Getting By
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2013 by SW MO Hermit

Pete sat in the small park alongside the Current River. His mind was nearly blank. He was listening to the laughing screaming children as they ran back and forth playing. Conversations around him provided a quieter background to the noise of the playing children. He watched the children run and play and smiled at their antics. Their laughter and screams of pleasure transported him back in time to when his two were young and playing in this very same park when he and Cindy brought them home for similar July 4th celebrations. The years had seemed to fly past. He remembered when he was a child and playing in this same park during community picnic's and celebrations. He had just celebrated his 46th birthday last month. He wondered where the time had gone.

Emily walked up beside him and sat down in one of the chairs he had placed earlier. Closely behind Emily came Jack and their children, now grown as were Pete's. Pete looked at them and smiled then said, "I was beginning to think you had gotten lost. Where are Slim, DD and their crew?"

Jack laughed and said, "We almost did get lost. I think the traffic and crowd gets worse every year. I think next year I'll just come down here like you did and miss the parade. Let all those other fools stand in the hot sun on hard concrete watching everyone march or drive by. Hell, you can see almost all the parade here anyway since it ends here."

Emily punched him in the arm and said, "You'll do no such thing and you know it. You have to see the grandbabies doing their thing." Emily looked up and smiled then stood and waved. She yelled, "Hey guys. Here we are."

Jack and Pete turned to look in the direction she was looking and saw the rest of their immediate friends walking toward them. After everyone had placed their chairs and coolers they got down to some serious laughter and conversation.

Emily looked up at Pete and said, "So, what's this I hear about Randy? Are the rumors true?"

Pete smiled and proudly said, "Yep. I got back from Pensacola a couple of days ago. He's now an Ensign, US Navy. I knew he had been taking night college courses for years and was super proud when he finally got his degree. The little asshole didn't tell me he had been selected for Officer's Candidate School until a week before his commissioning. I had to leave three days after he called to get there in time for the commissioning. I have pictures of the ceremony and Joanie pinning on the new rank. It took him almost 9 years to get his degree and the commission but I couldn't be any more proud of him. Joanie is about to pop her buttons she's so proud of him. I was proud of him for making Chief Petty Officer in eight years but this is even better."

"What does Cindy say about it?"

Pete looked over at Emily with a blank expression. He frowned and said, "I have no idea. Apparently she was too busy to come to the commissioning. Randy said he called her to invite her but she wasn't home. He left a message on her machine but she didn't show and never even called. As of the date of commissioning he hadn't even heard from her."

Emily looked upset. She touched Pete's arm gently and said, "Oh, Pete. I'm so sorry. I know better than stir up bad memories but damn. I can't believe Cindy would act this way to her own son. I know how much he must be hurting from her actions. The next time you talk to him you be sure to tell him how proud we are of him and give him our congratulations."

Pete nodded his head and turned to watch the officials guiding the old vehicles that had been in the parade into their parking positions. He would soon have to go look at all the old cars and trucks. He was in the middle of a frame off restoration of a numbers matching true 1967 Chevelle Super Sport. In his spare time he was completing a dream he had when he was young. He had always wanted one of the SS's but had been too poor to get one when they were new. Now he could and by golly he did.

After lunch Pete grabbed a beer and wandered off. He made a tour of the booths and then headed for the car show. He was almost through the entire show when he came to an old faded 1967 Malibu sitting under a tree on the back row. There was a surprisingly good looking woman in her early 40's he guessed sitting beside it.

Pete moved closer to the car and bent over being careful not to touch it. It had a 283 cid engine with a power glide in the floor, bucket seats. From its looks it was a true survivor. There was no evidence it had ever been restored or had body damage repaired. Pete smiled over at the woman watching him examine the car. He said, "Nice. It looks like a survivor. You've got it cleaned up really well. I used to dream about having a car like this one except I wanted the SS version. One of the families here in town owned one just like this when I was young. I used to watch it drive down the street and almost die of jealousy. I haven't seen you around here before though. You drive far to get here?"

