Masi'shen Evolution - Cover

Masi'shen Evolution

Copyright© 2013 by Graybyrd

Chapter 13: Diplomacy and Suppression

"Perhaps we could ask for volunteers?" Michael asked, looking to Jon'a-ren.

"Not necessary," Jon'a-ren responded. "When the first rumors were heard in the fleet, every ship's captain volunteered themselves and their crews. As I understand it, the crews themselves requested that their captains volunteer for them. Every vessel, every crew, and every captain, seek the honor of accompanying you to Earth. Each wishes to remain on station, in orbit, able to come to your assistance and to continue our studies of Earth and its peoples."

"We are honored," Michael responded. "Please tell them all that we are humbled by their support for our mission. I will leave it to the Council to make the selection."

It had been a long and exhausting time for Michael and Jon'a-ren, persuading the Council to send a diplomatic mission to Earth. It was a completely alien concept. Never in their history had the Masi'shen maintained off-world liaison with other planets or cultures. Even the very concept of ambassadorial and diplomatic contact was foreign to them.

Michael spent long hours explaining the concept and providing examples of diplomatic missions in practice. He explained that the primary purpose was to facilitate peaceful relations between peoples and cultures of disparate beliefs and practices, and that it was meant to foster greater understanding and acceptance. The Masi'shen leaders became more interested and asked many probing questions. Ultimately, he was able to provide sufficient information that they had a basic understanding. Acceptance quickly followed. The it was a matter of determining the logistics, the personnel, and the resources needed to send out the first delegation to Earth.

"Who do we talk to?" Jon'a-ren asked.

"That's easy," Michael replied. "The only entity on Earth that is in any position to speak for the planet and her peoples is the United Nations. Which raises an interesting problem. The United Nations building and offices are located in New York City, in the United States. To appear there, we would have to enter the United States and have freedom of movement within the city. I do not think that President Stinson would allow that. Admittedly, we've had no contact with Earth since we left, but I'm thinking that his hostility toward us has not changed.

"What do you suggest?" Jon'a-ren asked.

"First, I think we should go to Earth and establish orbit. Then we will establish a solid communications link with our loved ones, and our friends. Then we can arrange to contact the Secretary-General of the U.N., and begin a dialogue with him and his staff. After that, it's just a matter us of going where the situation leads. Conceivably, it could be necessary to establish a satellite embassy in a neutral nation. The more I think about it, I very much doubt that President Stinson will allow any representative from the Masi'shen world to set foot on American soil, especially not in the capacity of a United Nations liaison to Earth.

"I've not had the chance to explain, but a certain percentage of the American population fears the very concept of the United Nations. That includes a significant number of their state and national leaders. Generally speaking, they fear the possibility of a one world government threatening American sovereignty. Which is odd, in a way, given their history and the structure of their union. It was the original states whose people agreed to join together into a single national, federated government. That is why they call themselves the United States. Yet they steadfastly refuse to yield to the concept of a federated world, even to the limited degree of a world organization as represented by the United Nations. The U.N. has no power to affect the sovereign self-determination of the U.S. or any other nation, but it's not possible to convince the opposing faction of that fact," Michael explained.

"So, advise me. If we, the Masi'shen, establish a meaningful liaison with the United Nations, does that mean that your nation, the United States, will not accept or honor our involvement?"

"Sadly, that is probably what will happen. I actually believe that as long as Albert Stinson and his followers are in control of the U.S. government, they will never acknowledge the Masi'shen as having any rights whatsoever. I suspect they will take the position that we are completely outside of their legal system as it applies to human society or human rights, because we are not human."

"Of course, we could try to argue our cause before the American Supreme Court. That assumes they would consent to hear our plea--a rather unlikely prospect--and if, by some miracle, the court favored the Masi'shen as deserving the application and protection of American law, it would remain most unlikely that the Stinson administration would permit our entry."

"Incredible..." Jon'a-ren hissed. "What possible hope could there be, then?"

"The other nations of Earth are beyond U.S. control. Some may be heavily influenced by U.S. attitudes or coercions or threats, but many are not. I am certain we will be well received by a majority of nations. We will establish a meaningful mission, and we will find a safe and secure means of conducting our relationship with Earth. I think for the moment that we should focus on getting there and staying there, to establish diplomatic links with the planet."


"What the hell do you mean, we can't shoot the bastards down!?"

President Stinson stood at the end of the situation room table, both of his hands planted on its surface, leaning forward to stare with outrage at the military commanders seated before him.

