A Southern Warming - Cover

A Southern Warming

Copyright© 2013 by SlaterChance

Chapter 25

There is nothing quite as beautiful as a fresh snowfall. In a matter of a few hours, the fall landscape of barren trees and predominate browns, can been transformed into a breathtaking winter wonderland. Objects that you really don't want to see are hidden under the cover of the white winter blanket. Pine braches sag under the weight of the heavy snow. Tiny sparkles emanate from the gentle covering that softens the harshness of the dormant landscape.

I had risen early to make some coffee for Anna. She was still sleeping soundly. I wondered whether she would still be feeling the effects of jet lag after her long flight. I wanted to do my best to make her adjustment as easy as possible.

"It is so beautiful outside," Anna said as she came up behind me.

I had not heard her movements, as I had been watching the squirrels outside the window. The white-eared old fellow had chewed through the rope and the corn feeder had fallen to the ground. "I will fix him," I had thought to myself. I would need to string the corn up with a wire. Filling the feeder might be more difficult, but it would make me the victor in this most recent round in a battle of wits.

I turned slowly toward Anna. Was she really in my house? Had it all been just a dream?

But there she was. Even though her eyes were still clouded by sleep, she was still the most beautiful person I had ever encountered. I could not think of any famous movie star that would be able to hold a candle to her allure.

"What are we going to do today," Anna asked. She still seemed to be a little groggy.

"I think we will get a tree first. After that, I have a surprise," I said, with a hint of mystery in my voice.

Anna's eyes twinkled as she gave me one of those beautiful smiles.

"It sounds like fun."

While Anna freshened up, I proceeded to scramble some eggs and toast some English muffins. When Anna arrived back in the room, the food was ready and we sat down to eat. It was such a special occasion for me to be able to share the morning with another human being. It had been some time since I had been able to enjoy that experience.

Being that it was the weekend, we had the whole day to ourselves. We chatted about various things while we ate. I startled Anna when I called her excitedly to the window. A large pileated woodpecker was trying to get at the bird food. He clung with tenacity to the wire of the cage, while his body hung in an awkward position. Finally, he flew off to find some less challenging food source.

"It is so big," Anna commented.

"I really enjoy them," I said. "It's a big deal whenever they come around."

After breakfast, we headed outside for the trip to the tree farm. The weather had warmed up to about fifteen degrees, with little wind, so the trip wouldn't be that cold. I had bought some winter gear for Anna and I knew that she would look lovely in the outfit.

I had purchased a white fluffy hat for her head. The jacket was also white with a good amount of fur lining the collar, sleeves, and other openings. The mukluks were a nice touch, covering her feet and completing the look of a winter princess.

The cool air of the countryside felt refreshing and pure. Sunlight shone brightly on the virgin white snow. I caught the glimmer of tiny white crystals that seemed to be floating in the air. It was definitely one of those winter mornings that should be enjoyed to the max.

While Anna was looking around and taking in the beauty of it all, I proceeded to load my backpack with a rope, tarp, and a saw. After throwing that in the back of my vehicle, I then hooked up the trailer and we headed out into the countryside.

It turned out to be the kind of winter scene that I had hoped for. Drifts of pristine white snow lined the sides of the road. Cattle, heavy and dark, were scattered about the rolling hills. Bright red barns displayed their vibrant color for all to see.

"Look, what are those? Anna asked excitedly.

"Why, those are wild turkeys," I replied.

At least forty turkeys stood in a chopped-down cornfield with at least half of them standing tall against the background of pines. It was easy to distinguish the coloring of their waddles.

"They are so big," Anna exclaimed.

"Yes, they are," I responded. "I'd like to serve one to you for Thanksgiving someday."

A red fox skirted the edge of one of the tree lines. I thought his coat looked extra golden in that particular setting. I could see that Anna had seen the animal also.

I took the scenic route, which took us down winding roads that weaved through trees coved with snow, and ponds that had not yet been crossed by snowmobiles. Each bend in the road would supply us with something new to study and appreciate.

I crossed a railroad track and told Anna we were close. Just then a large dog came running out of a driveway. It startled me and I had to swerve to avoid hitting him. The road had been packed down and it was easy for me to regain control.

I turned down the next long driveway. It didn't look like much from the road, but I knew we were in for a treat.

The man that owned the land was getting up in years. Each year it was questionable whether he would be open again. He had started the farm as source of money for his daughter's college fund and it had become more of a hobby than something that he did to get rich.

