Adrift - Cover

Adrift

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 15

"16," he called.

The pit boss looked at me, "What are the next three numbers?"

"Double zero, 17, double zero, the last one I know for sure is seven spins from the last double zero. Understand me ... I'm not going to bet ... I was sure I was going to lose ... I was hoping for a big loss to offset my taxes when I won the Five hundred ninety million, five hundred twenty thousand. I don't have a clue what I'm doing ... I've only done this once before in my life."

The croupier spun the wheel ... tossed the ball in the other direction ... it rattled around and bounced, finally coming to a stop on double zero. "Double zero," he called. "No bets on double zero." He cleared the table.

"Hold up, Charley ... folks ... I'm gonna need a couple of minutes to check the wheel." He crawled under the table and looked for magnets or screwjacks. The bouncers came over and lifted the wheel and replaced the bearings. I got a good look under the wheel and it's bed ... no tricks I could see.

"Listen" he whispered to me," ... place a million dollar plaque on 17 ... let's see if we can cut down on your taxes." He opened the wheel to the people. "Bets down? Ladies and gentlemen you have until Charlie says 'No more bets, please, ' to make any bets or remove bets already placed."

The wheel was spun ... the ball went next. As soon as the ball ticked one of the metal pockets, Charley said, "No more bets, please."

The ball rattled around ... like they do ... it bounced out of seventeen twice before it finally fell in 17. That paid 35 million. Instead of a pile of plaques I got a Credit Card.

"Ladies and gentlemen ... Charlie has a card reader ... would someone or two of you please verify the balance?"

A couple of rather European looking gentlemen stepped up to Charlie's step and verified the card.

I placed it on double zero. There was a very big sigh ... this was sure death. Charlie spun ... the ball was spun in the opposite direction..."Double Zero," said Charles. "House pays Double zero."

The pit boss picked up the card and ran it through a reader. "One billion, two hundred twenty million," he said and handed the card up to Charlie. "Verify, please."

The table was in shock ... a different pair of verifiers stepped up. The lady nearly fainted. Charlie passed me the card ... I dropped it on 10 black. 10 is between 25 and 27. The whole table picked up their bets and dropped them on 10 ... this could get nasty.

"You people know this is just beginners luck?" I said. "I've never played before."

"Shut up ... spin, Charlie."

"25 red," called Charlie as the ball finally stopped ... right next to 10. The lady that verified the billion dollar card fainted.

I asked for a receipt for the loss ... the pit boss and the four verifiers witnessed it.

I walked to the payout cage.

"As I understand the tax laws ... if I get a verified receipt for the loss I can declare it on my taxes and offset my winnings?" I was asking the IRS agent who had a table next to the cashiers cage.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.