A Southern Warming - Cover

A Southern Warming

Copyright© 2013 by SlaterChance

Chapter 19

The sea caves were incredible. Seeing them only reinforced the respect that I have for the forces of nature. I was in awe as I studied the results of thousands of years of buffeting waves. That action, along with the freezing and thawing, had created those incredible formations around the edges of the island.

Huge chunks of rock were supported by pillars that looked like they had been chiseled by some ancient Greek temple builder. Caverns had formed and disappeared into the recesses on the side of the cliff. Giant stones stood precariously perched upon pointed bases. Many looked like they could topple with the gust of a mighty wind. Some had.

We had motored out to Devils Island and anchored our sailboat. Then we had climbed into the yacht tender to study the caves up close. The dinghy allowed us to enter a few caves, but it was too wide for some passageways. A kayak would have been the perfect vessel.

One cave was especially interesting. We were able to enter through a wide opening. Once inside, we found ourselves in a large room. Around the room were openings in the rock that allowed sunlight to filter in. Rays of light pierced the water and highlighted the depths below. Shimmering light bounced off the bottom of the pools, reflecting back on the walls of the cave. The sounds of rippling water echoed through the large cavern.

It was definitely not a place where one would like to be found during a windy day. Stories abounded about foolish kayakers who had ignored advice and ventured out when the weather was rough. A number had died when their craft had been knocked against the rocks until they had fallen into the water. Once in the water, they had quickly succumbed to the bitter cold of the mighty lake. When we had left the marina, we had been reminded, by numerous signs, that the mighty lake was never warm.

I recalled one trip when I had canoed down a river that emptied into the lake. While we were in the mouth of the river, the bottom of the canoe had been relatively warm. Being the nature guy that I am, I had been barefoot. As we ventured farther into the lake, the bottom of the canoe suddenly became freezing cold. It was literally so cold that I had to put my feet up near the sides to minimize the pain.

On another occasion, I had swum out the mouth of a river in order to see how far I could go. I was young, strong, and very confident of my ability. Once again the water had turned from that of a warm river to a colder lake. As I swam farther out, the water became freezing cold. I turned and headed back to shore. I was barely able to make it. The cold water had sapped my strength so quickly that I was barely able to plop myself down on the beach.

Visiting the caves was definitely something I could cross off my bucket list. I thought about the fishermen of years past, who must have sailed past those same caves on a daily basis. For me, it would probably be the only time I would be able to visit. Of course, that might change if I were to be able to get Anna to come visit my country again.

I had actually been working to see if I could arrange for her to do some cross-training at the University. Through personal contacts that I had made over the years, I was able to discuss some possibilities with people that could make things happen. I had also shared the needs of the kids at the orphanages and how they could benefit from the visits of some of the graduate students. I explained how it could be a learning process for everyone involved. Of course, I left out the advantages for me.

After exploring the caves, we rowed back to the boat and continued to motor around the islands. We stopped at one island and visited a lighthouse. The grounds around the structure were immaculate and the gardens were well maintained. The air was calm, with barely a breeze.

There was something about the island that gave one a feeling of such peace. Green lawns, white buildings, orange lichens on the rocks, and the blue sky; everything contributed to a feeling of serenity that I had not felt for a long time.

We had brought along a lunch, which we ate while sitting at one of the picnic tables. It was a refreshing lunch and one that I would remember for a long time. We were reluctant to leave the island because we knew that it would be a long time before we would experience another setting like that one.

I realized that we had visited on a calm day. I could only imagine the fury that would be unleashed in the upcoming months. Superior was famous for its gales of November. Many a boat lay at the bottom of the mighty lake due to the power and fury of the autumn storms.

A slight wind had come up and we were able to hoist our sail. We sailed out in the open portion of the lake for a while before heading back toward the islands. I definitely preferred the sight of the islands around me. Wide open water tends to bore me. Stretches of water, with no land in sight, are not my cup of tea. I will take a river, or a lake with islands, any day.

John wanted to return to the cove where we had spent the previous night. We headed back and were able to anchor in our old spot. Once again we rowed to shore. Once there, we proceeded to walk through the woods to our favorite beach.