His trees were decently priced and I knew I could always find the right tree. Whether I wanted a twelve or six footer, I knew it would not be difficult to locate. I parked in the lot near the pole barn and grabbed my pack. I grabbed Anna's hand and we headed though the dark tunnel of pines that led to the field of trees.

The evergreens provided an amazing gateway to the view that opened up before us. We saw snow-laden pines lining the edges that must have stood thirty feet in height. Blue sky, soft wispy clouds, and tree after tree were the only things in our line of view. We spotted a few birds soaring in the sky.

"It is beautiful," Anna said.

"It really is," I replied. "I could just stand here all day and enjoy all this scenery."

"You might get a little cold," Anna responded with a twinkle in her eye.

It didn't take long to find a tree. I made a note of where it was and then led Anna down by the pond. It was frozen and covered with snow. I wanted to show her the massive oak that had occupied the spot for over a hundred years.

"What do you think of that tree," I asked.

"It's huge," she responded.

I looked upward at the rippled braches as they pointed upward into the sky. There is always something about the upper portion of trees, against the background of the sky, which intrigues me. I know it is usually only me, but I have always found the view fascinating.

Together, we could barely touch each other's fingers as we stretched around the tree. Anna giggled when a drift of snow caught her in the face, while she was looking upward. I was there quickly to wipe it away with a gentle brush of my hand.

We returned to our tree, but I could no longer find it.

"No problem," I said. "We'll just find another."

And we did. I yelled "Timber," as I made the final cut. The tree just stood there. I gave it a gentle push and that was all that was needed to finish the task. I loaded the tree onto the tarp, and together, we proceeded to drag the tree down the path and through the tunnel of pines.

Suddenly Anna stopped dead in her tracks. I continued to pull and the tree began to fall off the tarp.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"A b-b-b-bear," Anna replied. She had a terrified look on her face.

I thought I caught the hind end of the creature as it took off into the woods.

"Come on. It looks like he has left. He's probably more afraid of you then you are of him."

I really said that to ease her fear. It was evident that she was pretty shook up. I grabbed her and held her tight.

"I'm not going to let anything happen to you," I said. "Let's get this tree wrapped and into the trailer."

Together, we pulled the tree out into the lot without any further encounters. We handed the tree off to the guys with the shaker and netter, and headed into the cabin to pay for our purchase and to drink some cider. It was a picturesque little cabin which had been painted a bright red and bordered with white trim.

As we walked through the door, we were pleasantly surprised with the smell of pine and a wave of warm air. Wreaths lined one wall and a potbellied stove stood burning brightly in the center of the room.

"Did you find a tree?" the old man asked.

"Yup! And it's a beauty I replied.

"We saw a bear," I continued.

"Oh you did!" was his reply. "I don't like to mention him because he might scare folks off. I placed my foot alongside one of his tracks the other day. I wear a size thirteen and he had me easily beat. He is a big fellow, but harmless."

"See, what did I tell you," I said to Anna. "It's ok; why don't you sit and warm up by the fire."

I wrote out a check and then grabbed a couple of bags of popcorn and cider for the two of us. The warmth of the cider was deeply appreciated after our trek through the woods. An old black lab came over to have his head scratched.

"How would you two like to go on a sleigh ride? The old man asked. "You look like a nice couple."

"How would that be possible?" I responded.

"My neighbor has a sleigh and he occasionally gives rides. If you want, I'll call him and see if he is busy."

"I think that would be a great idea."

Immediately the words of that winter song came to mind;

Dashing through the snow,

in a one horse open sleigh.

Over the fields we go,

laughing all the way.

I looked at Anna and smiled. This trip was turning out much better than I expected.

It wasn't that long before we heard the jingling of bells outside the door.

"I think that's him," the old guy said.

We got up from our table and walked outside. There in the snow, was a one horse open sleigh being pulled by a magnificent Morgan. The sleigh was red with black leather seats. It looked like a scene right out of the Christmas songbooks.

"Hop in folks and I'll give you a ride," the driver of the sleigh said as he flashed us a big smile.

I helped Anna up the step and onto the seat. When we were both situated, the driver handed us a blanket to put over our laps.

"This will be a little different from our carriage ride in Charleston," I whispered to Anna.

The driver gave a little flick of the reins and we were off. We headed down a path that circled around the perimeter of the tree farm. We could see that other folks were still searching for trees. A few would stop and point in our direction. For a stretch, we travelled through a tunnel of tall dark pines. It was beautiful and mysterious at the same time.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.