The woman smiled again and stood. She walked over beside Pete and said, "No. I live here now. From what you say I bet this is the car you drooled over when you were young. It was my father's. I moved back last fall to teach at the school. I'm living with mother and the old car was still in the garage. She hadn't driven it in years. It was Daddy's car and when he died she couldn't bear to part with it but she had her own car she drove daily so just left his sit in the garage.

"I needed something to help fill my spare time and get my mind off my problems when I came home so I began working cleaning the old car up. After I got it clean and running Mom gave it to me."

Pete smiled and said, "Becky? Are you Becky Livingston? Jesus I haven't seen you since I left for college. You sure have changed a lot."

The woman looked at Pete and smiled once again. She nodded he head yes and said, "Yep. That's me. Or at least I used to be. I got married to Sherman Potter and kept the name after we divorced."

"Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised." Pete stumbled and hurriedly continued talking. "I mean about not recognizing you. Not the divorce. I'm sorry. I know how that must have hurt. I think you were still in Jr. High School when I left home. You're what, 37 or 38 now?"

Becky laughed and laid her hand gently on Pete's forearm. She smiled once again and said, "Boy you're a smooth tongued devil aren't you? I was 40 in June."

Pete hurriedly changed the subject back to cars. He said, "I sort of know what you mean about needing to fill in your spare time. I moved home a little over two years ago after my divorce. I spent the first six months or so helping Dad on the farm feeling sorry for myself and drinking way too much. After several one sided conversations with my mother and a couple of friends wives I decided I had to do something to fill my time in also. I didn't want to work full time and I sure didn't want to just sit around and get fatter so I found a part time job doing taxes for the Stiles accounting firm and I bought my dream car to work on in my spare time.

"I'm about half done with a frame off restoration of a true 67 Chevelle SS. It's even numbers matching."

"Wow. Cool." She looked around and frowned slightly then continued, "Where is it? I walked through the cars earlier and I didn't see it."

Pete smiled and said, "Its home. The interior is still ratty and I haven't painted the body yet. I have it running like a top and the frame is powder coated. I have part of the body back on the frame but there is still a heck of a lot of work to do before I let anyone see it. In fact the fenders, grill, hood and trunk lid are still lying on the floor."

Pete sat visiting with Becky for over an hour before he reluctantly told her he needed to get back to his friends. After he stood to leave he hesitated for a moment then said, "I still live out at the folks place. They sort of need help and I suppose I just never got around to finding a place in town. I am working on the car in the shop there. If you wanted to come out and see it someday I'd be happy to show it to you."

Becky smiled and said, "I'd love to. What are you doing Saturday? Got time to do a show and tell then?"

"Heck yeah. I'll probably just be messing around, probably doing a little work on the old car anyway. Come on out. Ya know how to find me?"

Becky laughed and said, "Come on Pete. Your family's been around here as long as mine has. What do you think? If I can't remember how to get to your place I know Mom does. I'll just have to ask her."

Pete laughed and said, "Yeah, guess that's right. I know where you live so why wouldn't you know where I live? See ya Saturday."

Pete was about ten feet away when he heard Becky yell, "Hey Pete!"

He stopped and turned toward her. She had her phone out and said, "What's your number in case I need to call? Or do you have a cell? I guess I can call your house."

Pete smiled and said, "Heck, I didn't even think of that. It's 314-267-7778."

Becky smiled and said thanks as she punched his number into her phone. Pete started to ask for her number when his phone rang. It rang twice then stopped. He glanced at the number and didn't recognize it so put it back in his pocket. He started to again ask Becky for her number when she said, "There. Now you have my number if you need me."

"OH. I'm dense I guess. I didn't recognize the number and was going to ask you for yours too." Pete looked puzzled and continued, "I guess you can tell I'm not very good at this phone number and getting together thing. Sorry."

Becky laughed and said, "I hadn't noticed. I mean it sure didn't take you long to try to get me to come to your house now did it? And you seem to have the right bait too."

To his mortification Pete felt his face heat up. He quickly turned and almost trotted off. He said over his shoulder, "Well, gotta go. See ya Saturday."

