A Southern Warming
Chapter 22

Copyright© 2013 by SlaterChance

"I think we might have a plan that would enable us to get your friend here on a work-study program at the University."

Brenda looked amazing as usual. I seemed to get the sense that she wanted to make herself as attractive to me as she possibly could. Of course, it was most likely just my imagination. She had probably dressed like she would on any other work day. However, I really did enjoy the view.

I guess it's no wonder that men will do just about anything when they fall under the spell of a woman. I have heard stories of men who will steal, kill, or give up kingdoms, just to be with the one woman who makes them feel like it is all worthwhile. I guess no one should fault me for trying to connect with my lady love.

We had a wonderful lunch together and I shared some of the plans I had come up with for her lobby. Brenda would nod her head when she approved of a certain sketch or design. She also told me that she looked forward to working with me in the future.

I passed the information on to Brenda which she would need to contact those whom Anna reported to. I had little doubt that they would jump at this opportunity to share knowledge with such a highly esteemed institution. My only real concern was that there might be some internal rivalry as to why Anna was picked over people with more experience. I guess it would be best to leave that to the people who knew how to handle those types of situations.

When I returned to work, I was on top of the world. I think everyone around me picked up on my excitement. For the remainder of the day, we all had a blast. We were able to get a huge amount of work done and we had fun doing it.

We actually stayed later than usual. The sun was setting as I walked through my front door. I couldn't wait to talk with Anna later in the evening. I made myself something to eat, and then sat down to watch some television. I was just too antsy. I finally got up and went for a run.

The air was cool and refreshing. I could definitely sense a change in the weather. Leaves that had blown across the trail crinkled under my feet. I could smell that distinctive smell of burning brush. Some of the trees were already barren. A cycle that repeats itself every year was beginning once again.

I thought back on how many of those changes of seasons I had experienced in my life. It reminded me that I was such a tiny part of something that was so much bigger than me. That same cycle had been occurring, in pretty much the same way, for thousands of years. Sure there had been a break during the ice age, but after that, everything had eventually returned to normal.

The trees would lose their leaves. My willow would hold its foliage until late December. I would be the only one out raking that late in the year. The pond would freeze over and the snow would come. The world would become one where most people spent the evening inside, waiting once again for the return of warmer weather.

The snow would melt and the tulips would begin to bloom. The world would gradually warm and the trees would begin to bud. Grass would need to be cut and gardens weeded. All too soon, gardens would be harvested, leaves would be raked, and the toys of summer would be put away. Once more the world would be plunged into one of barren scenery, dominated by the white of the snow and the browns of the tree and grasses.

I really wanted it to stop for a year. I wanted the fall too stretch out into January. I wanted to be able to run in my shorts and ride my bike. I wanted to walk out my door in a light shirt and feel the warm sun on my face.

According to the weather man, it wasn't going to happen. It looked like we were in for a cold and snowy winter. I came to realize that I would just need to adjust my thoughts accordingly. I knew that once the snow came, I would reluctantly accept the change ahead of me.

I remembered the times when the abrupt change had caught me by surprise. I had gone to bed one evening after handing out candy to the trick or treaters. That evening had been a little cooler, but nothing that would signal any big change.

I could not believe my eyes when I got up to go to work the next morning. I opened my front door to see if any of the pumpkins had been smashed. It was still dark. A gust of freezing air and snow hit me full in the face. A drift of snow, several feet high, had been formed several feet in front of my door. The green world I had experienced the night before had been transformed into a blizzard. Howling winds and blowing snow dominated the landscape.

I had proceeded to pack my winter gear in my vehicle and headed into work. On one country road, I encountered a six foot high snow drift. I grabbed my shovel and got out to dig a path through the snow. As I was working, cars began to line up on either side. I thought surely one of the drivers would grab a shovel or ask if they could relieve me. Not a chance.

"Sure is a lot of snow," one guy commented.

"You're doing a good job," said another.

When I was finished, I went to my car and drove forward before anyone could beat me through. Because the passage was directly in front of my car, I didn't have too much of a problem. As I looked back in my mirror, I saw the other drivers jockeying for a chance at getting through the hole. After that wintry surprise, I tried my best to never get caught off guard again.

...

"Oh Clint, I want to be a cowgirl. I remember watching the old westerns and have always wanted to be part of that scene." It was Anna on the phone and I could tell that she was excited.

I had immediately shared the good news I had learned at lunch. Her excitement had caused her to talk so fast that words had become a mixture of Russian and English. Eventually she had calmed down and had been able to relate to me in one language only.

We were like two teenagers in love and talking on the phone. To think that we would be able to look into each other's eyes once again was almost too much to comprehend. It looked like our reunion was becoming a possibility. Even as old as we were, it still would be difficult to wait.

I remembered that old commercial jingle, "Reach out and touch someone." That is exactly what I wanted to do. I wanted to reach through the phone and touch the soft skin on Anna's cheeks. I wanted to curl her hair between my fingers. I wanted to feel her breath on my lips.

We discussed more details and then said our goodbyes. Parting was even harder than usual. I put down the phone and sunk into my big easy chair.

The fact that she wanted to dress in western wear sent my imagination into full gear. I think there is nothing sexier than a lady in a pair of jeans and a western shirt. Put a cowboy hat on their head and I think they are just about the prettiest women that you ever will see.

It wouldn't be that much of a stretch for her to dress like a cowgirl in our state. There are at least three western-wear stores within eight miles of my house. I wouldn't need to drive more than five miles to find a horse ranch. Our state ranks number fifteen in the number of horses. Some of the most famous outlaws robbed banks within an hour's drive of my house. I could drive several miles to a Fleet Farm store and find saddles and bridles for sale.

I closed my eyes and sat back to relax. Thoughts of Anna riding on a golden palomino filled my mind. I could see myself chasing off after her as she threw her head back in joyous laughter. I guess I must have gradually fallen asleep, because it was three o'clock in the morning when I discovered I was still in my chair. I slowly got up and forced myself to prepare for bed.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.