"I'm certain that we've explained this before, Mr. President. We simply do not have the capability to strike a fast-moving object freely maneuvering in space. We've only recently developed a reliable method of hitting and destroying orbital objects that have a known, predictable path. But if the target is able to randomly alter its path, or is beyond a certain distance from the planet, we do not have the technology to intercept and hit it with anything. That is currently the situation with the Masi'shen shuttle.

"Unacceptable! I won't accept that for a minute, and I am damned sure the American people will demand that we find some way to blow that alien intruder out of our space! If you don't have people scrambling to find a solution, I'd advise you to get working on it immediately!"

"Yes, Mr. President. That is something we've been researching for a number of years, but I must repeat: we simply do NOT have the technology. We don't know where to begin! Until we can develop advanced, freely-maneuverable space vehicles, or more powerful beaming weapons mounted on orbital platforms, we don't have any hope of developing a working solution."

Stinson's face contorted in rage.

"General Hopewell, get your sorry ass out of my situation room! You are fired, stripped of your rank, your pay, your retirement, your medical benefits, and every other damned thing you are taking from our nation. I will not listen for one more second to your whining, sniveling, pathetic excuses. We can't do it is not an acceptable answer! You were commissioned to provide solutions, not to spout excuses for failure!"

Stinson looked to the marine guard standing by the door. "Marine, escort this man to the nearest holding cell. Under no circumstances is he to be released. Maintain a 24-hour armed guard until I issue further orders for his disposition. Do it NOW!" he screamed.

The marine glanced nervously at the high-ranking brass seated at the table. Everyone studied their hands clasped tightly in front of them. Nobody looked up. The marine lance corporal swallowed hard, and stuttered his apologetic request to General Hopewell: "Please, Sir ... if you ... uhh ... please, Sir. Come with me?"

Hopewell scooped up his papers, shoved them into his open briefcase, and stepped towards the flustered marine.

"No problem, son. Do your duty."

They left the situation room.

Stinson glared at the remaining men and women in uniform at the table. They all glanced at each other. Silent anger showed on their faces, their mouths set in tight lines, their jaws clenched, their eyes hard and cold. No one spoke.

"I want an answer!" Stinson raged. "I want that alien menace out of our space, immediately! Destroy it ... blow it to hell! NOW, damn you all to hell, do you hear me? DO IT NOW!"

No one answered. First one, then another, then all of them rose. They gathered their papers and briefcases, and with no one saying a word, they left the White House situation room. Stinson stared at their backs.


The Masi'shen ship T'shu'sin-ula (Galaxy Discoverer) circled the moon in orbit. She was visible to telescopes of modest size, meaning that anyone with a decent home telescope could see and marvel at the orbiting craft. If they were lucky, they might catch a glimpse of a tiny dot detaching itself from the ship. It was one of several shuttles that could make a fast jump to Earth for atmospheric entry.

Lunar orbit was chosen as the best compromise between proximate access and reasonable security. If some Earth entity attempted to interdict the ship, there would be more than sufficient warning of their approach. Yet the lunar orbit was near enough for fast and easy shuttle access to the planet.

Each atmospheric entry was plotted to avoid over-flying American territory. Approaches to landing sites in several hosting nations were randomized to deny hostile forces easy interception. It was a regrettable, but sensible, precaution.

Michael's assessment of the hostile American attitude was correct. There was no possible way the Masi'shen delegation would be permitted entry into the United States for United Nations participation. The solution, suggested by the U.N. secretary-general and the governing council, was simple enough. Ambassadorial quarters were established in Geneva, Switzerland. Telecommunications links were provided for live participation of the Masi'shen representative before the U.N Assembly in New York.

The United States ambassador to the U.N. was ordered to obstruct, or veto if necessary, any action by the U.N. regarding the Masi'shen delegation. In an unprecedented move, the U.N. member nations voted, unanimously, to rescind the American veto power (Israel did not vote, they abstained). Whereupon, President Stinson ordered his U.N. ambassador home and demanded that Congress withdraw America's membership in the United Nations. Congress refused despite a storm of White House threats and a blizzard of executive orders.

By an overwhelming vote of the United Nations' General Assembly, the majority of Earth's nations acted in unity to welcome the Masi'shen delegation. They formally agreed to establish diplomatic relations between the two peoples.


Suppression

The black of night found the small town totally asleep. Only a few restless dogs, allowed to run loose, prowled at the edge of town, following scent trails. No humans were awake. If someone had been awake in those few hours before dawn and had happened to glance over toward the Chief Joseph Cemetery, they might have noticed two pale, shimmering forms near a fresh grave.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.