Becky stood watching him hurry off with a frown of her face. She wondered if she had said something wrong.

When Pete got back to his friends Emily looked up and said, "There he is! Damn Pete we thought we were going to have to send out a search party for you. What happened? Did some horny female jump your bones?"

Pete once again felt himself blush. He stammered, "NO! I was just looking at the old cars and talking to some of the owners."

DD saw Pete's red face and laughed. He almost yelled, "Whoa Dude. Who is she? Look at his face everyone. I think our Pete HAS been flirting with some female. Come on dude you can tell us."

"Look asshole I wasn't flirting. I just ran into Becky Livingston at the car show. She has her Dad's old Chevelle over there and we talked cars for a while. That's all."

The three women looked at each other with small smiles. Dottie, the youngest of the three said, "Pete you need to be careful with Beck. She's doing better now but she was hurt awfully bad. Have you heard about her?"

"No, what do you mean?"

"Well, you know she and Sherman Potter had twins. The kids were 16 when her son had a car wreck on the way to school one morning. His sister was in the front seat with him and didn't have her seat belt on. She was thrown from the car and didn't make it. Sherman couldn't handle everything and blamed Becky for the accident and their daughter's death. They went to the same school Becky taught at and he blamed her for letting them drive instead of making them ride to school with her when she went to work. He began beating her. The third time she ended up in the hospital she filed charges on him and divorced him. He went to prison for assault and she moved home. She doesn't socialize much and doesn't even have many friends around any longer either. Her son went into the Army and they don't see each other much now."

"Oh. She didn't say anything about that; only that she was divorced and worked on the car to fill her empty time."

The next evening, Friday, Pete was at the local grocery store picking up some things for his mother when he saw Becky and a very frail, unsteady looking older woman. Their shopping cart had several groceries in it already. He assumed the woman was Becky's mother. He debated for a moment then walked up and said, "Hi Becky. How are you doing?"

Becky's head jerked around rapidly. She looked startled then she smiled when she recognized Pete. She said, "Hi Pete. You startled me." She gestured toward the older woman with her and said, "Do you remember my mother Irma? Mom this is Pete Youngblood."

The three stood and visited for a short while then Pete said, "I really need to be going. Mom sent me in for some things she said she needed before she finished supper." He looked at Becky and continued, "Are you still coming out to see the old car in the morning? I'll probably be in the shop after about 8:30 or 9:00."

"You're sure it won't be a bother? I would really like to see it if I won't be in the way."

"No. I'd like to show her off if you're really interested."

Pete had only been working on the old car for a few minutes when he heard a car crunching the gravel of the driveway. He looked up and smiled. Not only was Becky here but she had driven her old 67! He walked out to meet her with a smile on his face.

After their greeting Becky stepped past Pete and headed for the garage. She stopped about five feet from the left front tire of his car and put her hands on her hips. She gave the car a careful look over then walked up to look in the driver's window. After giving the interior a close look she stood and faced Pete.

Becky smiled and said, "You sure have your work cut out for you still. I see what you mean about the inside too. It is pretty ratty. What're you doing today?"

"I'm block sanding today. In a couple of weeks I hope to have it all painted so I can put the body back together and get started on the interior. I'm getting anxious to get her done so I can take her to shows."

"Cool. Ya want some help? I think I can sand and I really need to learn how to do it if I can't. I want to redo the paint on my old car as soon as I can find the money and someone to help me spray it."

Pete protested with Becky about her helping. Finally she said, "Look Pete. If I didn't want to help I wouldn't have offered. I like to work on old cars. I followed daddy around the garage when I was a girl and learned a lot from him before he got sick and had to close it. If you just don't want me to help for some reason fine but if you're just being polite forget it. I really do want to help or I wouldn't have offered ok?"

Pete felt a lurch in his stomach when Becky began haranguing him. He said, "Whoa, I'm sorry Becks. I don't mind the help if you really mean it. I just didn't want to take advantage of you is all."

Becky smiled and said, "Ok then. Whatcha want me to do boss?"

