass covered displays of homemade goodies. Rice Crispy cakes, real donuts and assorted éclairs filled with vanilla, coffee or chocolate custard ... or whipped cream. They were iced with a fondant topping. A couple of times a year, George's mom made them with caramel and George called them bâton de Jacob. My mother's favorite. They sold out right away.

Behind that was an oak framed mirror that was in four panels. Across the top was Coca Cola. America's Drink in gold foil. The carved marble front read The Sweet Shoppe in a rococo style. The booths were heavy walnut and the tables were white ceramic round tops with ceramic coated welded wire stands. They came with matching chairs. In the middle at the back was a huge jukebox. There were several couples dancing to what ever was the latest hits. Jitterbugging.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.