John proceeded to take a snooze while I did my run. When I was finished with my exercises, I found a comfortable spot and took a nap. The sand was warm, the sun was life-giving, and there was just enough of a breeze to remind us of the beautiful day we were experiencing.

After a relaxing time on the beach, we headed back to our boat. John had a few maintenance chores to do, while I sat and did some reading. After several hours of reading, I put my book down and prepared to make dinner.

I had informed John that I would make him a special meal on our last night. We had picked up some fresh whitefish before we left and I had brought along some vegetables from my garden. I figured out a way to bake the fish and proceeded to cut up the tomatoes, basil, and other ingredients in order to make bruschetta. I served the fish with a white cream sauce and a bottle of my favorite wine.

For one final time, we sat and relaxed in a beautiful setting, free from the lights and the noise of the city. We watched as the sun made its exit for the day. The sky was free of any clouds, so the sun retreated as a huge orange ball. Soon after its departure, the sky grew dark.

I had forgotten how many stars there were in the sky. As I looked upward, I could see the Milky Way. The various constellations that I had knowledge of, stood out easily against the dark background of the vast blackness. I was humbled by the fact that we were just one small blimp in a massive universe. One small blimp ... but we think our lives are so important. I said a prayer for my mom, for Anna, and for all the other people that I held dear.

Sleep came quickly that night.

When we awoke, we ate breakfast and prepared to get underway. We had a good number of miles to travel and we were fortunate enough to have a gentle breeze. It was not as strong as we would like, but it would enable us to make fairly good time on our return to the mainland.

As I passed various displays of natural beauty, I was in awe. I kept repeating, under my breath, just how amazing the scenery around me was. I knew that very shortly I would once again be back in the world of concrete, sheetrock, and asphalt. I wondered if I lived in the area I was now visiting, whether I would grow gradually accustomed to the views around me. Deep inside, I knew it would always be a wonder.

The wind picked up and we found ourselves moving at a quicker pace. I had wanted to see the sea caves at Sand Island, but had been fortunate enough to visit the ones at Devil's Island. The other caves were in a different direction and would have to wait for another trip.

We enjoyed a relatively simple lunch and took turns at steering the boat. Eventually, we saw the church steeple and knew that we were getting close to our destination. We took down the sail and started the motor for the remainder of our voyage. John brought us in like the expert sailor he was. It did not take long to secure the boat and prepare for our trip home.

I paused on the dock, trying to lock in the memories. I really didn't want to leave. I had enjoyed my time with John. We always got along well together. Then I thought of how much fun it would be to experience the same adventure with Anna. At present, it seemed like only a dream. But who knew, I thought. I had seen other impossible dreams come true.

We stopped and picked up some smoked fish before heading back. I always like to have some to take to work in my lunch. I enjoy the taste and it helps me to remember the fun I had on a special trip. I also asked John to stop at an orchard so I could pick up some apples.

The orchard that we picked was a beauty. A magnificent old mansion lay nestled among the trees. The driveway to the shop was lined with trees hanging heavy with fruit. A beautiful Collie watched us lazily from his favorite spot on the steps.

As soon as we opened the door to the shop, we were surrounded by a bevy of fragrances from the items waiting to be sold. We were greeted by a handsome older woman.

"Welcome fellas, how may I help you?" she said with an amazing smile.

She reminded me of one of my favorite aunts. She had a pleasant face that was highlighted by a head of vibrant white hair. Her eyes had a sparkle and her very presence gave off an aura of warmth and kindness.

"We are looking for some apples," I responded.

"Oh, those are up at the shed," she replied. "Feel free to walk through the orchard if you desire. We want you to enjoy your visit to our place."

We thanked her and walked out the door. We decided to take a short detour and walk through the trees. On one side of us stood a row of apples tree that were waiting to be picked. On the other side was a row of grape vines. I picked a grape and placed it in my mouth. I slowly bit down and waited as the juices and flavors became distinguishable on my tongue. It was good. It was really good.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.