Pete thought a moment then suggested a task for Becky to do. The two new friends worked quietly and carefully on the old car. There was very little conversation and most of what there was related to the job. They were both surprised when Pete's mother came into the garage. She said, "Pete what's the matter with you? I've called you three times now for lunch." She looked at Becky in surprise and then said, "Well who's this? Hi, I'm Pete's mother Pauline. Would you like to have lunch with us also? I made plenty. We're having fried chicken and the rest of the trimmings today. I always make a lot."

Becky introduced herself and then said, "Thank you for the offer. I really couldn't impose on you like that. Besides I really should be getting home. I only planned to come see the old car and I got carried away helping."

After a short conversation Pauline had browbeat Becky into eating with them. They all had a pleasant conversation over the meal and to Pauline's disgust Becky insisted on helping with the clean up after the meal. Pete and his father sat in the living room and listened to the drone of female voices and occasional laughter coming from the kitchen.

Pete's father looked at him and said, "You be careful there son. That girl's had a real tough time. She doesn't need any more hurting now."

"Yeah, I heard Dad. Emily and the girls filled me in. I just met her again July 4th and she wanted to see my old car. I think she needed to be doing something today. She's worried about her mother and still hurting from her daughter's accident and the divorce. She needed something to keep her busy. Well, I guess I'll go back to the shop for a while."

Pete was sanding the car again when he heard a noise. He looked up and Becky was working on the project she was on before lunch. Pete looked at her a moment and returned to his job. The next thing he knew they had finished all the sanding he had to do on the sheet metal. He stood with a groan and put his sanding block down. Becky finished the fender she was working on at almost the same time and stood also.

Pete looked around and stretched his back. He slapped his hands together then whipped the dust from his jeans. He walked over to the old refrigerator sitting beside the open garage door and opened it. He looked at Becky and asked, "You want something to drink? I have beer, coke or unsweetened tea."

"What're you going to have?"

"Beer."

"Great. That sounds really good. I'll have one too please."

Pete and Becky took their ice cold beer outside and sat under the large tree beside the driveway. Pete looked out over the current river and stretched his legs out in front of him. He sighed and said, "Thanks for your help today. I didn't think I'd finish the sanding until at least next weekend. Heck, I am ready to paint at least a week earlier than I thought I would be thanks to you."

"I really enjoyed it Pete. I didn't think once about..." Becky stopped talking and pressed her lips together. Pete saw the tears in her eyes. She shook her head and made a broken sigh.

Pete thought a moment. He really didn't know what to say or do or if he even should say or do anything. Finally he decided to say, "Becky I heard. I mean, well I was told about your daughter and husband. I'm sorry. I know that doesn't help much and I know I really don't know what you are really going through but I sort of do too. My life turned to shit and I had to divorce Cindy. I lost my daughter then too because she took Cindy's side and won't talk to me at all. I know it's not the same as you had to go through but I sort of know. If you want to talk about it or something I'll listen."

Becky was sitting in her chair silently crying. Pete didn't know what to do. Finally he stood and walked over to Becky. He put his hand on her shoulder. She turned to him and rested her face on his hip while her body shook in her sorrow.

Finally Becky stood. She didn't look at Pete. She said in a quivering voice, "I need to go Pete. Thanks. I had a really good time today. And thank your mother for the great lunch. I need to get home and check on Mom."

Pete watched Becky drive off. For some reason he felt like crap. He hated to see her cry. It was almost as if he had done something to her.

The next Thursday afternoon Pete answered his phone and it was Becky. She said, "Hi Pete. Are you going to work on your car Saturday? If you are can I help? I really enjoyed myself last Saturday and thought if you didn't mind I would really like to help some more."

Pete laughed and said, "Do I look that stupid? Free help from a nice and pretty woman and on my car to boot? Sure come on out. I'll be starting about the same time. I'll tell mom to expect you for lunch too."

"Oh, NO. I couldn't do that. I'll just go home or bring something."

Pete laughed and said, "Oh no you won't. You're not going to get me in trouble with mom. If you help you'll eat here and like it young lady."

Becky laughed and said, "Oh, ok. If you insist. I'll see ya Saturday morning."

That Saturday the two friends stripped out the inside of the old car. They took out everything that had not been previously taken out including a lot of the instruments from the dash board. They pulled the weather stripping from the windows and doors that had not been previously taken off and removed all the inside trim. They sanded down the rough spots and Pete used a small portable sand blaster to knock off some difficult rust. He was now ready to prime the interior metal prior to painting.

On Wednesday morning Pete decided it was time to take the interior panels and seats to the upholstery shop. He was taking them to Poplar Bluff and didn't want to make the trip alone. He called and invited Becky to go with him. She sounded surprised to hear from him and equally surprised at the invitation. She was silent a moment then quietly said, "Ok. Uh when are you leaving?"

"As soon as I get to your place. I already have the things loaded in my truck. It that ok?"

"But I have to shower and get dressed. I can't..."

Pete broke into her sentence and said, "Becky unless you've been doing something really dirty you don't need a shower. You really don't have to dress up for this trip either. We're going to an auto upholstery shop. They're used to seeing people in work clothes. I've seen you in work clothes too. What's the big deal? If you insist I don't mind waiting but if not whatever you have on is fine. I'm in my work clothes."

"Well ok but..."

"Beck do whatever you feel is right but I'll be in work clothes. I plan on getting dirty unloading so why wear good clothes. Now do you need some time or should I come on over?"

"Ok. I'll be ready when you get here. I'm sorry."

"Nothing to be sorry about Beck. Catchya in a few."

Pete picked Becky up quickly and they were on the road. She had on the same type faded jeans and shirt she wore when they worked on the old car. When she saw Pete's old frayed jeans she relaxed and smiled. They immediately fell into a comfortable conversation and the miles flashed by. The drive was only about 44 miles so they barely got a good conversation started before they were in town looking for the upholstery shop.

It was almost noon before their business was completed. Pete looked over at Becky and asked where she wanted to eat. She looked shocked and said, "Oh, we don't have to eat here. We can be home by one or one thirty and I can eat there."

"No. I like mom's cooking and all but I was really hoping to get a pizza or something unless you wanted something else. I haven't had a good pizza in a long time now."

Becky smiled widely and said, "That sounds great. Pizza is one of my favorite foods and I don't get it often enough either. Let's get one."

Pete and Becky ordered a large super supreme and ate it all before they left. They talked and laughed all during the meal. It was after two p.m. before Pete paid for the meal (after an argument with Becky) and they left for home.

It was now an accepted fact that Becky would be at Pete's house every Saturday morning to help on restoring his old car. They worked together and became closer friends over the summer. The old car was now almost finished. The Saturday Pete intended to begin bolting the hood, grill, fenders and trunk lid to it finally arrived. Unfortunately and to Pete's surprise Becky didn't arrive. He waited thirty minutes after her normal arrival time and finally decided to phone her.

Her phone rang and rang then finally went to voice mail. He left a message and went on to work. He really needed a helper for the work he planned on today. He was only able to do little small jobs and he constantly worried about Becky.

Finally about noon she called. He could tell she was upset. She apologized for not calling him to tell him she wasn't coming out. Through her sniffles she said, "Mom's in the hospital in the Bluff (Poplar Bluff, MO). I'm sorry I didn't call you Pete. She fell in the shower this morning and broke her leg and pelvis. She is still unconscious. Oh Pete I'm so scared. I'm sorry I didn't call you though."

"No problem Becky. I understand. Is there anything I can do?"

"No. I'm fine. Thanks though."

Pete continued working after the call for about ten minutes. He couldn't keep his mind on his work. Finally he put everything away and locked the door to the shop. He went into the house and showered. Pete dressed in casual sport clothes and went into the kitchen where his mother was already preparing lunch. She looked at him with a question on her face. He said, "Mom Becky called. Her mother's in the hospital. She fell this morning and broke a lot of bones. She's still unconscious. I'm going to the Bluff to keep her company."

Pauline smiled and looked at Pete with knowing eyes. All she said was, "Tell her we're sorry and if there's anything we can do have her let us know. You be careful son."

Pete didn't break the speed limit badly but he did make the 49 mile drive to the hospital in Poplar Bluff in 40 minutes. Considering he drove through town in Van Buren and the Bluff however he did make some pretty good time.

Pete had a little difficulty finding Becky. Finally he had to call her because the hospital would not tell him which room her mother was in. When Pete walked into the room Becky stood from her chair and walked rapidly up to Pete. She wrapped her arms around him and hugged him then said, "Pete you didn't have to come here. We'll be fine. But thank you for coming."

Pete looked at the pale woman in the hospital bed. She was covered in bruises and tubing. He asked, "How is she?"

Becky pressed her lips together and just shook her head from side to side. Then she said, "She lost a lot of blood internally from the breaks. She has osteoporosis and bleeds a lot from the breaks. She had a bad concussion. I just don't know Pete. I'm not sure how badly she wants to go on either. She's been so lonesome since Daddy died and then when" Becky began crying. Finally she continued, "When my daughter got killed too and with my divorce she just sort of almost gave up I guess is the word I want to use. I just don't know Pete."

Pete stayed with Becky the rest of the day. There was little change in her mother's condition and what there was wasn't for the better. Pete went out and got another pizza for their supper. They ate it in the hospital waiting room.

Becky's mother was in Intensive Care so they were only allowed to be with her for short times. The rest of the time they sat in the ICU waiting room. Pete and Becky were huddled together on an uncomfortable love seat when they were awakened by a doctor.

Becky looked up at the doctor and knew. She was already crying before he told her that her mother had died. She turned to Pete and wrapped her arm around his neck. She was crying so hard her whole body was shaking. Pete wrapped his arm around her and gently held her. He kissed the top of her head and gently began rubbing his hands up and down her back.

Finally Becky raised her head and looked at the doctor. She managed to whisper, "Thank you for what you did Doctor. What do I need to do now?"

"We have all the information we need Ms. Potter. You can have the funeral home pick up your mother here any time after eight tomorrow morning." He put his hand gently on Becky's shoulder for a moment and said, "I'm sorry for your loss." He quickly turned and moved back into the hallway and was quickly out of sight.

Pete gently held Becky for a while longer then said, "Come on Honey. Let's get you home. We can take care of the rest of it tomorrow after you've gotten some rest."

Pete didn't even ask Becky. He drove straight to his parent's home and stopped the truck. Becky had been sleeping and woke up when he stopped. She looked around and said, "Pete what are we doing at your parent's house? I can stay alone. It's not a problem."

"Yeah it is Becky. You don't need to be alone now and I don't want you to be alone now. Come on. You can use my bed and I'll use the couch. We'll sort things out later. Right now we both need to get some sleep."

If Pete's parents woke up when they came into the house they didn't check on him. Pete put Becky in his bedroom and grabbed a blanket then crashed on the couch. He didn't sleep all that well and finally gave up about 5:30 a.m. He was up and sitting on the back porch with his first cup of coffee before his mother came into the kitchen. She got herself a cup of coffee and sat on the porch with Pete.

They hadn't done anything except say good morning when to his surprise Becky came onto the porch. Pete was happy to see she at least had gotten herself a cup of coffee. Pauline looked up with shock when she heard then recognized Becky.

Becky's eyes were red and puffy. Her face was mottled. Pauline said, "Becky. I didn't expect to see you here. Are you ok?"

Becky bit her lower lip. Pete could see it tremble. He jumped from his chair and wrapped his arms around Becky. She buried her head under his shoulder and began shaking. Pete turned to his mother and said, "Becky's mother passed away last night mom. I didn't want her to be alone so I put her to bed in my room and slept on the couch."

Pauline jumped from her chair and wrapped her arms around Becky also. She said, "Oh, you poor girl. Of course you can stay here. Stay as long as you want. I'm so sorry. I didn't know your momma well but she seemed like a wonderful woman." Pauline maintained the hug for a few more seconds then released Becky and moved into the house.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.